“A little Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“A little Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

I have to preface this by saying I am not a big fan or "Resorts" - they charge you for everything and do not readily provide basics like microwaves and fridges. They told me to just take all of the stuff out of the minibar to use as a fridge.

I bought this stay specifically for the water park aspect of it and the pools. We paid extra for a resort fee to have access to all of the amenities. We got in about 6:30pm and they told us the waterpark area closed at 5pm. We woke up the next morning to thunderstorms and all of the pools were closed. I asked if they had any indoor and they did not, not even a hot tub inside. Therefore all of the fun things we had wanted to do were unavailable.

I called the manager and suggested they keep the water area open during daylight hours (it gets dark after 9pm in Tucson). He refunded me the resort fee.

I felt this was a huge waste of money and we could have stayed up the road at a regular hotel to just sleep in a bed and work out in a gym.

Cleanliness
Lynn E, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
I apologize for your disappointment with your recent stay. Unfortunately, the monsoons can make an appearance during the summer, and disrupt outdoor activities. I understand how frustrating that can be (especially when you are traveling with children who are counting on swimming). We appreciate your feedback as it gives us an opportunity to improve our overall guest experience; please know that I will share your comments with our operations team regarding the hours of the pools. I hope that you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Arabic first
Scottsdale, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My wife and I really enjoyed our time at Tucson's El Conquistador Resort. The room was clean but not overly quiet as it faced the pool. We had our young grandchildren visit us during the day. They loved the pool and waterslide. Also the children's movies at the pool were a hit. The grown-up activities were fun after the grandchildren went home. Food and service were both very good.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy the pool, waterslide, and the dive-in movies with your grandchildren. Thank you for staying with us, and we hope to welcome you back to the Hilton El Conquistador again soon.
Zuid-Scharwoude, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We love this hotel, so if we are in arizona we always stay here. We had a all inclusive packeges, breakfast/lunch/diner, value for money. We had lunch at the pool, and dinner in the restaurant fantastic. The staff is very friendly. We love comming to tucson.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lynn E, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and took advantage of our all-inclusive package. Thank you for your kind words about our team members, and we will look forward to welcoming you back when your travels return you to Arizona.
Scottsdale, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

If you need accommodations for a group to have specific room requests do not stay here. What you are told will happen on the phone and actually happens when you get there are 2 different things. Nice rooms and fun pool area, but make sure you get a room in the main hotel if you have children.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I apologize that your room request was not met. We do our best to accommodate our guests and group rooms’ requests, and would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in regards to your particular situation, please contact our Director of Front Office, Shannon Schilling at Shannon.schilling@hilton.com or call: 520-544-1189 to speak with him direct. Thank you for your feedback, and we hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed overnight at the El conquistador (7/23/2014) and sadly was very disappointed. We had used thousands of Hilton Honors points and would expect for this being a 5 star rated resort our experience would've been much better.

We first walked in to a musty, old smell in the lobby, but thought well...maybe it's just something in the air. Checked in with no problems, and proceeded to our room which was in building 3 in the back corner facing away from the pool (not great for having kids that would be using the pool). We called the front desk and spoke with Marissa who kindly moved us to another room in building 2 with a pool view. While the room had a better view, the "musty,old" smell was in there as well. The room itself was a great size, but really needs to be remodeled. The thermostat itself looks like it was from the 70's!!! The carpeting in the hallways and rooms is outdated and dingy and in our room by the bathroom area was a wet spot that when we first got there I thought might have been from a wet shoe or something, but it never went away.

The views of the mountains from the pool area are beautiful, but I don't know if that is enough to overlook the need for some serious remodeling of the hotel. The pool area is in bad shape and the hot tub/cool springs area is disgusting and old!!!

I truly hope that for the resorts sake they do a remodel sooner than later just to keep up with other area resorts around town who are remodeling!!!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Ana P
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. We appreciate your feedback, as it is incredibly important to us, and apologize for your recent experience. We are expecting a guestroom refresh in the near future, and hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back.
Portales, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at this property for a week in mid February on business. The property is located on extremely beautiful landscape, at the foot of a gorgeous Arizona mountain range....the views are amazing. The property on the other hand was adequate, but definitely not one that blew my socks off or what I would expect from a worldwide premium hotel chain resort location. The rooms are older, and major renovations should be done to modernize this property. A foul on housekeeping regarding my room was that they neglected to clean the mini-fridge, and I was faced with cleaning a sticky, brownish goo out of there myself. An upside to the room was that the mattresses were clean and comfortable, free of stains or any signs of bed bugs, and the shower and bathroom area was immaculately clean.

