“Great value, clean room”

La Quinta Inn Tucson East
Ranked #65 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Sahuarita, Arizona
“Great value, clean room”
Reviewed 15 September 2011

We usually stay at La Quintas when we travel, and we were not disappointed this time. We switched to this hotel after our reserved one turned out to be a trash hole and were able to get the room we needed for the time we needed with no problem. The room was clean and didnt smell of smoke (which has not been the case in all non-smoking rooms we've stayed in). The staff we encountered were friendly and the breakfast was ok. The price was outstanding, especially considering we just showed up without a reservation or online discount or anything. I would absolutely stay here again if we needed to. Also, the location is great. Broadway has most of the good stores/restaurants (not the expensive ones, just your regular chain stores but they are all nice looking) and there is a Denny's right next door on one side and a yummy Mexican restaurant (El Charro Cafe) on the other. We were very happy staying here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mattymatty26

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
San Leon
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The Hotel was very nice, very clean and nice and cool, the continental breakfast was excellent! We would definitely return if Sammy Haggar plays in Tucson again. The Casino there was awesome!

Room Tip: Tell Them your from Texas lol
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TruebllueTexan
Utah
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I was extremely disappointed in my stay at this hotel. I had never stayed in a La Quinta, but I knew they had just completely renovated the one in my hometown, so I decided to give it a try. After arriving at the Tucson airport, I called the hotel and asked if I could be switched from a room with two double beds, to a single queen. The clerk looked up my reservation and told me that would be fine, but when I arrived shortly after to check in, she told me she could not change my room type because I had booked the room through a third party service. Starting with the room, all of the electrical outlets in the room were bad. The lamps and alarm clock would not stay on because the outlets were so flaky, and I was not able to charge my laptop or cell phone. I will say the beds and pillows were comfortable, but there was a disconcerting large yellow stain on my bedsheet one night. The bathroom had mold spots on the ceiling, and the toilet would not flush unless you held the flusher down long enough for the tank to drain. The sink stopper would not open. When maintenance came, he simply removed the stopper completely rather than repairing it so it was functional. The walls have poor patch jobs and are generally beat up. The exterior corridors needed a major power washing. The pool was merky and full of beetles that fall from the trees, and the hot tub was luke warm. The free continental breakfast was certainly not the best I've seen. They set out a small amount of each food item each morning, and when it's gone, it's gone. Pretty much everything is gone long before the breakfast time is over. My wife and I were about the only English speakers in the place, and I noticed the parking lot was full of vehicles with license plates from Mexico. I mention this only to shed light on what this hotel seems to be used for... a stopover for people traveling north. For people used to third world accomodations, this hotel is probably fine, but for anyone else, you will find it is a total dump!

Room Tip: stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank dinsky

Travellers are raving about these Tucson hotels

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 June 2011

We had three rooms for 6 adults.

Upon arrival about 9:00 PM, there were not enough towels in the rooms.
Only one set was available in the office until 8:00 the next morning.

The rooms were not made up on any day we stayed there. We had to call to get fresh towels daily.

In one of the rooms, the air conditioner died. It did not work at all. I called the front desk and reported this, but I was told that there were no rooms available and that a note would be left for the maintenance crew the next morning.

I checked the next morning and there was no note. The manager arrived and we (my wife and I) were given another room.

Room Tip: Book well in advance
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank bbrefhlc
Philadelphia
Reviewed 22 June 2011

This was a short business stay in Tucson and I needed a bed on that side of town. Its right on Broadway near the Park Place Mall, so you'll have access to food and shopping there. My co-workers told me to consider La Quinta. The property looks like an older one with exterior corridors but should have been ok.

My check in was relatively easy and I received the room type I wanted. Just one note for the check in clerk, I flew in and arrived very late in town. One thing I needed was something to eat. So I asked the clerk if he had a suggestion. His response was that I might be out of luck because everything would be closed and might have to drive around a bit. As I pulled the car out of the driveway I saw, Denny's right next door to the hotel. I cannot believe the clerk didn't know this. I realize that Denny's is not everyone's favorite, but at 11:00 PM, it will do.

The room on the surface looked fine. It wasn't until the next morning that I saw something I didn't want. As I went into the bathroom for a shower, the back side of the door was covered in hair. Could have been dog hair. I'm not sure. But it was pretty gross. I did tell the AM clerk about this and he told me it would be taken care of. God I hope so. But I honestly will not be using La Quinta for a while unless I know someone who has stayed at that particular property.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank MR_PHL
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 17 June 2011

My Entertainment book was used to make my online reservation. This location is immaculate, has a helpful staff (in particular, Dave), serves a lovely continental breakfast, is within walking distance to several restaurants, and is a short drive to Park Place Mall. If you are using Mapquest for directions, be forewarned that this hotel is not a mile from the Speedway exit--but approximately a fifteen minute drive from there.

I plan to return to Tucson in the fall and will book a return stay at this location.

Room Tip: Two options available, parking lot or poolside.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 1 May 2011

I have been to several La Quinta Inns in the Phoenix area, and I always found them pleasant. When I had to choose a traffic school, I thought I'd give the traffic school class meeting at La Quinta Inn in Tucson a try. I'm sorry I did.

The meeting room had tables for 18 people, and about 38 showed up. This is not La Quinta's fault, but with the room crowded and stuffy, students began to get hot. While coffee was provided, there was no water. Several students were coughing and hacking. I asked the LQ employee tending to the coffee if she could bring some water. After "no comprende", I simply said "agua". She replied in Spanish in the affirmative. 30 minutes later, no water had arrived, and the students were still coughing and hacking. I decided to find a manager. With only one person at the front desk, and a line of half a dozen people waiting for service, I waited my turn, a bit impatiently I admit as I kept thinking of the others hacking away in the sauna-like meeting room. When it was finally my turn (after about another 30 minutes), a young lady walked right up in front of me to get serviced. I tapped her on the shoulder and stated that I had been waiting in line. She ignored me. I don't appreciate how young, good looking young ladies think they own the world (I know, they just do, get over it). I confronted the lone employee at the front desk and made my request for water for the traffic school. When he simply said he'd send some when he could, and with a long line still behind us, I said "you don't understand, this is a safety & health issue, please send water as soon as possible". He told me he would get the manager. He returned with "the manager is busy, she'll come meet you in the meeting room. Her name is Loretta".

So I went back to the meeting room, where the same coughers & hackers were still at it. A couple of minutes later, an LQ employee came to the meeting room door, which we had left open to get a little airflow inside. I got up and asked her if she was Loretta. She was not Loretta, and she was not the manager. She also had no water. The manager did not show up all morning.

After lunch, I decided to rest in the lobby for a few minutes before class started again. Loretta finally comes out to meet with me in the lobby, not because I had requested her, but to tell me that I am not welcome in the lobby, nor the Inn, and I could only go back to class in the meeting room. She said "there is no provision in the contract with the traffic school for water". I asked her if she was concernred about people's health & safety on her property. She said "take it up with the traffic school". So I went back to class, as requested, and There was still no water.

Finally, about 3pm in the afternoon, God heard my plea and sent down water from heaven ... oh, wait ... it was from the second floor. Evidently someone let the water overflow the bathtub ... or worse? The entire class evacuated the room. I had the last laugh and told the supervisor "that's not the drinking water I was looking for".

Based on the obvious uncaring attitude the LQ people had for people's health and safety on their property ("you're not our customer, the traffic school is"), I will never return to this property for any reason, and will inform everyone I can that LQ management does not care one whit about their health & safety.

Room Tip: Worst inn I've ever been in.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business