“A Desert Diamond”

Ranked #17 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Prescott, Arizona
“A Desert Diamond”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I spent a three day weekend at this property a few weeks ago, and the staff could not have been more professional, accommodating, and courteous. The service was exceptional from start to finish, from my initial reservation call with Jeff; check-in with Marissa; the pool bar with Tim; breakfast served with great anecdotes by Gino and Jessica; an amazing golf experience set up by Dan H. at the nine hole course; and check-out with Jasmin, everyone we encountered represented the property flawlessly and made it known that this is a top-tier property with some truly amazing people helping to make it that way. The rooms could use some renovation, sure, but the housekeeping itself was wonderful, and the overall experience was excellent. I will surely be back.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face into the courtyard and toward the pool. Odd numbered rooms face outward, ei...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Brock C
Lynn E, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that our team members delivered exceptional service, and you enjoyed your stay. Please know that I will personally recognize each of the individuals you mentioned. Thank you for staying with us, we will look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to Tucson.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Arabic first
AZ, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Was a great stay. Restrants are good. The place is very clean and welcome. Would go again. Great for kids as well as grown ups. night time is is very beautiful with the lights and fires around the pool area.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Lynn E, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Thank you for your review about your recent stay. I agree, the evenings by the pool are beautiful. It is so relaxing to sit in the pool courtyard with the firepits lit enjoying the warm desert evening. We will look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

We are in the middle of our stay as I write this. Overall, we are very happy with the resort. We arrived very early for check in because we always forget Arizona doesn't do daylight savings time. Alex at the front desk was awesome. Took care of our early check in and made sure we got first floor poolside as requested. In fact, Alex has helped us several times. Room is very nice and spacious although the bathroom is awkwardly designed. Housekeeping does a great job. Our first day at the resort was jammed packed. I guess a Saturday is like that. The pool was crowded, loud, and had terrible service. Fortunately, lots of people went home and Sunday was a lot better. Our only complaint continues to be the terrible food and beverage service at the pool. The first day, no one waited on us. Today we got service but it was horribly slow. Less than 2 dozen people at the pool andd a margarita took over 15 minutes. A small problem but margaritas by the pool is my favorite part of vaca4. We've got until Thursday so hopefully that will improve. Haven't eaten here other than chips at the pool. All in all, a really nice place. We always stay at Marriotts and this is our first Hilton.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that Alex, our Guest Service Agent has taken good care of you, and please know that I will personally recognize him for his awesome service. I apologize for the service challenges you have encountered at the pool. I understand that one of our food & beverages managers has reached out to you during your stay, and I trust that your poolside experience will be much better. Thank you for allowing us to “make it right” for you. If your travels return you to Tucson, I hope that we can welcome you back again.
Scottsdale, Az, United States
Reviewed 13 July 2014

They do not treat diamond members very well at this hotel. I asked to get a late check out at 1300 and they wanted to charge me. I stay at hilton properties about 90 days out of the year and most wouldn't blink an eye at this simple request, not this place they wouldn't budge an inch even after we told them we were diamond members.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Michael O
I apologize that we were unable to accommodate the request for a complimentary late check-out. I can appreciate your frustration, and understand that this may have been inconvenient. We value all of our guests, and try to take good care of our most loyal Hilton HHonors members. Please contact our Director of Front Office, Shannon Schilling, to discuss this issue in further detail (email: shannon.schilling@hilton.com or call: 520-544-1189). I certainly hope that you will give us another opportunity to deliver the experience that you would expect from Hilton Resorts.
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Loved this place all over-inside and especially outside. Tennis pros were awesome-so enjoyed our time there. Loved Mary L's service in their lobby bar-food and drinks very good! Breakfast buffet was wonderful. Surrounding area was beautiful. Pool, spa, exercise, hiking, biking, tennis, golf, all just wonderful. Great place, and I'm extremely picky!

