“The perfect desert oasis”

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Ranked #5 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Portland, Oregon
“The perfect desert oasis”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

A month ago, in March, I took a 2 week road trip that was mostly pleasure with a tad bit of business toward the end. My original plan was to camp or stay with friends for the entire trip and was especially looking forward to revisiting my favorite desert as spring began. I am so glad that I made the call to reserve a couple nights at the Loews in Tucson as a mid-trip retreat. I booked two nights and stayed three because I just couldn't bear to leave so soon. I loved nearly everything about it and look forward to going back next year. The room was great with a view over the landscaped desert garden and falls. I couldn't get enough of that over-sized tub and had a soak every night. The staff was impeccable. Every need and desire attended to with grace and a smile. I would like to especially mention Skyler and Tyler at Bill's Grill poolside. Wish I had gotten the name of the bartender on duty when I sent my drink back. It just wasn't right and she graciously made another (better) and didn't charge me for the first. Love you guys! Really, I can't say it enough, good service and attitude go a long way and no matter how good your facilities are, your hotel is only as good as it's staff. And they rock!

A couple of things though that would make MY next stay even better. Dare I say perfect? I would love more healthy veggie or even vegan options available from the kitchens. Although I do really dig that veggie burger from Bill's.

Also, someone needs to do some updated versions of the classic cocktails. The old fashioneds were hit and miss. Maybe we just take our cocktails more seriously up here in the northwest but I do love trying the fresh house versions of the old standards and am sure there is enough creativity in the bar staff to mix up some awesome southwest flavors in a new, old fashioned.

When I come back next March I am bringing friends to try out that golf course.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Derek M, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Thank you very much for your wonderful TripAdvisor review and for choosing to stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon on your recent road trip! It sounds like you had an excellent time and we are thrilled to hear you are already planning a return trip to visit us again next year! We appreciate you taking the time to post your experience on TripAdvisor and will also be sharing your kind words with our entire staff! We are continually striving to improve the overall experience our guests receive and have already shared your comments regarding the vegetarian/vegan options and the updated versions of classic cocktails with senior management. Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Loews Ventana Canyon again next year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (732)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

My wife and I have been coming here annually since 2006, our kids since they were born in 2009 and 2011 respectively. We have been here in the spring (Easter), summer and fall and have enjoyed ourselves immensely on each and every trip. It’s the combination of the whole package that makes it so special for us. The staff is so friendly. Of course you expect staff to be friendly, but we always feel the employees take some pride in the resort and genuinely want us to be happy. Even the maintenance workers stop and say hello when we walk by. They are willing to chat with us about the grounds and plants and such. The rooms are great, but to be honest, we are only in the rooms to sleep and to change. We don’t need or use the TV, phone, internet, etc., so it really doesn’t matter how nice or not nice they are. The beds and comforters are very comfy, and room temp can be kept where ever you want it. We don’t play golf, but we do like to explore the city and the area in general, so we alternate between days at the resort and days exploring. When we stay at the resort, we are poolside! Pool staff are great and we love the setting. My eldest won’t get out of the pool! My wife and I love the iced towels, the Italian ice, chilled cucumbers – it’s all so great (but we wish they would bring back ice cream). The Flying V restaurant is also a must do – the guacamole (made tableside) is something the entire family waits all year for and the food is top notch.
The hotel is very family friendly. They have daily activities for the kiddos and on weekends there is the family friendly movie by the pool after dark. My kids have been too young to stay up that late, but I can’t wait until they can experience that treat. Every year I look forward to learning about astrology and star gazing with a telescope – all courtesy of the resort teaming up with the U of A.
The property is amazing. The water features with the enormous koi – it’s a daily ritual to feed them and the food is in the lobby in a cute little treasure chest. Watching the sunrise from our city facing balcony is magical. Watching the golden light hit the Rincon mts at sunset…the city lights at night (just writing about it makes me want to make another reservation). The desert pathways leading to the waterfall at the back of the property – great after dinner stroll for family and lovers alike. The views from the Flying V at sunset in the evenings; the bats fluttering around at night eating the bugs; the coyotes howling in the wee hours of the morning, we love it all! Even in monsoon season this place is great – the thunder and lightning show is breath taking from your room, no matter where your room is located on the property.
And the staff…did I mention how friendly and service oriented they are? We will be there again this year – and the family can’t wait!

