“Loved our Stay!”

Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #19 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We booked for three nights but liked it so much that we added two additional nights for a total of 5. Our room was large with a big bath (separate walk-in shower and tub), big cozy robes, large screen T.V., excellent wi-fi, and free parking. We also got Travelzoo deal with $50 credit for our 3-night stay and used it for dinner at the restaurant each night. It was nice to be able to walk to dinner in the complex after a busy day of hiking or touring.

The restaurant and bar area are cozy and the food is good. There is a nice reading room with computer access. It was too chilly to use the pool but it's in a lovely setting.

We'd recommend this hotel and will return if we're in the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,018)

Reviewed 2 February 2014

My wife and I were on a brief road trip to Tucson with another couple who were visiting from Canada. We found this hotel to be a great deal on travelzoo.com. We got 2 1-bedroom suites for $150 a night, including a $50 resort credit which could be applied on anything purchased on the room account.
The hotel is well located in Tucson near downtown and had good free parking. The lobby is nice with some common area rooms including a library/games type room. The pool is located in the central courtyard and is always available to quiet guests. There is also a hot tub.
The Room was HUGE! I have had smaller 1 bedroom apartments in Vancouver BC! It had a very nice gas fireplace in the living room, a 4 seat dining table, a counter and a small fridge. I will say this: given the huge amount of space they could have made this into more of an efficiency unit. The coffee maker was by the his/her sinks outside the massive bathroom which was en-suite to the gigantic bedroom with its king bed. There was ample room for a kitchenette but there was one actual plumbing in the main room. Also it was a little sparse on the decor; the walls were mainly bare and there could have been a stick or two more furniture, like a sideboard or entryway cabinet.
We had a "private" balcony, but as it was only 3 yards across from another room's "private" balcony, we didn't hang out in it. Our neighbors were out on theirs making out in the plush bathrobes that come with the room. Yuk.
The free wifi was fast!
We had a good dinner in the surprisingly empty restaurant; it was a Saturday night at 830pm and we were a table of 4 with only one other couple in there eating. The well appointed bar was equally devoid of life.
Our server was the bartender, and he was very friendly and offered prompt knowledgeable service and made good wine recommendations.
The food was very good. My wife's salmon was expertly presented. I had a nice carrot ginger soup followed by the prosciutto wrapped pork tenderloin and they subbed in black beans for me which was nice.
We hung out in the hot tub later on which was a good temperature and not at all foamy. NEVER ENTER A FOAMY HOT TUB! The foam is actually a high quotient of TDS: Total Dissolved Solids. I knew a pool guy, look it up. Foam is dissolved bodily fluids and oils. Everything. Avoid the urge to jump in a foamy hot tub to make merry wearing a foam Santa beard!
We slept great in our massive bed and the hotel was quiet. We all met for breakfast in the restaurant.
Breakfast. The morning staff is much different than the evening staff. We watch as out 20ish waitress flailed around correcting simple errors like where the toast? Did you hear my wife ask for milk for the tea? I'm still waiting for my hot sauce...oh I see one over there I'll get it... Could you separate the checks? One it's not right but...oh well we will work it out. She just didn't have it together at all. Likely green.
Basically all of the things I hated dealing with as a mediocre server, which is why I became a barman!
The food was good. I had breakfast poutine which was sinfully good, albeit a little cold: my gravy was still a bit congealed but I didn't feel like wasting another 20min getting it corrected.
All in all this is a great place to stay. I highly recommend looking for a deal online with the resort credit.
I would stay here again but would head out for breaky!

Room Tip: Get a second floor room as it's always best to be above other rooms than below!
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Outstanding staff, beautifully maintained grounds, and a lovely room with a fireplace. We had dinner at the restaurant twice, and enjoyed the well-presented food and conversation with the chef. Lodge on the Desert will definitely be my choice on our next trip to Tucson.

Room Tip: Our fireplace room was spacious and relaxing.
1  Thank CAROL M
Reviewed 31 January 2014

The property was beautiful, the courtyards were decorated nice with flowers everywhere. The pool was a decent size and the 2 waterfalls were a nice touch. The hot tub was great! Staff was friendly and the bar and restaurant on site were good. The room was large although scare decorations on the walls. If this was the end of my review I would've given it 5 stars.

The bad involved the fact that there is no sound proofing in this room. The windows in the room were thin glass and the bathroom didn't even have glass! It was a screen with metal blinds so no one could see in. In the morning we could hear people talking as they walked down the nearby paths. Also the maids cart was extremely loud as it came down the path. Worse yet was the construction going on behind our building but still on the property. Lumber hitting and people sawing is not the way I like to wake up.

If you are a heavy sleeper this hotel would be perfect.

1  Thank jamieandaida
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Bought a special on TravelZoo so had no idea what to expect. What a wonderful surprise. Our room was on the second floor in the back of the property. We had a great but small balcony with a view of the mountains. The room was larger than average with a wonderful gas fireplace. Enjoyed dinner at the restaurant on premise and the ambience and food were wonderful. Later we had great pleasure usung the jacuzzi, which we don't usually do, and just soaked in the surroundings. Great historical hotel which is well worth the visit.

Location is close to public golf if you are golfer. Not much to say about the golf course!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

From the beginning there were problems - The registration desk's computer had glitches which resulted in the front desk personnel having to start over with a different computer requiring my ID & credit card a 2nd time. The registration personnel could not determine the status of my room, if it was ready or still having "work" done on it. At one point a registration desk representative suggested giving me a different room but that was vetoed by a supervisor. When I finally arrived at the room I found holes in walls; dirty, peeling paint; windows that didn't close causing security, noise & cold draft issues; burned out light bulb. Overall disgust!
The pool, spa, restaurant and bar areas were nice. Regarding the rooms, there seems to be a huge difference between "historical" rooms, "renovated historical" rooms and the "new" section. If I had been staying more than one night, I would have requested to be moved to a recently renovated or new section room as I talked with other guests and realized the difference was huge. I have stayed in many historical properties and none as poorly kept as this one!

Room Tip: Request a recently renovated historical room or a room in the new section. Do not make a reservation...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Frank R, General Manager at Lodge on the Desert, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

I sincerely appreciate your choosing the Lodge on the desert and also apologize for the problems you encountered during your stay with us. Our hotel has consistently maintain our rooms, including the historical section of our hotel, to very high standards but unfortunately the specific room you were placed in was one of the rooms which was placed out of service to have those issues you noted corrected. Our desk clerks made an unfortunate mistake which was unacceptable. Our computer problems are rare and all hotels may suffer a minor glitch at some time. Why my Supervisor would not permit a change may have been due to the high occupancy and the fact that a number of our historical rooms were being renovated on that date and left only a few available and your specific room type may have also been a reason. I would like to offer you a gesture of our concern for your experience to assure you that this was unlike our typical guest experience as other review have shown.

Thank you again and I would look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Accommodating staff, beautiful views, charming property, clean rooms, simple decor, excellent restaurant, convenient location...
Will stay at the Lodge on the Desert again and again; it is my first choice.

Room Tip: The second floor of the north side of the hotel yields a beautiful view of the Catalinas.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family