“Desert Resort Getaway”

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Ranked #7 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 8 June 2012

May be the best place to stay in Tucson! Our 2-night getaway there was first-class. Super location; right at the base of the mountains. Our room was replete with comfortable, expensive furniture. Bathroom looked as though it had been remodeled recently. Largest shower that I've ever been in! TV in bathroom! Closet with the old-fashioned hangers (that's a plus), not the newer "can't-steal-these" types. HD TV. Staff was very helpful. Also nice wrinkle -- they call you by name in the restaurant. A big plus for me was NO RESORT FEE, in June of 2012 anyway. Yes, you do pay for things like in-room internet (it's free in the lobby), using the gym, and there were a couple of $8 water bottles in the room (easy to ignore); but at least you're not hit with that boost-the-real-price-of-the-room fee each day. Room had a safe and what I first thought was a refrigerator. It's really a "chiller," which I'd never heard of. Keeps things cool, but not as cold as I would have liked. That's really nit-pickin' though, since there were really no negatives relative to our stay. It's a fine place for adults and kids (several pools), and we'll definitely plan to return.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tom T
MarkingGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Dear Tom T,

Appreciate your nice comments about Loews Ventana Canyon. You are a writer. Loved the way you described the guest room furniture, the staff, the service. Please do come back soon; and write some more...

Mark Lindsey
Director of Sales and Marketing

Write a ReviewReviews (2,969)

Reviewed 3 June 2012

First time there and found it a very nice location in the desert mountains. Need a few new uptades, but overall really nice!

• Stayed: July 2011
1  Thank icriticworldwide
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Stayed at the hotel for almost a week on a meeting. Hotel is OK and staff is fantastic.
However, ladies at Concierge were absolutely beyond and made one of my colleagues birthday a day to remember.
It was her birthday and all her colleagues (from abroad) signed a birthday card. Dropped her this card at the concierge desk and asked them to leave the card on her room. Explained it was her birthday and that was away from her family and friends.
What a surprise knowing that a bottle of champagne and strawberies were on her room along with a beautiful card from these beautiful ladies!!
That one step further to brighten up a customer's day (without being asked, pure initiative!) marks this hotel as beyond any other that can remember in my travel lifetime.
Unfortunately cannot remember her names, but surely deserves a big congratulation on a job more than well-done!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank bcn1234
Reviewed 28 May 2012

Had a wonderful two night stay 5/23-5/25. The staff was so accommodating and pleasant. We got an amazing discounted price so when they put us in a "basic" king room I was prepared for substandard. Instead it was a beautiful room with a balcony and view of the mountains. The bathroom was modern and spacious with a sunken tub for two.
The pool crew made sure umbrellas were strategically placed, sunscreen and towels were plentiful and the wait staff made sure drinks were replenished.
We had breakfast on site each day and enjoyed the best eggs benedict and fresh fruit plates ever!
After reading a previous review I double-checked, but no we had no parking fee what so ever. We self parked in the outdoor lot next to the hotel.
All the way around we were very pleased with our Loews experience in Tucson.

Room Tip: if you don't mind the heat resorts like Loews offer amazing deals when temperatures begin climb...
1  Thank dalycalifornia
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Visited here for a quick two nite stay 5-18 to 5-20. Everyone from the bell desk, check-in, maid service, waitstaff, and golf pro shop employees were very outgoing and helpful. They always greeted us with a smile and a hello! The hotel bar was great place to relax and have drinks. The atmosphere on the patio ( @ 7:30) once it cooled down was terrific! The food was good- although one of the steaks was a little dry. ( Although the chef did come out and offer to cook me another one) Both golf courses are great and the wives loved the spa facilities and the massages. Will definitely return- but next time in the fall or winter.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the mountains.
3  Thank jaye116
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I used to live in the Tucson area, so I was excited to stay 20 years later at one of the finer properties in the surrounding Southern AZ area, the Ventana Canyon Resort. It's still a lovely place -- it cuts right into the cactus-filled mountains and you really feel like you are in a special relaxing zone.

Things I like included the terrace outside of my room, where we would go to enjoy our coffee in the AM, and the large tub I had in my bathroom. It's obvious that the hotel is getting older and some of the place is in need of a serious renovation. But, it's comfortable and clean.

What really gets me, though, is how hotels of this size think that they can charge extra for everything. I guess I was expecting there'd be an Internet charge (sadly) and I was right. However, one thing I wasn't expecting was a charge to park my car in the desert. Yes, that's right . . . Loew's has "imported" from New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles, the "self-park fee" that you are used to in downtown hotels. Hey Loew's -- there are another 100 fine resorts like yours in Arizona, and no one charges for parking. What makes your heat-baked asphalt any more special than someone else's, especially when I have to walk two miles to my room after I've paid your ridiculous parking fees?

The nice front desk clerk decided to argue with me about the parking charges, never admitting that it's somehow inappropriate. My request to this hotel and others is to put all fees such as "resort fees" and "parking fees" and so forth into the room rate, and give the guest all of your best service for a price that is known up front. Don't add another $18 just because my car sits out on your piece of desert overnight.

Room Tip: When you have a choice of "Mountain View" or "City View," remember that this is...
5  Thank Lindaj99
Reviewed 18 May 2012

We have stayed at this hotel probably six times through the years. Location and ambience are great! This visit, the pool was murky and full of insect bodies such that swimming was out of the question - 100 degree heat notwithstanding. Saddened by this turn of events in an otherwise great hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012
MarkingGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2012

Thank you for your recent stay and your past visits. We appreciate your comments about the location and ambiance. Your feedback is also appreciated and we have reviewed your comments about the pool with our management team. I am so sorry for the inconvenience. Hope you will visit again in the future.

Mark Lindsey