Room Tip: We prefer having a room with a balcony overlooking the parking lot and the Fly V. Trust me, the cit...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
WOW!! Thank you so very much for your incredible TripAdvisor review and for continuing to choose Loews Ventana Canyon as your favorite family getaway! It truly warms my heart to know that we have made such a memorable impression on your family over the years and we look forward to making even more memories for you as your children grow older! Your kind words are truly appreciated and will be shared with our entire staff to express what a wonderful impact their service has made on your family! I thank you sincerely for taking the time to share your experiences with us and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Loews Ventana Canyon again very soon!
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

The rooms and the facilities are nice on the inside. The pool area is outdated and kind of ugly....
We had a fantastic female server at lunch, and the rest of the staff seemed very friendly. Suites are amazing with their own private jacuzzis. Desert trails were awesome!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the mountains
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review! It sounds like you had a great time during your recent stay and we very much appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with us and others on TripAdvisor! The nature trails throughout our resort are beautiful and are an excellent way to learn more about the Sonoran Desert! Thank you again for your review and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Loews Ventana Canyon again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Wonderful Easter Brunch. The selection of foods was amazing. The culinary skills were special. Our hostess was very efficient, taking us to each of the stations prior to seating us. We will return for a stay.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your wonderful TripAdvisor review and for joining us for our Annual Easter Brunch! I am so glad to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed the food and service this past weekend and your kind words will certainly be shared with our entire culinary team! Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Loews Ventana Canyon again soon!
Saint Paul, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Great Views of Tucson, and the surrounding area. Nothing mind blowing, but nothing lacking either. You get what you should expect for the price. The food in the banquet area left some things to be desired, and the lobby bar bartender needs some anger management lessons (although it was the most entertaining aspect of my stay). For some reason the bartender couldn't take cash as payment later in the evening one night, a drunk customer teased him a little, and he lost it (not professional at all, and if he lost it at me, I would have complained to management).

Had a scorpion in my shoe the morning I checked out, so if you stay here check your shoes before you put them on! I'm really glad that I checked before I put them on.

The resort has a deal worked out with the Lodge for golf, both courses are nice, but the mountain course is not forgiving at all, and the pin placements were rougher than anything I have ever experienced.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mspreh
Derek M, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for your TripAdvisor review! I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us at Loews Ventana Canyon and especially the golf courses! We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will be sure to share your comments with senior management. Again, thank you and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Loews Ventana Canyon again on your next visit to sunny Tucson!
tucson
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

From the minute we pulled in to the second we drove away our stay was impeccable. My husband and I decided we needed a little mid-week staycation. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, the bathtub was huge, the views were amazing, the spa was relaxing, the pool was refreshing and the food was delicious. More importantly, the service......oh the service! I'll be dreaming of how we were treated like royalty from every single employee there. Every one of them were geniouly kind, caring and hospitable. If anyone was having a bad day we never knew it. The service an establishment ofifers will always dictate whether or not I'll go back. That being said, I want to move in! Everyone should take a page out of their customer service book. There is no better place to stay in Tucson, hands down! We can't wait to go back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
LVCRServiceDesk, Guest Relations Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Wow!! We can’t thank you enough for your incredible TripAdvisor review! We are thrilled to hear that our customer service made such a memorable impression on your recent stay with us! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor and we will be sure to share your incredibly kind words with our entire staff! Thank you again very much and we look forward to welcoming you back to Loews Ventana Canyon again soon!!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

My friend and I had the most wonderful day when she took me out to lunch for my birthday at Bill's Grill at Ventana Canyon. She is in her 80's and it was a huge splurge to buy lunch, including champagne to start us off. Our waiter, Adam, made the experience so amazing. He made sure that he got just the right champagne by going inside to the other restaurant. He was helpful and excellent during the meal. And the grand finale was that he brought me a beautiful dessert sundae that included Happy Birthday written across the plate. We had a wonderful time, and Adam made the experience nearly perfect. Thank you!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the waterfall on the mountain
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TKTKennedy
Thank you so much! We really appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us on TripAdvisor and are thrilled to hear that Adam was able to make such a special memory for you and your friend on your birthday! We will be sharing your comments with Adam and his supervisor so that he can be recognized for the excellent customer service he provided you with! Thank you again so very much and happy birthday again from all of us at Loews Ventana Canyon!