“Very Pleasant”

Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #17 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Accommodating staff, beautiful views, charming property, clean rooms, simple decor, excellent restaurant, convenient location...
Will stay at the Lodge on the Desert again and again; it is my first choice.

Room Tip: The second floor of the north side of the hotel yields a beautiful view of the Catalinas.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Lodge on the Desert

Reviewed 23 January 2014

We absolutely loved LOTD!! This was our first trip to Tucson and we wanted a hotel close to restaurants and attractions. We found LOTD to be the perfect choice for us. The grounds are beautiful and so peaceful, with hummingbirds galore. We chose a traditional king room with a private patio. Since we were staying a week, we wanted a large room with plenty of space for all of our stuff. No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to pack light! This room was perfect, even had a walk in closet. The bathroom also had tons of counter space. Our room was very clean. Housekeeping does a fantastic job!

Our bed was so wonderful. We slept like babies every night. We loved the southwestern décor. Stenciling above the windows is a nice touch. We had breakfast at the lodge restaurant one morning and it was very good.

We loved the grounds around the lodge. There are so many kinds of cacti all around the winding pathways. We enjoyed walking around the lodge and sitting by the pool. Everything is so well maintained. If you are looking for a beautiful retreat with lots of amenities, you must stay here. A really good value as well. I took full advantage of the free WIFI. There is also Starbucks coffee in room!

We are so happy we chose LOTD for our first trip to sunny Tucson. The location is great for exploring all Tucson has to offer. Every day was about 74 degrees without a cloud in the sky! Can't get more perfect than that! Highly recommend.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I would make a trip to Tucson just to stay at the Lodge. What a delightful place. Our room was large with a fireplace and a balcony looking at the mountains. Our bathroom was huge with every amenity. The staff were all wonderful.
Kareen Simon-Eichmann

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This was our first trip to Tucson and we weren't sure where to stay. We found the lodge through an internet search and liked its southwestern décor and it seemed peaceful and serene. We booked a 1 bedroom and with the AMA rate, it was very reasonable.

Our check-in was fast and friendly and as we made our way to our building, a helpful housekeeper stopped to ask if we needed directions. Our 2nd floor room was huge with a fireplace and a small balcony facing out to the mountains - the sunsets were amazing.

The bed was absolutely heavenly; best sleeps we've ever had in a hotel. The grounds are well cared for and the pool was lovely. And the adobe/southwestern décor was just as pictured on their website. We loved it.

We had dinner in the restaurant one night. The selection was very small - only 5 or 6 items to choose from, but the food was top notch. 1 meal was pork tenderloin which was perfectly cooked and the other was salmon (from Campbell River) that was so light and flakey and nearly melted in your mouth. I asked for a vegetable substitution since brussel spouts is not a favourite - and there was no hesitation. We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals and the service was pleasant and efficient. The meals are a little pricey, but in the end worth it.

There is a lovely courtyard with a big fireplace outside the bar and restaurant which we didn't use that night since there was a very big group in there and it was noisy. So we ate inside and enjoyed it very much.

Next trip to Tucson, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again - or to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are accessible by stairs only
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I visited Tucson for a couple days of cycling in the sun. I had booked a room in a cheap chain hotel near the airport and after the first night of being uncomfortable and feeling unsafe I decided I could afford better and I booked a room at The Lodge for the remainder of my trip. What made me choose the lodge were the reviews and the fact that they advertised having Sealy Beautyrest matresses which doesn't mean much aside from the possibility that they migtht be comfortable. I'm so glad I moved to The Lodge! The rooms were very nice, comfortable and quiet. The compound itself is composed a many smaller buildings and winding sidewalks which makes it quiet and beautiful. The staff was friendly. The king size bed was very very comfortable to come back to after a long day in the saddle. Bonus was it's close to many restaurants and a shopping mall. I've had all my breakfasts in the hotel restaurant. They were afordable and very good.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Everything about this hotel impresses, from the friendly reception and attractive pool area to the spacious, high-ceilinged rooms with decent balconies; but the stand-out is the overall styling of the tastefully expanded hotel complex, with a distinctive Southwestern style throughout. We enjoyed excellent margaritas during Happy Hour at the bar (just $5 a piece), and a high quality (but not cheap) dinner in the restaurant, pretty atmosphere even when largely empty early in the week. If on a tighter budget, we strongly recommend the Old Pueblo Grille just 5 minutes down the street (amazingly low prices / large portions if you eat in the bar area). There are more restaurants at the very spread-out El Con Mall (with cinemas) a further 10 minutes walk away.

1  Thank Roadboy
Reviewed 13 January 2014

If you approach the hotel at night, you'll spot the property right away among the rather nondescript surroundings, as its exterior walls are lined with white lights. Inside, the Southwestern motif is always present; tastefully done, not tacky. It is beautiful and relaxing.

I found Tucson to have a more low-key pace than, say, Scottsdale or Phoenix, and that vibe is carried through here. Granted, I was also here on a Sunday in January -- before the heat really kicked in -- so I had the pool to myself. If you're looking for an opportunity to wind down rather than rev up, chances are you'll find that experience here.

My room was huge -- much more than I needed -- and the bed was comfortable, Location-wise, it's a bit removed from the Univ. of Arizona campus and downtown, but restaurants of all sorts are relatively close by.

I'd stay here again.