“Sonoran Desert, Up Close & Personal”

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Ranked #7 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Flagstaff, Arizona
“Sonoran Desert, Up Close & Personal”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort is nestled right into the foothills of the beautiful Santa Catalina mountains in Tucson, AZ, allowing visitors an up-close view of the Sonoran desert, and beautiful city views below. The hotel offers self-guided nature walks on the property, and plenty of great hiking nearby. It is a fantastic place to learn about Sonoran desert life and experience it firsthand. I can't think of another Tucson resort that blends so well into the unique landscape known as the Sonoran desert--chock full of majestic saguaro cacti. Additionally, there is a good selection of restaurants, a nice spa/work-out facility, a pool surrounded by desert plants, and a hot tub adjacent to a fresh water pool fed from a stream that trickles right down the mountain. It is a great place for families and exceedingly pet friendly. There is no separate "adults only" pool, so be aware that you will likely be sharing the pool deck with kids who splash. LIke I said, it is great for families, and there are kiddie programs for parents who need a little break. Ventana is a fantastic place to enjoy Tucson.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank rismoezzi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (749)
Downers Grove, Illinois

Starting with the positives-
The facilities are really nice. Great views of the city at night, the building itself is pretty nice, though a bit dated on the inside. My family and I enjoyed the path to the waterfall through the surrounding desert landscape. The view of the Catalina mountains from the pool never got old. The pool is nice and heated enough to comfortably swim during December. The staff we encountered were very nice and mostly helpful.

The negatives (or maybe mediocre)-
Our room was kind of dated in appearance. I've stayed in Holiday Inns with the same or better level quality. The room we stayed in is supposed to be a $400 plus per night room (we paid substantially less), I would expect something nicer for that kind of cheddar. Maybe it was the time of year (week of Christmas), but it seems the resort was manned by a skeleton crew. The biggest complaint about the room was the cleaning service. I was (am?) completely confused about the room cleaning. They did a nice job of making the beds, but never replaced the towels until asked to do so. Even then, they never picked up the old ones. Even worse, the cleaning crew never emptied the trash from the room. We try to keep our room clean, and what little trash we did accumulate was neatly left by the door. To my amazement, it kept growing until we left.

We ate at the restaurant twice- the second time out of necessity. Service was slow for both breakfast and lunch. This was surprising considering how empty it was. Food was pretty good quality, though I was surprised at how small the portions were... C'mon man! $17 enchiladas? I didn't order lunch expecting to seek another meal afterwards. I found more value in driving 3 miles to Mickey D's, and I knew what to expect from them.

$10/day for basic (2 devices) wifi. Standard practice for the year 2003. I wonder if they know even Ronald McDonald offers this for free.

There is a free shuttle to Sabino Canyon, though they only leave at certain times. In 2013, I figured a luxury resort would have one or more shuttles on standby. My $100 Comfort Suites room did.

Gotta end this somewhere... The place is nice. I think it would be perfect for a golfing couple in their mid-fifties or older. I hope this doesn't come off as "old people bashing", but due to the service and overall setup, it seems this resort is not the best suited for a younger or middle aged couple with kids.

I may return one day when my wife and I are empty nesters and aren't in a hurry. Hopefully they will have free wifi by then.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with a pool or mountain view.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Oro Valley, Arizona
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We always enjoy are stays at this resort. The pool is well kept and beautiful. The restaurants are all good with the Flying V being extremely well managed by H."Rock" Saul is our favorite. Entertainment on the weekend is usually first class in the lobby lounge. The rooms are all well maintained and clean with great city or mountain views. The spa and fitness center is also great.

Room Tip: ask for city view and suite if possible, second choice would be mountain views or dessert views.
Green Features: Loews Ventana is a Greenleaders bronze level resort that practices Organic local foods,window films that keep rooms cool,local plantsand etc.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort is a very exquisite property set in the Catalina Foothills, the service is excellent and food is equivalently served. Mary-Ann recommended the delicious European Sea-Bass that was cooked to perfection, if I have a reason to return, it will be certainly for the Sea Bass in tomato and olive, truly a European receipe!

Room Tip: Superior rooms are plentiful
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My husband and I just returned to NYC from a wonderful short 4-day vacation at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort. The location is excellent on property that preserves original plants and natural surroundings. Beautiful location. Gentle hiking on property. The weather was a bit cooler than usual this time of year, so the outdoor heated pool and jacuzzi are a luxury where we floated in serene comfort and relaxation gazing at the nighttime sky and stars in warm water with outside temperature 45 degree. Pure luxury!

At no extra charge, the hotel features a Wednesday and Saturday evening Star Gazing gathering on the grounds with a professional astronomer and a modern, automated large telescope. Our astronomer turned the lens towards various constellations while providing us with detailed information about star formations. Everyone got turns looking through the telescope whenever they wanted to view what was being discussed. A very special treat.

Location: very convenient to the downtown city and easy navigation to places such as the Arizona Senora Desert Museum. Excellent restaurants both on the property and within easy drives of the hotel.

The staff was gracious and always helpful, especially their concierge, Victoria.

The room was tastefully decorated and comfortable. Based on other reviews, we asked for a room that looked out towards the city and the sunset - - an excellent decision. At night we could admire the city twinkling in the distance. Each morning we awoke to survey a splendid view of the distant mountain ranges and the vast landscape before us.

We are now thinking about a return trip!

Room Tip: Room looking towards the city to see twinkling lights at night, sunsets, and morning vistas of mount...
Green Features: The hotel has taken great care to minimize extensive damage to surrounding flora and fauna of the hotels grounds up the mountain part of the hotel's location.
Delaware
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The Loews Ventana Canyon Resort is beautiful and unique. It fits seamlessly into the spectacular Catalina Mountains, and the view - in all directions - will take your breath away. The staff was superb, and the golf course - we played the mountain course - is an A+ course. One of the many hotel activities was a "star gazing" that was conducted by a professional astronomer, who used an electronic telescope to show us many stars, as well as a spectacular view of the moon.

Green Features: They clearly care about the natural landscape - and they have a lot to work with.
1 Thank Mimielly
Los Lunas, New Mexico
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Was very impressed with this lovely resort. It is not right on any main thoroughfare, it's actually tucked away in an upscale neighborhood which makes it extremely quiet & peaceful - which is exactly what I was looking for. From the moment you drive up to the entrance, you know you're in a special place. I don't think I opened the door to the lobby myself even once, the bell & door staff are quite attentive. With the majority of my stay being for a business trip, I wasn't able to avail myself of all the amenities of the resort/spa, but the sheer peacefulness of the place was a pleasure to "come home to". The room was nicely appointed, bed was very comfortable & I couldn't resist soaking in the giant bathtub each night. I did not dine in the Flying V, but did have several dinners in the Cascade lounge & was not disappointed in the food or service. The bartender Jackie was very helpful in deciding on their menu choices as well as giving me some local suggestions for food places as I was attending business in other parts of Tucson. All the staff I encountered were very helpful & courteous but not intrusive. Thank you Loews for making a business trip feel more like a vacation!!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sheila P
MarketingSlsGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and for the review on Trip Advisor. Your business trip being like a vacation is music to my ears. I will pass your kind comments along to the staff. Please be our guest, when your travels again bring you to Tucson.
Mark Lindsey