“Amazing hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Amazing hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

I took my 4 kids for five days over new years eve. The resort is immaculate and staff is tip top ready to help . Oscar at the front door helped me find my wallet in the dark parking lot by having us jump in a golf cart and zip over flashlight in hand . This was early on new years eve and although he was busy greeting guests and parking cars he had a mission to alleve my anxiety.
The breakfast buffet is quite nice ; The gym is great and there is a quiet lap pool that is hidden behind the spa and no kids permitted. All in all a great value with stunning vistas of the city and mountain

Stayed January 2014
MarketingSlsGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review and for choosing Loews Ventana Canyon to ring in 2014! We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay and that Oscar was able to help track down the missing wallet, he is a champ! We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon and wish you a very happy New Year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (722)
Hesperus, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

This was a special trip to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. We were hoping for relaxation and romance in a beautiful southwestern setting, and were not disappointed. I was a bit concerned when we first checked in because there were a lot of families with small children staying there and our room was a connecting room with a somewhat noisy family on the other side. We called the front desk and spoke with Wes, who originally checked us in, and although the hotel was quite full, he found us another room that was perfect. And the next day, on our anniversary, Wes had champagne and chocolate-covered strawberries delivered to our room with a very gracious hand-written note.

We had a room with a king-sized bed in the east wing overlooking the city. It felt very private and we had quick access to our car as well as the lobby and Cascade Lounge - where we enjoyed awesome martinis. Moses was our server the first two nights in the Lounge. His friendliness and attentiveness was amazing considering how busy it was. Overall, we found the service at the resort to be excellent and considerate.

I would give the hotel 5 stars if there were more amenities for couples without children. As others have said in their reviews, the hotel has a lot of activities for children and it seems an ideal place for a family vacation. It would be nice if there was an adults-only pool and/or jacuzzi and perhaps adult activities like dance or cooking lessons.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review and congratulations on your 20th wedding anniversary! We are honored you chose to celebrate such a wonderful occasion with us at Loews Ventana Canyon and that you were able to relax and enjoy your time together. Throughout the year we offer a series of special events including cooking classes with our Executive Chef and jazz concerts, as well as Beer Garden and Tequila Dinners. We hope you have the chance to join us again in the future for any of our events and spend some time in the adult pool located behind the Lakeside Spa & Fitness center. Happy Anniversary!
Sherwood, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

The hotel was all lit up for the holidays when we stayed there during our son's recent graduation. The service was impeccable and the rates very reasonable. The waffle I had at breakfast twice was to die for. The Blood Orange Sangria was the best I've ever had.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you very much for staying with us at Loews Ventana Canyon this holiday season and for your TripAdvisor review. We hope you were able to spend some quality time with your recent graduate while enjoying the holiday decorations and festivities at the resort. Happy New Year and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!
Littleton, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

I've been here several times on my own as well as with my family. The setting is phenomenal as always; landscaping is beautiful. Something hasn't gone right with the service since I was last here.

The room was run down - wallpaper was peeling from the wall. The carpet in our 2 rooms and hallway was stained and very well worn. Service, however, was bad enough this time that I am compelled to share a review after this stay. Something systemic is wrong about how staff are being trained and managed.

The ONLY true representation of 5 star service were the head valet/bellman. He greeted me with a wonderful smile and warm greeting while welcoming me and holding the door. Seems like he is proud of his resort and loves his job. The concierge was super helpful in providing information on hiking Ventana Canyon. The lady in the spa who helped us with setting up tennis court reservations was nice. This is where the great service ended.

The front desk staff couldn't have been older than 22 and the guy checking me in didn't even look at me or smile - not once - while checking me in. The pool guy manning the towel table seemed like he was on a break from college at his first job and was overly chatty and giddy. Don't get me wrong - young folks can absolutely provide fantastic service. These folks, however, did not get the right training to be helping people at a 5 star resort.

Wait staff in the Cascade restaurant in the evening was average for my family. We were trying to pick a place to eat with our older boys who were very hungry. Menu options were fairly limited and our waitress - although patient - wasn't super friendly or helpful about our options. We decided against staying.

