“Comfortable and relaxing”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lakeland, Florida, United States
“Comfortable and relaxing”
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

We spent a week at Loews for a business meeting. The management are very accommodating and attentive. We ad two issues, a buzzing noise irritated my wife and the staff were more than willing to move us. When the laundry service damaged a new golf shirt, they researched and reimbursed me for he value of the shirt in quick order. The food is good, and the service at e restaurant and bar is great. There were times were the bar got back logged and it seem to take a long time to get drinks. The Sunday brunch was a real treat, with a large variety of foods and drinks included.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (744)
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The young man at the front desk attacked as if we were an intrusion and said he would try to get us a room. We had made reservations months earlier and I had checked days before to make sure we had a room so his manner was not justified. We still did not get the bed size we had asked for. Let's put it his way, we did not feel welcome.
The hotel is old and needs to be redecorated. The rooms were a nice size and the bath tub was huge This resort is very pretty with a beautiful golf course and a very nice little walk to the waterfalls.
We would not go back the price was too high for the quality of the place.

SW Florida
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Beginning with Oscar the bellman who pointed out special features on the way to our room (incl. the trail to the 80 foot waterfall on site), and then Moses & Shyla in the lobby cafe who accomodated our vegan needs so willingly & well that first evening, followed by Ginnette who kept the public restroom near our conference room impeccably spotless and then Bob, the AV tech who helped with our projection equipment, the staff were well trained, personable, and exceeded expectations. Our conference meals were served (many outside) by a whole staff of competent & professional servers that were the ultimate in courtesy. The nature trails on the property were a very nice bonus after sitting in conference meetings all day. A trip to nearby Sabino Canyon is recommended--the resort offers a shuttle 3 times a day.

OC, California
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Stayed here for three nights for a conference. I'd been here before several years before.

First, it's a beautiful site with (south) views of the town and (north) views of the mountains. I didn't explore the various nearby features because - frankly. I've seen them before - but they are spectacular.

The rooms are large and have the largest bathtub that I've ever seen. Disappointingly I was alone on business. The rooms are also large and have a patio. Everything was clean and fresh.

There were only three things that took off a star. First, as a 1980s property there are very few power outlets in the room. A duplex at the desk with one outlet using the light. I charged my phone in the alcove by the bathroom. Second is a minibar that is empty. Normally I wouldn't care, but I got in at 11:30 on a Sunday and the bar had just closed (?!). Finally, rent a car. You are a long way from anything else and a limo from the airport is $55. Just rent a car.

Room Tip: You have a choice of a mountain view (north) or city view across the parking lot (south) on the sout...
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 November 2013

When I landed in Tucson I had a voice mail on my phone telling me to contact the hotel because of a problem with my reservation. I learned that they were overbooked one night and that I'd have to stay at the Hilton East for one night. I was disappointed, but the treatment they gave me more than made up for the inconvenience. They provided me with a free night and breakfast at the other hotel, plus limo service back and forth from the alternate hotel to the Ventana Canyon so I could attend my meetings. When I finally did get to check in to the hotel the next day, they surprised me that evening by placing a lovely platter of fruit and 2 bottles of Fiji bottled water in my room. The grounds are beautiful, and I enjoyed our short hike on the trail. Only wish I had been able to stay longer and enjoy the property more (was there for meetings).

