“Nice room (accessible) but ....”

La Quinta Inn Tucson East
Ranked #61 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Room was nice but no bracket on the hand-held shower head ... very inconvenient for the care taker traveling with the mobility-challenged partner. Also, advertisement states free daily newspaper at the desk; but, alas, no paper. Have to go next door to Denny's to buy one from the machine. Breakfast was great; however, way too small for the capacity of the facility. Needs to be at least twice the size, if not three times larger. We ended up going to Denny's on the last day because there was no room. If there is no room, I feel that a voucher should be given to the guests having to go elsewhere. Room was clean; bed was heaven; bathroom quite large, however, would have liked to have a towel rack closer to the shower; like the fact that the closed has doors. Also, not enough coffee packets in room and front desk had none until the next morning. But, overall, nice place to stay, although the carpet could stand to be replaced, at least in our room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank susan s
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn Tucson East

Reviewed 8 December 2011

I liked the looks of the hotel, when I first saw it, I was happy with the friendliness and competence of the front-desk, I didn't like that there is no elevator. I did not like, that I did not get a room on the ground floor, because my rate would not allow it .
Still, other than that, everything looked okay, until I opened the door to my room.
The beds were okay, but the chair was very dirty with a big stain and had two big holes, diameter about an inch. One of the bedstand lights didn't work.
When I went to the front-desk to ask for a replacement of the chair and repair of the lamp,
the lady was kind of astonished. "We have to exchange the chair with one from another room".
To be honest, I was a bit shocked, because this solved my problem, but now the ruined chair graces another room. So I cannot really recommend this place despite the nice outside.

Room Tip: Go there only if you travel light or can get a room downstairs.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank VolkerS2
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I thought I would upgrade from my usual Motel 6 stays. Boy, was I wrong! For $25 more per night, I got the same accommodations and highly undesirable treatment from the front desk crew. Lodge a complaint and they accuse you of being at fault - they simply do not care! For 2 occupants, they give you 1 wash rag, 1 bar of soap, 1 tiny bottle of shampoo and 1 itty-bitty trash can without a liner. You fall asleep on the edge of the bed, then wake up in the middle, as if you were sucked into a bottomless pit!

If you make reservations online, forget about "special instructions" making it to the front desk. I ordered a 2-queen, smoking room. My partner and I have bad backs. We were given a room on the second floor, a mile away from parking. After carrying 4 pieces of luggage up the steps and to the room, we discovered there were no ashtrays. We asked the housekeeper - next door - who told us the room was non-smoking. She called the front desk, then informed us we needed to carry all our luggage back down to the front desk to be re-assigned, (we had just arrived from a 7 hour drive!). I was not a happy camper. We were re-assigned a room on the other side of the building on the 2nd floor, a mile away from the closest stairway!

And then, the General Manager called me after I complained to La Quinta Corporate. Rather than be apologetic, he was ruder than his front desk personnel. I wouldn't stay here again if the room was free. The accommodations and service would probably be better in Afghanistan!

No more La Quinta for me. I'll "upgrade" to Motel 6 and save a little cash and a lot of frustration!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank James P
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I really wanted to like La Quinta as they are pet friendly and I have a soft spot for any hotel that welcomes dogs. I didn't bring mine on this trip, but it was nice to see people playing with their dogs in the courtyard.

Front desk (Samantha) was very helpful when I checked in. I got to the hotel a few hours early and she searched and searched to find an available room. I ended up on the upper floor, there are two levels, in a corner room. I noticed that some of the rooms had sliding doors that led out to a private balcony and some (mine) just opened to the outdoor corridor. I was OK with that as I had booked through Priceline and have found that rooms booked through an online discounter (Priceline/Hotwire) are not the property's marquis rooms.

The room itself was entirely forgetable except for a couple of things: a nice Samsung flatscreen TV, surprisingly comfortable beds, free wifi and better then average furniture. On the flip side, the place feels old and dated. For example, the tub has separate hot and cold faucets with a diverter valve in the middle. I havn't seen an array like that in 20 years. And, like most older properties, there is a lack of outlets. If you want to charge a phone, camera or computer it will mean unplugging a lamp or alarm clock.

The pool area looked very nice but I can't comment as it was a cold snap and I never got the chance to use it. Some other reviews complaind about the complimentary breakfast which puzzles me. I was there at 6:30, 7:15 and 8:00 and never had a problem with a lack of food. In fact I witnessed the fruit, bagels and muffins being constantly refilled. (I also witnessed guests stuffing their pockets with fruit, bagels and muffins but that is for a different review.) The breakfast is high carb, plentiful and free. Can't complain about that.

My biggest comlaint is with housekeeping. Each room comes with a coffeemaker, but, after the first night, the coffee was never replaced. I had to go down and pester the front desk for coffee which leads me the final comment about this hotel. In order to keep rain from pooling in the outdoor corridors they built the corridors to angle away from the walls. The result is that when you walk down the corridor the angle is just enough to make you feel like you're walking through a funhouse.

If you get a good deal on one of the on line discounters then this is not a bad place. But if you pay full price to stay here you'll probably be disapointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank R77556
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Front desk and accommodations were great. Stayed 3 days. Day one only the bathroom was cleaned. Beds were not made which made entrance to room after a long day a little disappointing. Day 2,beds were made but bathroom floor had not been swept and kleenex dispenser was empty. Clothes hook on back of bathroom door wouldn't stay up so left it on the counter. They justt put it back on the door loose. I'd be calling a meeting of housekeeping staff!!

Room Tip: There is no bad location of rooms. All rooms have no front window to the road and sliding door to pa...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ALICE N
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Two days there. Two breakfasts supposed to run from 6 am to 9am. First morning, arrived at 8:30 am. Everything gone but waffles and dry cereal. No coffee, juice, water or milk. No protein at all, no bread. Lousy. Second day, same thing except I was there by 7:15 am. Worst ever, but don't eat at the Denny's next door; it smells like a rest home and the food and service is poor.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stacytiffin
Reviewed 16 November 2011

First Staff and management are nice friendly people. The facility itself is in need of some major renovations. Night one, room 1, leaky toilet. Moved to room 2, room 2, AC broken. Moved to room 3, leaky sink, TV not working. My wife had to go back to our previous rooms to get towel, soaps, trash can, and toilt paper. I spoke to the manager who could not assure me that we would not be moved again. Both problems were repaired and manager assured us we could call him at any time with any problem. since we only used the room to sleep and shower we stayed. 5 days, Breakfast is a crap shoot, maybe milk, maybe not, If you got in early you had a better chance at getting a snack. Luckily, there is a Denny;s next door. No hand towels or washcloths unless we asked for them, same with trash can, ashtray, coffee etc. Beds were made daily. trash can might get emptied, you might, or might not get toilet We didn't expect to have to ask for toilet paper. In general room clean up was barely adequate. All in all this was not what we expected at La Quinta. The manager did waive the first nighs cost from our bill. We have stayed and usually enjoy our stays in a LQ, Not this time. We had a great time in Tucson and with our family there, We would joke and wonder, as we left to go to the hotel each night, what will our room be like tonight?

Room Tip: They have smoking rooms on request.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family