“Wonderful stay at this gem of a hotel!”

Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #19 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 4 December 2011

My family and I stayed at the Lodge on the Desert for 4 nights in mid-November and were extremely happy with the accommodations and service at this hotel. The location was terrific for a local event we were attending. We stayed in adjoining traditional double queen rooms with fireplaces. The rooms were spacious, clean and comfortable. The grounds are beautifully landscaped and well maintained. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We especially appreciated Joseph's careful attention to friendly service at the bar/restaurant. The food at the restaurant is excellent and the margaritas are out of this world! We enjoyed sitting around the outdoor fireplace on the restaurant/bar patio. Frank Rodriguez, the general manager, is friendly and service oriented. He spent some time talking with us and explaining some of the history of the hotel. We highly recommend the Lodge on the Desert for overnight accommodations or for an evening of great food and drinks at the restaurant. The Lodge on the Desert is now our hotel of choice in Tucson!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank xelasi

Reviewed 29 November 2011

Lodge on the desert has always been the most comfortable place to stay in Tucson. Quiet, Elegant but not stuffy, Large Clean Rooms (the deluxe rooms. Been a while since I stayed in the regular rooms) Great Food and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Stick to the deluxe rooms and suites.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 November 2011

We were in Tucson for our annual Thanksgiving family gathering. We were interested in staying in a nice hotel but not in one of the large resorts outside of the city. We were very pleasantly surprised by the Lodge on the Desert. The room was quite large, nicely decorated, and had a gas fireplace which we didn't use. We would have had to ask to have the gas turned on and we didn't get around to doing so. The bed was a king and comfortable. The comforter was large enough that there was no tug of war during the night. The bathroom was also large and had a separate shower and tub. There was a large flat screen TV in the room. The only things that were problems were that there was only one comfortable chair in the room in a space that could have accommodated a love seat or sofa, so the only way to sit and watch TV or read was to sit on the bed, and that the wireless internet was not strong enough for us to use it in our room. It worked well in the lobby and library. We mentioned the issue of seating in the room to the general manager, a charming and accommodating man, and he said he was already working on it. I don't know if my husband mentioned the wifi problem. The decor is Southwestern, but is very tasteful; no cowboy hats here. There was a library/game room in which we could gather. Breakfast in the restaurant was excellent, creative and plentiful. We didn't have dinner there because we were visiting family, but the menu was very enticing. The chef is CIA trained and is an Iron Chef (maybe just in AZ but still...). We will have dinner there during our next stay. We didn't make use of the bar. The pool looked lovely but it was too cool for us to want to swim. The hotel does not have exercise facilities on site but has an arrangement with a nearby gym. In the many years that we have been traveling to Arizona to visit family at Thanksgiving, the only other hotel that has exceeded our expectations was the Arizona Inn, and it is larger and much more expensive. The location was ideal for us since it was about 20 minutes from the airport and about equidistant from the homes of two family members.

Room Tip: I think they are all very good. My son's room was just like ours except that it didn't have...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 November 2011

A friend and I wanted to get away for Thanksgiving weekend, so we picked Tucson. Neither of us had been there before, and we found Lodge on the Desert on-line. The rooms were great and the bar and restaurant were great also. The service was excellent all around, from the front desk to the waiters at the bar and restaurant. Even though they were working on Thanksgiving, they were fun and polite. The chef was always around, talking to the guests. The grounds were beautiful, lots of colorful flowers and very nice space. We played golf at the municipal course right down the street, which was great too! It was so close, and convenient to everything. I don't know that much about Tucson, but I knew I didn't want to stay at a resort on the outskirts of town. So, I would stay here and eat here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I thought it was really nice. The staff was very helpful and even provided us with information and directions for things to see and do in the Tucson area. Rooms were spacious and clean. Pool and hot tub were well maintained and open 24/7. We enjoyed the food and drinks at the bar, particularly during happy hour. Nice view of the mountains, however traffic noise on that side was annoying during rush hour. Free parking was a plus too.

Room Tip: If you get a mountain view, you probably will not have a jacuzzi in your room.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This hotel was also recommended to me as "similiar" to the AZ Inn, which you can not beat.
But the price here in October was half of the AZ Inn, so I decided to try it. It is quiet, the rooms are huge! Clean, but not enough lighting in the LV to read by really. Our bathroom was gigantic with a huge jacuzzi tub. Glass block windows so finally a bathroom you can see it! (So many hotels have such dark bathrooms you can not see to put your make up on.)
Downfalls... the pool is small and this time of year hard to find a sunny spot, if your goal is pool time and sun, this may not be the place for you. The front desk staff gave me a map and told me how to find my room late on my check in day. Instead of showing me my room, it is a bit of a complicated maze of a property. Restaurant is fabulous, but not too pretty. Waiters were great. I would drive there to eat, but not for the ambience. AZ Inn is better at that.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank VacationerSeattle
Reviewed 23 October 2011

Was looking for centrally located accommodations in Tuscon and liked the South western themed Lodge on the Desert. The grounds are spacious and beautiful. Our room was huge and quiet. It was so quiet my wife needed her white noise appliance to help her sleep. I think each room has a kiva style fireplace. It was romantic strolling the meandering paths from our room to the front desk or restaurant area. The staff is very friendly and helpful. There is good value here. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011