“Average, but close to Pima Community College”
Review of Stone Inn

Stone Inn
Ranked #97 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 1 April 2012

There are other motels, like Quality Inn, nearby, but I didn't know that,so I booked this one. It is an older motel, adequate in the sense that one gets the basics, plus free internet (a bit slow),table and chairs, a fridge, a microwave, but no coffee maker. The continental breakfast is minimal: orange juice, coffee (regular), packaged muffins, danish, and bearclaws. You have to take the breakfast to your room as the lobby is small with no tables. There are no trays, but they will give you a box that acts like a tray. The best part is that, if you are visiting Pima Community College for an event, it is right across the street so you can walk there and leave your car in the motel parking lot. Also, there is no elevator to the second floor.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ANNIE S

Reviewed 7 February 2012

This is a no frills hotel. It was clean, there was new paint on the walls and the bath had a granite floor.The TV worked, there was a mini fridge and a microwave. There was no coffee maker in the room. Outlets for charging devices were no existent. I had to unplug a lamp at the table (unfortunately it was also the main room light) and unplug the microwave to get two outlets. The Continental breakfast is coffee, OJ, bananas or apples, and a plastic wrapped muffin. The WiFi did not connect. I got signal but no sign in page to allow access. If you are staying for the Gem show the rates are over $100 per night for very little. At a lower rate this would be a great little place to stay. It is right on the bus routes and close enough to the University you can walk home from dinner if you need to walk of some calories.

Room Tip: Stay upstairs if possible. Noise travels.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank CurtisWhatley
Reviewed 19 July 2011

my husband and I called and made a reservation, they were very pleasant on the phone. I still wasn't sure if I wanted to stay because you never know until you get to one of those places, if it is in a bad area or dirty or something. But, when I walk into the office the manager that I had spoken to remembered everything about our conversation, made us feel very welcomed. The office and area was very clean, nice cars in the parking lot, our smoking room didn't even smell like a smoking room. They cleaned our room daily, clean sheets, towels. Small pool, but very clean as well. We are on a budget like so many other people and will need to come back to this area, we will be staying here again. The other person said that it is like a gem, they are correct. For the price, I couldn't be more pleased, it's also located right in front of the college and I never felt in harms way.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank shahopper
Reviewed 24 March 2010

We went to this motel for years. It is like a hidden gem, clean and inexpensive. With inexpensive, motels often have some smell. Not this one. It has always been clean, when it changed management, it is even cleaner. The couple managing the property went to extra lengths to make sure the rooms are not only clean but have nice touches to it.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank quester30
Reviewed 6 December 2009

My husband and I were planning an overnight trip in Tucson and wanted something inexpensive and clean that was near downtown. I'm quite pleased to report that the Rodeway Inn fit all three criteria, and then some - our room sported a brand-new double-paned window, new carpeting and furniture and a surprisingly comfortable bed with sheets that smelled freshly washed. Additionally, the tiling and fixtures in the bathroom were all new and quite nice, and (most importantly) everything was spic and span. The patched-up wall and older single-paned window in the bathroom belied the building's age, but on the whole it was a remarkably nice room for the price.

Quality aside, it's definitely a budget motel - the accommodations are pretty basic (bed, nightstands, table, dresser, small TV) and the location is right on a major thoroughfare, so expect some road noise. Our room was also in a high-traffic spot (at the top of the main staircase), so we had a bunch of people walking by and looking in our window - fortunately there were nice thick curtains to take care of that. The exterior was well-lit, which we appreciated when we came back late from clubbing. Check in service was brusque but efficient - the Korean couple at the front desk weren't much for conversation, but they got us our room key without any fuss. We had to ask for the password for the free wi-fi, but the signal was strong and connection speed above average.

A word about the previous reviews: I get the impression the place has come under a change of ownership recently, as none of them agree at all with my own experience. We intend to return, and I'll edit this review if it turns out I just got lucky. Based on this stay, though, I would highly recommend the place to anyone looking for clean, inexpensive basic accommodation in a central location.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 December 2009

Close to our kids apt and they allowed our dogs at a reasonable rate

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2008

I seriously feared for my life at this property. Unknowingly, it was kind of in a bad area and I was a single woman staying alone and they put me all the way in the back even though I asked for a different room. My door looked like it had been kicked in many times as there were gaps where you could actually see outside. The only positive was that the dresser was very heavy and I was able to push it all the way against the door that night. The people next door were smoking pot and cigarettes and the four guys kept glaring at me as I came and went. The room smelled and it was moldy and disgusting. I was thankful that I wasn't raped or murdered that night...the other positive. I am 46 and have never been this scared in a hotel ever before. I did end up switching to another hotel twice the price on the far east side of Tucson in a much nicer area for my remaining 3 nights.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank patidallas22