They have a pretty nice fitness center, which I used while there, and also a spa, which you can pay for massages.

Although not a full throated endorsement, I would recommend this property to those staying in the north Tucson area, as it is clean, on beautiful grounds, and the negatives I spoke of are minor fouls when looking at the big picture.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review about your stay in February. We appreciate your feedback, and please know that I have shared your comments with our Director of Housekeeping regarding the issue with the mini-fridge. I apologize for the inconvenience that this may have caused you. We are expecting a room refresh in the very near future. I am pleased that you enjoyed the beautiful mountain views. Thank you for staying with us, and we will look forward to welcoming you back if your travels return you to Tucson.
Lutz, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2014

We recently traveled to Tucson for a family event, and chose this resort based on the fact that my husband is a Diamond member at Hilton and the proximity to our event. We arrived late due to a diverted flight, and were told that they were unable to provide our standard upgrade, or place us in the main building. Parking was extremely difficult due to the number of guests at the resort over the Fourth of July holiday, and finding the way to our casita in the dark after finally locating a spot was hard as well. It is a good 10 minute walk (uphill) to the main building, and our two teenage daughters felt very unsafe traveling to/from the pool area on their own in the evening. After the first night, my husband returned to the front desk to see if there was any chance of being moved into the main building. We were finally able to do so after the second night. After being told we had to vacate our current room by 11 and that the new room would ready, we had to wait until 3 for housekeeping to have the new room ready. The king bedroom suite was a more upgraded room, but we needed to order a pull out bed to accommodate our daughters. Usually, Diamond members are provided such services for free, but we were told that we would still have to pay and that we could get it for 1/2 price. The pool was extremely crowded for the July 4th weekend, so much so that there really wasn't any room in the pool. Housekeeping didn't arrive until late or not at all some days. The breakfast buffet was very good, but we were only given 2 breakfast vouchers instead of 4 which would have accommodated our whole family, so it was very expensive. We have stayed at Hiltons worldwide, and this was honestly the worst service that we have ever received. My husband is very loyal to Hilton, and stays at their hotels over 100 nights a year for business/vacations, and he wasn't even greeted/thanked for being a Diamond member, which is a standard at every other Hilton we have stayed at. Very disappointed--we will not be back!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Heidi S
Lynn E, General Manager at Hilton Tucson El Conquistador Golf & Tennis Resort, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
I appreciate your candid review of your recent stay with our resort. I apologize for your first room assignment not meeting your expectations as comfort and safety is my highest priority for our guests. Our junior suites with a king bed have a pull-out sofa sleeper, and there is an additional fee for the Suite Dreams Sleeper (a twin size bed).
Our Hilton HHonors Diamond Members receive the benefits listed below (which can be found on the Hilton HHonors website).

Hilton Hotels & Resorts - My Way Diamond Membership Hotel Benefits:
• Space-available upgrade to a preferred room
• 1,000 HHonors Bonus Points per stay
• A complimentary continental breakfast for you and up to one additional guest registered to the same room each day of your stay
• Executive Floor Lounge Access (available at select properties)

Members with Diamond status receive all member benefits:

• Quick reservations and check-ins based on your room preferences
• Late check-out
• Express check-out
• Spouse stays free
• Complimentary access to fitness centers and health clubs
• Two complimentary bottles of water per stay
• eCheck-In: Select your room and check in online up to 24 hours in advance at participating properties
• Complimentary In-Room and Lobby Wi-Fi Internet Access during stay

I apologize for your disappointment and the housekeeping challenges you experienced during your visit. Holiday weekends are especially busy because of the entertainment and activities that we offer for the July 4th holiday. I hope that your family will return the next time your travels return you to Tucson, and please feel free to contact me direct so that we can accommodate your family in one of our main buildings near the pool.