“Pick the Lodge”

Ranked #23 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Tucson, Arizona
“Pick the Lodge”
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Our stay at the Lodge exceeded our expectations. Excellent service and very clean grounds. The rooms are beautifully updated with fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs. Flat screen TVs and wifi in every location. I highly recommend eating at the restaurant. Our meal was delicious, the steak and lobster ravioli was to die for! Next time your in Tucson, I highly suggest staying at the Lodge on the Desert you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Sierra Vista, Arizona
Reviewed 23 January 2012

I was so amazed by this lodge. Very elegant and clean. The staff were polite and helpful. I was sad to leave I must say because I enjoyed my self so much.

I am returning very soon after the Gem Show and plan to stay longer. Also, the restaurant was delicous . . . . . it was a great get-away for me!

Elegant, sophiscticated beauty . . . . .

Room Tip: Rooms in the back are nice and quiet. Thise place is elegant and the staff are top notch.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Surbiton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Great layout and architecture though the rooms can be difficult to locate at night. It was lean season on an August evening and there was very poor lighting. The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated. The pueblo tilework in the bathroom is artistic. Double sinks are a welcome feature. The balcony can be a breezy experience even on summer evenings. Value for money, especially in summer.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 January 2012

We stayed here on New Years eve. Fantastic stay. We were in the new section. I couldn't believe the rate versus the price. It is a super deal. The rooms are enormous, the bed comfortable, the bathroom super clean. Fireplace was a bonus. Charming property. The pool is aparently heated and available 24 hours - awesome. We should have tried it. They had delicious local artisan coffee in the room. I'd only say they should figure out a way to get the little half n half creams instead of the powder junk. The manager said he could bring it to the room if we had asked though. Really, I have absolutely no complaints and would highly recommend. My only suggestion is that they should upgrade the showerhead, it is out of proportion and cheap. So, odd since they clearly have so many nice details, but they missed it there. Also,you should have the cleaning staff place the showerhead to the right because to turn on the pressure balance valve you basically will get wet with cold water - no way around it because of the shower lay out/glass barrier. Again, don't let that deter you from staying here, I am picky because I design bathrooms for a living. The rate is very generous, the staff is very nice. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: new room was excellent, we were in the back. Can't speak for the older section, didn't chec...
1 Thank travelhappytraveler
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 January 2012

Lodge on the Desert was impressive. My husband and I (in our 20's) took my parents (in their 50's) to Tucson for a long weekend. We booked a room on accident that was suited for a family with small children (only one bathroom and an open layout that included no-door on one bedroom).

When we asked if anything else was available, they were happy to investigate. The concierge got the GM involved and he showed us a couple of options that I'm sure they had to turn around on a dime from previous customers' stays since were were in town during a big girl's soccer tourney and most rooms were booked.

The GM gave us an extra room for free for one night while we waited for another, more spacious room to open up. They were always friendly, willing to bend over backwards, really economical and so patient.

Thumbs up and I highly recommend!

Room Tip: The hotel has an historic side and a newer side. The historic side has some character, but the new s...
1 Thank J M
Scottsdale
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed one night and enjoyed our beautiful spacious room with fireplace. The weather had turned cooler and rainy and we enjoyed the ambiance and heat. Our room had a large walk in shower that was nice. We ate at the restaurant and had the salmon and NY strip. It was very good. We loved the grounds and the location and would go back.

Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed 17 January 2012

Came here on a spontaneous mini-vacation to Tucson, couldnt turn down the special rate of $99 for 2 queens with fireplace, and included full breakfast at their restaurant. Had a minor issue at check-in when they had no idea about the included full-breakfast, but was remedied later that evening when I went back to the front desk, and they had a voucher for 2 adult breakfasts (we had 2 kids as well, but kids meals are only $5, so I thought it was a good deal anyways). The room was lovely, clean, and large. The TV was only 32" after reading online that the rooms had 42" TVs, but not a big deal. There was a patio, but only about 4 feet wide and 1 foot long. The gas fireplace was very nice and we enjoyed it. We went swimming their small, intimate pool which was heated, so we could go in despite the 60 degree outside temps. The spa was nice too, with the perfect temperature. We were anticipated a special breakfast due to the highly acclaimed chef (Ryan Clark) being there. The restaurant is very nice decor and ambiance. although small. The service there was the issue. It was slow and not very attentive. Any request took much longer than necessary and the attitude of our server was not the most pleasant. The food overall was good, not fancy presentation as I expected. My wife ordered the sweet potato pancake, but could not taste any sweet potatoes, only seeing occasional specks of orange. The food was tasty overall, but leery of going back due to the service. I would definitely return to the hotel if I saw this deal on my next trip to Tucson.

Room Tip: request a mountain view room
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family