“Good hotel, very good pool, nice services”

El Conquistador Tucson, a Hilton Resort
Ranked #13 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We got an early check-in, and got into a crowd of people checking out, so had to wait about 30 minutes to check in. Routing around the parking lot is a little strange. There were cars blocking the place where the valets take your car. I had to park in the lead-up to the valet place and walk up to check in.
The pool requires a wrist-band, which is a little weird. Also to get pool towels you have to give your room number and name, and sign a form. That's a little weird. Then you have to turn the same number of towels back in, or you get charged $10 a towel.
The room was pretty nice. Rather old style. There's a vanity outside the bathroom, but no sink there. It's a Hilton, so don't expect a microwave oven or a refrigerator. There is a minibar in the room, with Hilton priced drinks.
Our package included free wifi, which worked pretty well.
We were in building 3, with a view of the mountains, facing away from the pool. Mostly we could see mountains with houses on them, but the big mountains near the resort are extremely scenic.
The pool was the highlight of this hotel. It's surrounded by excellent landscaping, and it's 9 feet deep in places. It's got a very nice bar (with Hilton priced drinks) and lots of nice poolside chairs and lounges. There's a kiddy pool, and a water slide, and a hot-tub and cold-tub near each other.
The conference area is pretty standard. Our free in-room wifi doesn't work in the conference area, but there was wifi available to purchase, for $45 per day. As I said, Hilton pricing.
Fortunately we had a group rate, and so the room was pretty inexpensive.
There was an amateur astronomer at night with a pretty nice telescope letting folks see the stars. That was pretty nice. And at the pool there was a kid movie at 8p.m.
I would stay here again, but there were a few issues with the place. Walking to the room from the parking lot was a pretty long way. We saw a snake right behind the lobby, right near the pool. It was a king snake, and was headed right toward the guy with the telescope. We shoo'ed it away from there. I thought that was pretty funny. Not dangerous. Very Arizona.
The handrail in the elevator in building 2 was loose and rattling. The smell in the hallway between rooms was weird. There were only two coffee cups in the hotel room. Just a few little things.
The beds were extremely comfortable.

Room Tip: Get some sort of package or special rate. I wouldn't pay full Hilton prices for this place.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Lynn E, General Manager at El Conquistador Tucson, a Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your review. I apologize for the wait you had for check-in, and the issues you encountered with valet. I am pleased to read that you were able to enjoy some of the “Conquer the Summer” activities that we offer guests over the weekend, and of course, the beautiful mountain views. I hope that we can welcome you back again soon the next time your leisure or business travel brings you to Tucson.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,110)

Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

We just left from a great family reunion/80th birthday for my grandma. The staff were all friendly and the grounds were well kept. The party was great. My complaint comes in regarding kid friendliness. They don't have a mini fridge in the room beside the mini bar which we later found out we could get a key from the desk and take stuff out to put in what we wanted, but it would have been nice to have and empty fridge to put water extras in because as soon as I opened the fridge the kids wanted everything out of it. Also they didn't have any kids channels available free. You could purchase episodes for $3 a piece. It was also VERY annoying that the kids pool areas closed at 6pm. We were there for 5 min before we were asked to leave when we checked in closer to 5 pm. The over all pool areas were nice and they always had something going on. Around 8 they had a dive in movie. The kids like watching a movie in the pool after dark.

Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for your review. We appreciate being a part of your family reunion, and your grandmother’s 80th birthday! I apologize that our TV channel line-up did not meet your needs, and I will share your feedback with our operations team. We hope that we can welcome you back again when your travels return you to Tucson.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

I Had a paid reservation at a nearby hotel. I was unable to get an 'internet map' and the IDIOT on the phone gave me incorrect directions. So......here I was in the 'middle of nowhere'. I passed this resort on the way... I thought: "I wish I was Staying there". Still unable to find the OTHER hotel...I pulled in here. It was a Saturday before noon. I got a room immediatly (only $109 +$20 resort fee) Ground floor with a patio facing the courtyard with adjacent streams and desert fauna. NICE ROOM: huge...Big couch and wet bar area. The pool area spacious and other zero-depth splash pool./ and 3rd. rock slide pool. The 2 restaurants AWESOME. Great sevice from the staff. Originally a business trip, and stayed one night at a well known discount chain, but wanted something nicer with amnenities: I GOT IT! Would go back here again and again. Decided to stay an extra night: only $89 WOW

Room Tip: Ground Floor; facing the courtyard(s)
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Aerovergalineas

Thank you for the great review on TripAdvisor! I am delighted that you decided to stay with us, and enjoyed the wonderful amenities, and restaurants that we have on-site. We will look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels return you to Tucson.

Reviewed 21 August 2014

We came here for a two-night weekend stay with mom, dad, four children ranging from 3 to 10 and grandma. We were a bit worried it would be wild because it was one of their "slumber party" weekends but, although the pools were busy, we never felt inconvenienced at all. We had two rooms (not adjoining, unfortunately) in the Cozumel building--the rooms were very clean, very quiet, not luxurious but certainly up to what you expect from a Hilton. Next time we would opt for rooms poolside though because it was a hot walk from the rooms to the pool with the children. The pools are great--separate pool for wee ones, nice slide pool and a huge large pool with a snack bar and, on Friday night, there were smores for sale that you could toast yourself on grills. Only odd thing was the towel arrangement. You had to sign for towels and they told me that if the towels weren't returned either in the room or to the towel attendant, we would be charged $10 per towel. Well, we signed for 6, brought them back to our room, intending to use them the next day. But when we returned after breakfast to change into our bathing suits, the towels had been cleared away by the room cleaner. So had to go and get more. There was no problem with that but I am still watching my credit card to ensure that I don't get charged more for the towels. Otherwise it was a great resort and we will definitely be back as a family. Wouldn't come back here with my husband for a quiet weekend though. This is definitely a resort for the younger set.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor. I am pleased that your family enjoyed your stay, and plan on visiting again. Thank you for your feedback regarding our pool towel sign-out system. Please know that I will share your comments with our operation's team.
We will look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My adult daughter and I decided to go to a fun Girl's only get away at this resort down the road from our home. We were taking part in one of the local radio show disc jockeys " slumber party". As soon as the rooms were available to reserve for the two day option instead of one, that the two bed rooms were already gone. And surprise, surprise the next option was a jr King Suite with fold out couch. Took it because we really wanted to go. The bed was very comfortable, the room huge with separate walk in closet and nice bathroom with a really long tub.the only fridge was a mini bar fridge all ready supplied. We were informed that we could remove or rearrange it and use it but that it wouldn't be cold enough for perishables! Seems a bit thoughtless in this day and age not to have a real fridge, especially in hot AZ. There was no microwave. A resort facility usually means a stay of more than a day, so the average person usually keeps some food in room, so a fridge and microwave are nice to have. Suppose they want you to use their four restaurants options.there was a nice arrangement of couch, two comfortable leather chairs, desk area, but no free internet, which is almost available in any hotel anymore! There was a nice patio with seating, our view was if the always beautiful Catalina MTS. the buildings are all centered around the pool area which was great, there are several pool options. The real issue we had with our room was the door. At night you could see light from the outer hall all the way around the door. When there was noise in the hall, that came through the door also. We were in building one on the top floor (5). Great music sat.(16th) in the front lobby lounge.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Lynn E, General Manager at El Conquistador Tucson, a Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and your recent stay for “Shannon’s Slumber Party” event. I am pleased that you enjoyed the live music entertainment in the lobby lounge, and the beautiful views of the Catalina Mountains.
We anticipate a product refresh in the near future, and will take your feedback regarding the refrigerator, and the guest room doors into consideration as we move forward with this process. Thank you for your stay, and we hope to welcome you and your daughter back again soon.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

We took a weekend trip to Tucson for my birthday! It's the off-season so rates are cheap so we went to the Hilton El Conquistador Resort. Tennis - YES Golf - YES. We don't do either, but the resort had a great rate and we both needed a weekend away.

Registration - breeze. But, we noted signs announcing a radio station event also scheduled at the resort for Saturday. It was a Country radio station and their morning DJ Shannon was hosting a ladies only sleepover. There was to be 800 women descending on the resort in their PJs for a sleepover on my birthday.

My wife and I are not fans of country music and we had heard from local people staying at the resort, this group was thrown out of the hotel where this event was held last year.

We braved it out. We were assured by staff our suite was located on the opposite side of the resort complex from all the potential mayhem.

So, began our check-in...we were running a little late getting out of Phoenix so by the time we checked in and got unpacked in our room it was after 8p and we hadn't eaten dinner.

Then the decision making process began...should we get back in the car and Yelp! a location or should we give the resort restaurant a try...

We decided to stay and first, we went to the lobby bar for a nosh and a drink. We were informed since the event was taking place everything would be served in plastic cups...blech!!! Well, I got them to give me a chilled glass for my beer, my wife was less picky, but enjoyed her Sauvignon Blanc just the same. We also had the Chef's Board as an appetizer...with assorted marinated vegetables, a spiced dill pickle and various cheeses and meats. Nice!

We then heada great meal for dinner at Epazote Kitchen. Great may be mild...beef short ribs in an amazing sauce on top of goat's milk mashed potatoes...my wife had the pork and it was also delicious. For dessert we shared flan and the peach cobbler, but we couldn't finish it. Both were top notch.

I am part owner of a restaurant in Mesa and as such, I am in the service industry. Alice, our waiter was exemplary! The chef came out and paid our table a visit as well and we both complimented him for the great meal we had experienced.

I haven't talked about the room yet. The resort is 31 years old. There are some things I would change out, but this is obviously a Hilton property. A fully tiled bathroom would have been nice. but that's really it. Bed was great and we had our own private balcony where we played music and drank champagne for my birthday.

We eat buffet breakfast both days. Both days it was good and filling and on Sunday morning they had an eggs your way station...that was a nice added item. They had tons of items to be added to the steel cut oats. They did run a bit low on some quantities on Saturday and they didn't appear to be overly busy, but...getting hot items right off the griddle is good too!

So, this party of 800 that descended on the resort? For the most part, the resort did a good job of keeping them cordoned off from the rest of the guests in their own wing of the resort. But, with only one...very large...but only one pool...it became impossible to keep this group completely invisible. I will say the customer facing staff was always professional even when tested by customers who were inebriated and vulgar. I saw several instances where the hotel bars refused to over serve, but these folks had their own stash in their rooms so what can you do, right?

Also, I need to mention our shuttle driver, Kevin! Nice work and you were a delight to your passengers! Thanks for all your help and for the very pleasant conversation both to and from the store.

Everyone from check in Carissa..thanks!, concierge Dallas, thanks...and the food and beverage manager...woman..I can't remember her name...Jordan who waited on us on Sunday morning...really everyone. Wonderful job. We will be back next year and we will recommend you to everyone we know.

Thanks, thanks and more thanks!

Overall, this staff, these wonderful and extremely helpful

Room Tip: Mountain view is beautiful and you don't hear any of the noise from the pool area.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Lynn E, General Manager at El Conquistador Tucson, a Hilton Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you for the wonderful review on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and that it exceeded your expectations. I am pleased that you were able to enjoy Epazote Kitchen & Cocktails, and Sundance. Please know that I will personally recognize all the team members that you mentioned in your review, and appreciate you recognizing them by name.
We will look forward to welcoming you back next year.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

One of the nicest courses and resorts for a very affordable price. Great food onsite and amazing views of the Catalina Mountains, you cannot beat this resort!! Hopefully when you stay both courses will be open, as they have 2 unbelievable 18-hole courses!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

I am pleased that you enjoyed your golf retreat, and the beautiful mountain views.
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We will look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels return you to Tucson.