Lodge on the Desert
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Arizona Inn(Tucson)
1,058 results
All reviewsgas fireplaceboutique hotelnewer roomsroom was largecactus gardensouthwestern stylesmall patiobeautiful groundswalk in showeron site restaurantpool and hot tubhappy hourmini fridgebed was very comfortabledowntown tucsoncatalina mountainsdesert
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 January 2014

From the beginning there were problems - The registration desk's computer had glitches which resulted in the front desk personnel having to start over with a different computer requiring my ID & credit card a 2nd time. The registration personnel could not determine the status of my room, if it was ready or still having "work" done on it. At one point a registration desk representative suggested giving me a different room but that was vetoed by a supervisor. When I finally arrived at the room I found holes in walls; dirty, peeling paint; windows that didn't close causing security, noise & cold draft issues; burned out light bulb. Overall disgust!
The pool, spa, restaurant and bar areas were nice. Regarding the rooms, there seems to be a huge difference between "historical" rooms, "renovated historical" rooms and the "new" section. If I had been staying more than one night, I would have requested to be moved to a recently renovated or new section room as I talked with other guests and realized the difference was huge. I have stayed in many historical properties and none as poorly kept as this one!

Room Tip: Request a recently renovated historical room or a room in the new section. Do not make a reservation for a "traditional" room without written confirmation you will be in something livable.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Frank R, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

I sincerely appreciate your choosing the Lodge on the desert and also apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay with us. Our hotel has consistently maintain our rooms, including the historical section of our hotel, to very high standards but unfortunately the specific room you were placed in was one of the rooms which was placed out of service to have those issues you noted corrected. Our desk clerks made an unfortunate mistake which was unacceptable. Our computer problems are rare and all hotels may suffer a minor glitch at some time. Why my Supervisor would not permit a change may have been due to the high occupancy and the fact that a number of our historical rooms were being renovated on that date and left only a few available and your specific room type may have also been a reason. I would like to offer you a gesture of our concern for your experience to assure you that this was unlike our typical guest experience as other review have shown.

Thank you again and I would look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Accommodating staff, beautiful views, charming property, clean rooms, simple decor, excellent restaurant, convenient location...
Will stay at the Lodge on the Desert again and again; it is my first choice.

Room Tip: The second floor of the north side of the hotel yields a beautiful view of the Catalinas.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We absolutely loved LOTD!! This was our first trip to Tucson and we wanted a hotel close to restaurants and attractions. We found LOTD to be the perfect choice for us. The grounds are beautiful and so peaceful, with hummingbirds galore. We chose a traditional king room with a private patio. Since we were staying a week, we wanted a large room with plenty of space for all of our stuff. No matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to pack light! This room was perfect, even had a walk in closet. The bathroom also had tons of counter space. Our room was very clean. Housekeeping does a fantastic job!

Our bed was so wonderful. We slept like babies every night. We loved the southwestern décor. Stenciling above the windows is a nice touch. We had breakfast at the lodge restaurant one morning and it was very good.

We loved the grounds around the lodge. There are so many kinds of cacti all around the winding pathways. We enjoyed walking around the lodge and sitting by the pool. Everything is so well maintained. If you are looking for a beautiful retreat with lots of amenities, you must stay here. A really good value as well. I took full advantage of the free WIFI. There is also Starbucks coffee in room!

We are so happy we chose LOTD for our first trip to sunny Tucson. The location is great for exploring all Tucson has to offer. Every day was about 74 degrees without a cloud in the sky! Can't get more perfect than that! Highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I would make a trip to Tucson just to stay at the Lodge. What a delightful place. Our room was large with a fireplace and a balcony looking at the mountains. Our bathroom was huge with every amenity. The staff were all wonderful.
Kareen Simon-Eichmann

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This was our first trip to Tucson and we weren't sure where to stay. We found the lodge through an internet search and liked its southwestern décor and it seemed peaceful and serene. We booked a 1 bedroom and with the AMA rate, it was very reasonable.

Our check-in was fast and friendly and as we made our way to our building, a helpful housekeeper stopped to ask if we needed directions. Our 2nd floor room was huge with a fireplace and a small balcony facing out to the mountains - the sunsets were amazing.

The bed was absolutely heavenly; best sleeps we've ever had in a hotel. The grounds are well cared for and the pool was lovely. And the adobe/southwestern décor was just as pictured on their website. We loved it.

We had dinner in the restaurant one night. The selection was very small - only 5 or 6 items to choose from, but the food was top notch. 1 meal was pork tenderloin which was perfectly cooked and the other was salmon (from Campbell River) that was so light and flakey and nearly melted in your mouth. I asked for a vegetable substitution since brussel spouts is not a favourite - and there was no hesitation. We both thoroughly enjoyed our meals and the service was pleasant and efficient. The meals are a little pricey, but in the end worth it.

There is a lovely courtyard with a big fireplace outside the bar and restaurant which we didn't use that night since there was a very big group in there and it was noisy. So we ate inside and enjoyed it very much.

Next trip to Tucson, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again - or to recommend it to others.

Room Tip: The upstairs rooms are accessible by stairs only
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple