“Great value though some of the services could be better”

Loews Ventana Canyon Resort
Ranked #7 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 August 2014

Not too impressed with some of the front desk service - too few employees? too much reliance on voice mail in other departments, like housekeeping, which never brought extra towels as requested. The worst part was when I made a reservation at their top restaurant and was delayed and they closed the restaurant without calling me (I was delayed handling work and travel issues related to a business trip). I was told by other guests that the Flying V isn't very good, and was very pleased with the alternative - Cascades restaurant in the lobby, which also had music on Saturday night. Also enjoyed talk by an astronomer at the pool on Saturday night. Liked the spa lap pool but there was no staff at all there when I arrived. Looks like a nice spa and fitness center, but needs staff. Room rate was excellent, room very spacious and comfortable, though TV reception was a bit spotty. Also heard couple next door through thin walls. Nonetheless, overall would recommend it and would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the parking lot. I had to change rooms, thus was late for dinner r...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Derek M, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. I very much appreciate you taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us and sincerely apologize that we were unable to fully meet your expectations during your recent stay at Loews Ventana Canyon. Your comments have been shared with senior management in hopes of providing a better guest experience in the future. Thank you again and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Loews Ventana Canyon.

Derek McCann

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Town hall meeting for our western conference. Resort was Beautiful, rooms were very clean and comfortable, very pleased with everything BUT.....could have a bigger selection of restaurants. Closed on Mondays ? Never heard about that at a fine resort. Had to take shuttle down the hill. Otherwise GREAT place....highly recommended

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Derek M, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us while attending a town hall meeting at Loews Ventana Canyon. Please accept my sincerest apologies that we were unable to fully meet your expectations and rest assured that your feedback will be shared with senior management. Thank you again and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to visit us again soon at Loews Ventana Canyon!

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We would like to personally thank the people listed below who went above and beyond to make our experience fantastic, as follows:

1. Concierge - Victoria Cote - a Concierge extraordinary; truly helpful and a lovely individual.
2. Restaurant Server - Debbie - always cheerful and wonderful service.
3. Amanda - Management Office - Very kind and thoughtful remembering my husband's 70th birthday.
This is one of the best places to stay in Arizona and the USA. If you enjoy nature and being surrounded with beauty and lovely people, this is the place to stay. Just fabulous!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Mitchell S

Thank you so much for your wonderful TripAdvisor review! I am thrilled to hear what an outstanding stay you had with us recently and very much appreciate you taking a few moments to share your comments on TripAdvisor! I will be sure to personally share your kind words with Victoria, Debbie and Amanda so they may be recognized for the incredible service they provided you. Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to visit us again very soon!

Reviewed 27 August 2014

Weekend stay was made even better by Star at the front desk....awesome personality, and helped provide a room upgrade that was amazing, beautiful city views from our deck. I would highly recommend this property.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bunny1022
Derek M, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review! I very much appreciate you taking a few moments to post your experience on TripAdvisor and I will be sure to share your kind words with Star at the Front Desk so she may be recognized for the outstanding service she provided you with during your recent stay with us. Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back to Loews Ventana Canyon again soon!

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I traveled to particiapte in a company leadership retreat. Many co-workers brought spouses and/or children. Resort has something for everyone. Extremely professional and accomodating staff. Food is outstanding. Pool and grounds are impeccably manicured. Well worth the visit.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your excellent review! I truly appreciate you taking a few moments to share your kind words on TripAdvisor and am so pleased to hear what an outstanding experience you had while attending a company leadership retreat recently at Loews Ventana Canyon. Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back to visit us again very soon!

Reviewed 27 August 2014

We've stayed at this resort numerous times over the past 20 years. On our previous visit, it was seriously in need of some repairs. Fortunately, the resort has done a lot of fixing but in some respects they haven't quite done enough. The dirty carpets in the lobby area are now either gone or replaced/clean but where they were simply removed the lobby seems colder now. The concierge desk was moved but frequently "no one was home".
The rooms are always good and we had an amazing view over the mountains and the pool.
The Flying V restaurant patio dining is terrific. The house special guacamole is very, very good. We dined on a variety of appetizers and they were all very good. Service in the restaurant is friendlier than at the hotel.
The pool area still is weak. . . they have swimming pool noodles but when we were there only about 10 were around and they were old, soggy and unappetizing. Given that pool noodles can be bought for under $1, we don't understand why they can't have more and ones in better condition!
We'd recommend going but only if you can get a great deal.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us at Loews Ventana Canyon! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful desert views and our signature tableside guacamole at the Flying V Bar & Grill. We strive to provide the highest levels of service to our guests and I sincerely apologize that we were unable to fully meet your expectations. Your feedback is very important to me and I have shared your comments with senior management so that we may continue to improve the overall experience our guests receive. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and I hope to welcome you back to visit us again soon.

Derek McCann

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Upgraded our room at checkin which was nice but makes me wonder what we'd had with no upgrade. I'd call the room very average. Mountain view in our case meant looking at one tree and room could not have been farther from all activities. Nothing was done to make anniversary stay special unlike a visit to a resort in Marana a few years ago where we were treated like royalty. Resort is very awkwardly arranged...have to walk across large parking lot to get to golf pro shop, spa. Have to drive 3/4 mile in golf cart to get to driving range and first tee. No bag drop, just very inconvenient. Friday night at poolside was an astronomer from Mt. Lemmon giving a lecture with a telescope, a real treat. Don't believe I could recommend this property.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay at this property, ask to be close to amenities.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Derek M, General Manager at Loews Ventana Canyon Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Thank you for your TripAdvisor review. I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments from your recent stay with us as your feedback is very important to me. I am so sorry to hear that we were unable to fully meet your expectations during your stay, but am glad that you enjoyed our weekly stargazing program operated by the Mt. Lemmon SkyCenter. Thank you again and I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Loews Ventana Canyon again in the future.