For the Saturday night of our stay there was an hour-long S'mores by Firelight event which was well advertised throughout the resort. Lots of families (including us) were gathered prior to the start time of 7pm and were excited for the event. By 7:20 nothing was set up and several folks had to go into the Cascade (lobby) restaurant to inquire about what was supposed to be happening. One waitperson finally came out and set up everything in the pitch dark. One of the 3 fire pits wasn't working, so families were crowded around the 2 remaining fire pits to roast their marshmallows. The one waitperson left the unlit table of supplies to go inside to get someone change (the charge was $5/person!!) and left everything unmanned. It turned into a free-for-all with supplies that ran out. We decided to bag it and left disappointed. Do it right or don't do it at all.

Something about the cleaning crew isn't working either. Small bits of litter were visible around the property. Every time we got into an elevator it was covered in nasty handprints and had a different item of trash (coffee cups, wine glass, etc.) lodged onto the handrail. Maybe there needs to be more trash receptacles or places for dishes available for guests? Gross. These are details that, when thoughtfully taken into account, make properties truly 5 star.

The management here would benefit hugely by visiting with the general manager at Greenwood Village Athletic Club in Colorado. They have a fantastic service model which gets these things right for the type of clientele that Loews Ventana Canyon gets - and should hope to get again and again.

Interestingly enough, I've seen a few reviews on Trip Advisor about how people who have booked the cheaper rooms have gotten sub-par service. These were less expense rooms on this stay than I often book when I come on my own to get away. Although I book cheaper rooms on one stay, who's to say that I wouldn't look to book a convention for my company here based on my personal visit experience? If they got the quality of service that I did on this particular visit, I'd definitely think twice.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JanetMc_CO
MarketingSlsGuy, Director of Sales at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you very much for your TripAdvisor review on your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon. We appreciate feedback from our guests and your comments will be shared with senior management. We are constantly improving our property and apologize for not meeting the 5-star service we strive to provide. Please give us another try if your travels again bring you back to the Tucson area. Sincerely, Mark Lindsey
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Hi. This is the second time that my husband and I decided to use Priceline for a staycation at Lowes Ventana Canyon Resort. We were given a room in the same location both times - to the rear of the resort above (what I am guessing) is the furnace area. The view from the balcony was of the top of a building only accessible by staff. I believe the resort's heating unit is housed there as we would hear a loud noise as the furnace kicked on and then our room vibrated until the unit turned off again, which was almost an hour each time. It was hard to sleep because of the vibrations - similar to a very, very loud heartbeat. Also, on their website, under the Loews Promotions tab, then offer "Tasty Credits," they were offering a $25 credit for a one-night stay. I asked about this promotion as we had booked a one-night stay and was told that we didn't qualify since we booked through a third party. So, the message that I got from this is that if you book through Priceline and get a better rate per night you will get a less than average room and none of their promotions apply to you. Sad. I will most probably go elsewhere next time. Also, I'm rating the breakfast as poor as I didn't see any gluten free options other than a fruit cup.

Room Tip: Don't accept a room in the area of room # 4100's in the north west of the building.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank QueenB1110
Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

After 4 visits over an 8 year period (every other year) our families have gathered at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort in Tucson to spend some Christmas holiday time together. This most recent trip was pretty much a disaster over all. Room reservations and requests were screwed up, service in the dining room, poolside and bar was very much sub-par for this resort, sewer smell in hallways on various days and poor response to simple maintenance requests like TV's not working in the rooms (took 4 requests to finally get one TV swapped out for one that actually worked). We had a total of 7 rooms booked and all reservations were done months in advance. Not sure what was going on this trip but, in my opinion, the blame rests with management and not the staff.....how can the staff know what is expected if managament does not provide adequate training, information and expectations. Very disappointing for a Loews property !!!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Tucson
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

We stayed there the night of our wedding. Beautiful location but was not impressed by the hotel itself. Room was nice, nothing exciting or made say ..... WOW.... Beautiful view which is what you really pay for. The experience was awful as the bed was as hard as a rock.... Woke up at 3am to the sound of water.... My wife was taking a hot bath as her back was also killing her. The bath is remodeled European style....or so we were told as shower only had one door... Water spilling all over the floor thus not allowing a relaxing shower......you have to pay for parking.... Use of gym etc. we live in Tucson and have stayed at most resorts but this was our first time here.... Sadly we were disappointed and felt our wedding night was ruined ;(

• Stayed December 2013