North Carolina Mountains, North Carolina
Reviewed 16 November 2013

Stayed here for a conference, single traveler, first time overnight, but been here on a day stop more than a decade ago. 45 minutes from the airport, really sketchy neighborhood for about 35 of those 45 minutes. Kept thinking well it's so far away it's going to be spectacular. Driving in over the mountain pass from the west you go thru a residential neighborhood that you can tell has expensive looking homes, but I just kept getting stuck on the fact that they were trying to create an upscale image when there really wasn't much to deserve it. They obviously spent a lot of money on the neighborhood, but the drive to get there impressed on me more about the countless abandoned buildings, automobiles, chain link and barbed wire fences, military base that has seen better days. The whole 1st impression was depressing.
Driving up, I parked and walked in, and the place was dead. Granted, it was November, not busy season. Doorman very attentive, didn't really have much else to do. Check in was fine, told I'll be paying $9 to park myself or park valet. There are ACRES and ACRES of parking spots, seems really cheap to charge for parking, but hey, it's only $9, but still.
My room is on the far right, easy access from the parking lot. External hallway, kind of motel-ish but NICE motel. There are interior hallways on a portion of the building, and I don't know if those rooms are much different but I'd paid a cheap AAA rate, wasn't surprised to be out in the boonies so to speak.
The whole facility is up against a rocky desert hillside. Let's just say it's prettier at night when they light up a waterfall in the back of the property. The resorts that have this kind of grounds up in Phoenix do a much better job in their architecture, in my opinion. Even the Marriott resort in Tempe, The Buttes, I would say is WAY nicer in the grounds and desert surroundings than Loews, and the Buttes is smack on the freeway. But that's just my taste. It's not HORRIBLE, just not that impressed.
The room is really large. HUGE double wide tub with only half a sliding door, which was weird. VERY few plugs, glad I'd brought an extension cord, as I had a laptop and phone to charge, and to use the iron meant something had to go. They don't build standard rooms this large anymore, and it came with 2 nice towels and 2 EIGHT DOLLAR BOTTLES OF WATER. I laughed at that. Didn't touch that at all. That was just ridiculous. The bar prices for our convention were $9 for beer, or I could go back to my room and save a DOLLAR and get water. LOL, that was just idiotic, don't know who thought of this pricing, but they need to get grounded in reality.
Soft mattress to sleep on, but hadn't been flipped in AGES apparently, because I slept in a VALLEY where if I tried to roll to the middle, I rolled right back to the side. Obviously it was old. Was only there a couple nights, but it was a noticeable problem, I didn't mention it to the front desk though.
At night the outdoor motel rooms are REALLY difficult to see what room number you're at. They try to light the areas near most rooms, but it really doesn't work very well. Found myself really squinting and walking back and forth. I'm sure it keeps the area from having light pollution, but it's really REALLY hard to see, they ought to add some lighting.
Going down to the lobby you enter the interior room hallway, and the halls just look dated and old. Elevator lobby on the 4th floor where I stayed was trying to kind of be a big deal with a large round table but a rather feeble floral arrangement. To me it was trying to be a Ritz Carlton image in this particular part of the hotel, but trapped in an 80's Brady Bunch building. Ancient slow elevators, and really poor signage of what meeting rooms are in what places.
The sundry shop had reasonable prices for some items, and crazy prices for others. $1 candy bar, $4 coke. Go figure. Business center was an outsourced deal that you swipe your credit card and they charge you to print your documents. GIven that 2* hotels let you print things for free in the lobby, this felt very nickle and dimey, like the parking. I ended up getting on the phone with their remote tech support for the business center, since there's nobody there, to try and print from my laptop, and they ended up admitting that trying to connect to their system and print was too complicated, and I should just email the document to myself on gmail and log in on their PC to print it out. Just really kind of lame.
Food in the restaurant was decent. Had breakfast there, and when they are busy there's a buffet, but while I was there it was just menu, and the place was really empty. It's poolside, and you can walk out on the pool patio nearby from the restaurant, lounge, and lobby. The pool was nice, although small, and had fairly loud Top 40 music playing. REALLY loud. Too loud. Not really a tranquil setting, although it was nestled up close to the hillside. Seemed like a mismatch to me.
I think anyone who pays $175 or $200 or more for any room here is definitely overpaying. I was under $150 and it was fine for that, but for what it's trying to be, it just can't pull it off as well as other properties, although in Tuscon it's probably the best of the big 3 resorts: Omni, Loews, and Westin. For me, I don't need to go back to the resort or to Tuscon. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really fall in love with it. Was just OK. Probably good for a family but there's not much to do here. You'll definitely need a car, there's nothing walkable for businesses or restaurants, just the walking trails nearby. One cool thing was the astronomy session they offer on some nights. Got to do that and it was really cool.

Room Tip: choose an interior hallway room if you want to find your room easily at night
2 Thank Flyer1965
norwich
Reviewed 12 November 2013

The resort is beautiful. The rooms are large and well appointed, and most of the staff was extremely friendly and accommodating (one front desk gentleman was a little snippy, but the rest of the personnel were great). There is a wonderful hiking trail right next to the hotel that should not be missed. They charge extra for wi-fi in the rooms, which seemed a little "cheap" to us considering the cost of the rooms, but you can go to the lobby and use wi-fi at no cost. I would not pay extra for the continental breakfast if you are there for a conference, as it is only bagels, some sliced fruit, croissants , juice and coffee. Not worth the extra $52 a room. We enjoyed the food at the resort's restaurants and the wait staff is the best! Very friendly and efficient.

Room Tip: Our room looked over the city of Tucson, which is beautiful at night. Choose a 4th floor room for t...