Room Tip: Take time to enjoy all of their amenities-tennis, hiking, biking, pool, exercise, spa (my massouse t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Lynn E, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for your review about your recent stay. It is always a pleasure to hear that our guests have had a wonderful stay and enjoyed our beautiful resort. I will also personally recognize Mary from the Conquistador Lounge for her outstanding service, and share your review with our Tennis team as well. We will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Very professional & friendly service, especially Jennifer S at the front desk and Gino at Sundance. They are truly an asset to this organization: Customer friendly, going the extra step, detail oriented, and professional. Guadalupe, who was responsible for our room, was also very cordial and customer service oriented. Crystal (from WF, NC) at the front desk during check out was also very courteous and professional.
We had the hospitality suite, which has one bedroom, two (2) full bathrooms, TV area, living/sitting area, dinning table for 6, mini-kitchen (only microwave, sink, small fridge), and a small desk. It is great for a family (3 to 5). It has a connecting door to a 2 bed room with bathroom, if you need an additional room. 5 to 8 would sleep/stay comfortably in this 2 room setting. Location is also good and quiet: 3 to 5 minute walk to the pool, lobby, Sundance and about 7 to 10 minute walk to the tennis courts. Parking is about 2 to 5 minutes from your room, depending how full the parking lot is. If you are lucky, you may see in early morning or late evening boars, rabbits, quails. I agree that the carpet should of the hospitality suite should be truly cleaned.
Sundance: The "continental" breakfast buffet has something for everyone: eggs, bacon/sausages, pancakes, fruits, bagels, pastry, yogurt, fresh juice. As I mentioned above, Gino provides an incredible professional service to both adults and kids. Gracias Gino por tus atenciones.
Recommendation to the General Manager at the resort: The Pool and the area around the pool is too small for the size of this resort, especially on special weekend, such as 4th of July. On the 4th of July weekend the pool and the pool area was packed (yes literally) and you could barely fit another person into the pool. Especially when the resort charges the additional Resort FEE of $20 on top of the room rate, I would expect more.
The Pool Bar was understaffed for the 4th of July weekend. The staff was working very hard not to keep the customers waiting (I empathize with the staff). At one point I counted at least 7 to 10 people waiting for 6 to 14 minutes at the Bar to place their order (and that does not include people who probably saw the line and decided not to buy a drink); i.e. I am sorry but that is a long wait to get a drink/snack in a 5 star resort.
Tennis courts: Overall nice facility. However, since El Conquistador hosts many tournaments, I would recommend that most of the courts (ideally all courts) should have the lower height (4ft) fence between the courts to separate the courts so that the balls don't go over to the other court and disrupt that match. Currently the courts have the tall fences that stop around the base line.

Room Tip: Choose the end hospitality suite (1576) because you only have one neighbor, the furthest away from t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Lynn E, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. It was a pleasure to receive your comments and to learn of your appreciation of our wonderful team members and the quality of service you received. I have personally recognized each of the team members you mentioned.

Your feedback regarding our recent holiday weekend has been shared with our operations team, and we will take your comments into consideration as we plan future holiday events. Also, thank you for your insight regarding our tennis courts.

Our team will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 9 July 2014

We booked a room several weeks ago for the fourth of July event and planned on having a great time as we have for many years at this resort. When we checked in we found out that you now have to pay another high fee to see the fireworks from the grass area, where we have sat for many years. We chose not to do this and sat in front of the lobby with many others sharing the same problem. After you have paid this much for a room why should you have to pay extra to sit on grass??

The late afternoon of the fourth we spent at the very crowded pool/water slide. We purchased drinks and lemonade for the kids at the pool bar. The lemonade was seriously bad, smelled bad, tasted bad - like sewer water. When we took it back to the poolside bar we were told, "everyone is complaining about it, just get something else". Being very concerned about the health issue of this I went to the front desk and asked for the highest level manager I could get. I got the food manager who said he was sorry and would look into it. We went back an hour later and asked for lemonade and got exactly the same bad smelling, bad tasting lemonade (which I kept so that I can show it to the Pima County Health Department when I complained to them).

We gave up on refreshments for the kids and moved on with the evening. Had the fireworks, sat in front of the lobby, checked out the next morning. And guess what, we paid the full bill for the drinks at the pool bar. No reduction, no we're sorry for your experience, nothing.

We have stayed at this resort for years. Between our disgusting experience and that of friends who stayed the same weekend, we are done and will go elsewhere even if it costs more or is farther away. They have a serious management and customer satisfaction problem.

3 Thank jdinariz
I apologize for the miscommunication regarding the 4th of July Fireworks show. Just to clarify, we have never charged our registered guests a fee to watch the fireworks. Perhaps you were referencing the “Stars & Stripes Classic BBQ” which is a BBQ buffet that we offer, as another dining option, to both our guests and outside patrons on the 4th of July, and yes we do charge for the BBQ. The live concert and fireworks are entertainment that we provide for guests who choose to spend their 4th of July holiday with us. Our holiday weekends and activities have become a tradition for many families and friends over the years.

I regret that you were disappointed with the beverages at the Desert Springs Pool Bar, our soft drink lines have been recently changed by an outside vendor. It’s an entirely new system, and we’ve not had any other complaints regarding the integrity of the beverages served. I will share your feedback with our food & beverage manager so that they can further investigate the issue.
Thank you for your review, and again, I apologize for your disappointing experience.