“Loews Ventana Canyon Canyon Resort, Tucson, AZ”

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Ranked #7 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 20 April 2013

The TV show Cheers had a saying at the opening. "You want a place where ever one knows your name". Loews delivers just that. From check in to checkout we were called by name by some of the most friendly and attentative staff we have ever met. We had the pleasure to be guests in the hotel for four days mid April 2013 trying to escape winters last gasp in the north. The venue is spectacular being nestled in the mountains with the buildings blending into the surrounding countryside. The golf courses are second to none and are within walking distance from the lobby. If your a tennis buff there are numerous courts. Trails on the grounds are an easy walk with guided nature tours on Saturday and Wednesday. Sabino Canyon and other trails are a short drive away. Everything was clean from rooms to pools. Food was great at the three restaurants we tried on site. What impresses is the peace and quiet. While the venue is spectacular, it is the staff that make the experience. Relax and enjoy being pampered.

Room Tip: Choose a king room with a mountain view on an upper floor with an eastern exposure. This will give...
There are newer reviews for Loews Ventana Canyon Resort

Reviewed 19 April 2013

This was my first visit to Loews in Tucson and it was a last minute planned trip. I had family visit and I wanted them to enjoy the scenery that I know Tucson has to offer. I've stayed at some of the other resorts in Tucson and have pretty high expectations with this city's various resorts. I can start by saying that the three days we spent at Loews was nothing short of fantastic. My parents said they had an absolute wonderful time with their stay, and as long as they were happy, I was happy.

At first I was afraid I made a bad choice because the rooms were not what we expected. I paid for an upgraded room with a full bath. My room was a handicap room (no bath) and the balcony basically gave us a view of the parking lot. I called the front desk and simply asked if we could get different rooms. The help desk was very polite and had us in better rooms in about 30 minutes. Our new rooms had the full baths and the view was much better because we were on the top floor and could see out over the golf course and the city.

All the staff we encountered was polite, professional, and very helpful with any and all request. The scenery was fantastic, there are a few trails in the immediate vicinity that let you get up close and personal with desert. These trails are very easy to walk, have a beautiful waterfall and plenty of small wildlife that you may come across. My parents are not from the area and enjoyed the trails because they had plenty of descriptive cards for all the plants and animals from the region. They are nature enthusiast and really enjoyed that aspect. There are also harder trails that you can hike in the canyon if you are feeling adventurous. I did part of that and got a great opportunity to enjoy some hiking and great scenery, definitely recommend this for hikers and anyone wanting to get off the beaten path. Just be prepared with the right shoes, water, and whatever else you may need.

I played the 18 hole Vetana golf course and was treated with one of the most visually stunning and pristine golf courses I've ever encountered. Every single hole was picture worthy. The greens were fast and the fairways were near flawless. This course is as challenging as it is beautiful. The course is relatively expensive for the area, but you get what you pay for and I believe this course is worth the extra buck.

We spent one afternoon relaxing by the pool and snacked at the poolside grill. Once again the staff on hand was great and the food from grill was fantastic. I had a Sonoran hotdog and waffle fries that were delicious.

Two of the nights we ate at the Flying V restaurant (separate review) and all four of us were treated to some of the best dining out food we've ever had. Like the golf, this restaurant was a little pricey but absolutely worth every penny.

Room Tip: Top floors give the best view whether you face the city (parking lot side) or the poolside. The lowe...
Reviewed 18 April 2013

My wife and I spent two days at Loews Ventana this week. We found the resort to be the very best we have ever stayed at. The employees were all top notch, friendly and helpful. From check-in to check-out, everyone treated us as royalty. The accomodations were first rate with comfortable beds in spacious rooms that were beautifully decorated. The views from the room of the Santa Catalina Mountains were spectacular. We went on a hike as well as prowling the golf course and nature trail. We saw numerous bird species as well as a pair of nesting peregrine falcons. The pool had salt water instead of chloronated water and was so comfortable. The pool personal were very attentive to any needs. We ate at the Flying V restaurant one night and the food was absolutely top of the line. Excellent fresh salmon, perfectly done filet mignon, scrumptous deserts and all served with excellent and friendly service. Breakfast at their other restaurant was superb while we had a beautiful mountain view. The views of the mountain waterfall from our romm was gorgeous and watching the fish in the water at the falls in front of the resort was a special addition.The resort is very relaxing and was the perfect place to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. I would recommend Loews Ventana to anyone for an experience that will keep you coming back. A rating of excellent on all counts still does not do our stay justice. It was better.

Room Tip: If you like the mountains ask for a room with that view. If you prefer a city view ask for one with...
Reviewed 17 April 2013

We stayed at Loews in late March during our son's baseball tournaments. My first impression of the room was that it needed to be updated. Everything looked dated. The room furnishings and tv had a 90s vibe to them. The bathroom had one sink, and therefore limited counter space, and a bath/shower enclosure. The room did not feel clean to me, especially after I looked up and saw cobwebs in some of the bathroom ceiling lights. After the first night, we upgraded to a one bedroom suite. It felt more spacious and we gained a second tv and bathroom, which was nice. We dined at the restaurant on the property a couple of nights. We enjoyed the atmosphere and our meals were satisfying. We used the fitness facility twice and were able to get in a good workout each time. My husband played three rounds of golf and really enjoyed the courses he played on. The bell and front desk staff were friendly and attentive. Overall, I would give this resort 3.5 stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lobby if a live band is booked for the lobby lounge. You will get a bet...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Just completed another fantastic conference at the Tucson Loews and it was FABULOUS as usual! Wow, talk about customer service from every person involved, from check-in to conference. The food was stellar and the rooms and meeting space were spotless! Such a beautiful property - thank you, Loews Ventana Canyon in Tucson!

Room Tip: Love the view of the golf course!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Stayed for our Anniversary weekend at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort. We were placed in a room that did have a working lock! We spent all of Friday and Saturday morning and afternoon waiting for the lock to finally be fixed. To be able to access our rooms, we needed to call security, wait 15 minutes and have them escort us into the room. What a romantic experience! As for management, Donald, did not care that our Anniversary weekend had been ruined and gave us a $70 credit as if he was doing us a favor! By then, it was 4pm on Saturday, and we definitely did not want to spend any more time being abused. Solution: Post our experience on Trip Advisor to avoid the awful experience to other fellow travelers.

Reviewed 17 April 2013

We had to be in Tucson for business and were really happy with our choice of the Loews Ventana Canyon Resort. It's in the north part of town several miles from the downtown area. At first I was concerned about not being in the downtown area where I could walk everywhere, but now this property will be my first choice when we return. It's not a huge hotel, so you don't feel lost, but has all the comforts of a first rate property. We especially liked the serenity pool (for 18 years old and older) located near the spa, tennis courts and golf shop. The main pool area was packed with families, but does have an outdoor restaurant with staff taking food/beverage orders. Just down the road a new Whole Foods recently opened with a CVS Pharmacy. Perfect for the picnics we packed on our hikes. The hotel has a fabulous hiking trail adjacent to the property. We hiked it part of it (6 miles round trip). It's a rocky trail with a number of switchbacks. We did see a rattler on the trail. I highly recommend the Flying V. In fact, we ate there twice for dinner. It's well known in the community. The table side guacamole is awesome.

Room Tip: We opted for a mountain view room further away from the lobby. The main pool area is in the back of...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business