“No bugs here”

Ranked #63 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Tempe, Arizona
“No bugs here”
Reviewed 8 March 2011

I am glad I did not see the biologists review before I stayed at the la Quinta last weekend. I was visiting family in Tucson and the hotel was a convenient location. My room as very clean, new carpet and quiet. The hotel is very old. It is the need of outside remodeling. But, I paid $78 including tax for one night. That is a good deal when it includes a breakfast. Cold hard boiled eggs, hot waffles, cold cereals, bagels, muffins, two juices, apples, coffee were provided for breakfast. For a frugal traveler, a muffin, apple and hard boiled egg would make a tidy lunch! Not that I would suggest stealing? from a hotel!

I looked in the bedding and saw no evidence of bugs. I must admit I did not check out the pictures on the wall. who does that?!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Hereford,AZ
Reviewed 26 February 2011

This is an older LaQuinta, but has been mostly redone, except for the bathrooms, which could use some updating. The bed was clean and comfortable. The pool looked nice, outside, but also the area could use some updating, as well. The lobby and breakfast area, were nice.
Breakfast was OK, very busy the morning we were there, so the attendant had to restock
the items quickly. Our check-in was quick, friendly and efficient. Checking out was the same.
Considering this is High season in Tucson, the rate we got couldn't be beat. It is within an easy walk, next door in fact, to Denneys Restaurant. Down the street from Mimi's Cafe and
several other restaurants, also.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I travel a lot for work (more than 300 days a year), so I know a thing or two about hotels. I wasn't expecting a five star place but I certainly wasn't expecting what I got out of this La Quinta. Out of the five people I was traveling with - none of us had a clean room, most didn't have working toilets, and I had dead bed bugs stuck in the wall pictures. Additionally, every morning I had a baby roach parade tromp across my night stand. I thought about switching rooms but I figured my known evil room was better than a random new one.

The front desk staff were rude and constantly having to deal with people living there not paying their bills and also the police. I checked out just in time as the police were handling an issue in the back of the hotel. Seriously, find a different hotel for the same price elsewhere in the city or pay a little extra to not have to deal with the hassle. I was incredibly freaked out about the bed bugs and tore the room apart looking for live ones.

As a biologist with a background in entomology, I completely fear these things and the way they can ruin your home if you should bring them back. Add in that the rooms were dirty and the front desk unpleasant and you have no reason to stay here. On a lighter note, "La Quinta" in this case is actually Spanish for "next to Denny's".

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank FFLaura

Travellers are raving about these Tucson hotels

Emmaus, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 February 2011

I didn't expect much from a LaQuinta, and got it. This hotel is along a commercial area east of Tucson. It's an older two story hotel. It's worn, The key cards use the old punched plastic cards to give you an idea of the age. The room was pretty spacious, but furniture was a bit dated. The beds were average.

The continental breakfast was on par of other hotels in this class. the coffee was really weak, but that could vary day-to-day. There are lots of restaurants and strip malls closeby as an alternative, including a Denny's next door.

There's free internet. I was disconnected shortly after getting connected, but I've experienced similar internet problems with nicer hotels in this same class.

All-in-all, it was maybe just a little less than I expected from a quality standpoint. But I was somewhat disappointed at the quality for $100/night average for our Fri-Mon weekend stay. I must qualify that we were there during a major event weekend, so the prices may have been jacked up from normal.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mdrehm
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 6 February 2011

Made the mistake of just booking this hotel. I thought La Quinta: Safe, clean enough, comfy beds. OMG - yuck! The grounds were fitlhy -- garbage everywhere. The room was filthy and SMELLY with some horrible cleaning product masking the filth. There were used toothpicks on the table. Grime on the fridge and microwave. Food dirt on the walls and beds. They did let me leave though -- weren't even surprised, I don't think. Went to Hampton Inn ... nice.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank lintpen
Temecula, California
Reviewed 18 January 2011

I agree with some of the other reviews, this property is not up to La Quinta standards. La Quinta should remove this from their chain.

To start with, we reserved a room with 2 queen beds (my husband uses a cpap) with a microwave and fridge. We requested a room on the top floor and away from the pool.

What we got was a room with one bed, no amenities and it was facing the pool

Next, the (get THIS) PUNCH CARD KEYS didn't work, so the maintenance man to rekeying it, which he said he had just done that morning.

Also this was not an "Inn"' it is a "motel". The room doors are on the outside.

Because the rates were significantly lower than the other nearest La Quinta, it attracted the type of people who allow their children to run around the pool, screaming and shouting. I can understand this during the day, but at 9:30 at night?

The pool area was nicely landscaped, but everywhere else there was trash and old spill stains. This includes the parking lot. And an old junker was parked in front of the doors for our entire stay.

There was mold in the shower and an anti-slip pad covered years of grime in the tub.

But the worst part was the bed. We both woke after a rough night of noisy neighbors and tossing and turning with raging backaches.

Our stay was supposed to be 2 nights but we checked out in the morning and got reservations at the nearby (and new) Hampton Inn. We told the Hampton Inn clerk that we were La Quinta refugees. That got a chuckle!

Don't waste you money. If this location is were you need to stay, for a little bit more you can stay at the Hampton Inn on Wilmot, across from the Texas Roadhouse (good eatin').

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lyddle_nybble
Park City, Utah
Reviewed 14 January 2011

I am a elite member of La Quinta, and this is the worst hotel in the Chain. Rooms are ok, except for the mold in the Bathtub. Breakfast is ok, but out of cream and multiple items. Outside is a mess trash all over the grounds. This should not be in the La Quinta Chain

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple