“Great place to stay--a real gem!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #27 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Great place to stay--a real gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

My husband and I just spent 5 nights at the Lodge and had a great stay. I was hesitant about staying at a boutique hotel but with American Express recommendation and the fact that it is a STASH property we tried it. The property is really nice and has the feel of an apartment complex. It is very private and secure and best of all, very conveniently located to downtown, unlike the larger resort properties. The staff couldn't have been nicer. They have a nice restaurant but do not offer room service. They also have a lovely, cozy bar.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a king suite that have a separate living room, a table and a small refrigerator. It was v...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2014

Grounds are gorgeous and peaceful, with the ambiance of an old Pueblo. Restaurant food and service is outstanding. The room I had was a bit basic and could have used an upgrade in decor, but the bed was outstanding.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel in early February and enjoyed it very much. The food was excellent and tastefully presented. The staff, in our experience, were uniformly friendly and professional. More than anything else, the adobe-like Spanish style two-story casitas were roomy, comfortable, and rustically luxurious (even containing a gas fireplace). The grounds were lovely and interspersed around sinuous--and sometimes a bit narrow--pathways. This gave one the impression of being in a small village. We had a marvelous two night stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

Lodge on the Desert would not be my first choice if I was coming to Tucson, so you may wonder why I gave it 5 stars? The high rating is because it has a charm about it that you won't find in the more beautiful resorts up in the foothills. Even though it's not in a flashy part of town, the hotel goes out of it's way to provide good, friendly service in an attractive, clean facility. The resort has a big wall around it, and it's kind of like entering a fortress. The grounds are beautiful, and employees always acknowledge you and are friendly. I like the decor of the rooms, especially the tile, and the fact that some rooms have fireplaces. Two big minuses on the rooms: the walls are quite thin, and the hot water seems to take forever to heat up. (This was in January.)

Our last visit wasn't for the best of reasons: my dad's memorial service. However, the staff was very helpful and tolerant of our large group of friends and relatives. A waiter named Justin went out of his way to help calm a 15 month old member of our group who was quite fussy, and his efforts were very much appreciated. The hostess at the restaurant was also very helpful when we wanted to postpone our reservation a bit. The food there is quite pricey, but we all thought it was very good quality though. (Having a Travelzoo dining credit didn't hurt…)

I would certainly recommend this hotel if you want to be closer to the middle of the city, and if sweeping views aren't important to you. It has the unique feel of what older Tucson must have been like, and you will be happy with your stay here.

**Parking is free, Wi fi works well, and there is no resort fee.**

Room Tip: Second floor rooms eliminate the noise of people stomping above you, but there are no elevators. The...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

We booked for three nights but liked it so much that we added two additional nights for a total of 5. Our room was large with a big bath (separate walk-in shower and tub), big cozy robes, large screen T.V., excellent wi-fi, and free parking. We also got Travelzoo deal with $50 credit for our 3-night stay and used it for dinner at the restaurant each night. It was nice to be able to walk to dinner in the complex after a busy day of hiking or touring.

The restaurant and bar area are cozy and the food is good. There is a nice reading room with computer access. It was too chilly to use the pool but it's in a lovely setting.

We'd recommend this hotel and will return if we're in the area.

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

My wife and I were on a brief road trip to Tucson with another couple who were visiting from Canada. We found this hotel to be a great deal on travelzoo.com. We got 2 1-bedroom suites for $150 a night, including a $50 resort credit which could be applied on anything purchased on the room account.
The hotel is well located in Tucson near downtown and had good free parking. The lobby is nice with some common area rooms including a library/games type room. The pool is located in the central courtyard and is always available to quiet guests. There is also a hot tub.
The Room was HUGE! I have had smaller 1 bedroom apartments in Vancouver BC! It had a very nice gas fireplace in the living room, a 4 seat dining table, a counter and a small fridge. I will say this: given the huge amount of space they could have made this into more of an efficiency unit. The coffee maker was by the his/her sinks outside the massive bathroom which was en-suite to the gigantic bedroom with its king bed. There was ample room for a kitchenette but there was one actual plumbing in the main room. Also it was a little sparse on the decor; the walls were mainly bare and there could have been a stick or two more furniture, like a sideboard or entryway cabinet.
We had a "private" balcony, but as it was only 3 yards across from another room's "private" balcony, we didn't hang out in it. Our neighbors were out on theirs making out in the plush bathrobes that come with the room. Yuk.
The free wifi was fast!
We had a good dinner in the surprisingly empty restaurant; it was a Saturday night at 830pm and we were a table of 4 with only one other couple in there eating. The well appointed bar was equally devoid of life.
Our server was the bartender, and he was very friendly and offered prompt knowledgeable service and made good wine recommendations.
The food was very good. My wife's salmon was expertly presented. I had a nice carrot ginger soup followed by the prosciutto wrapped pork tenderloin and they subbed in black beans for me which was nice.
We hung out in the hot tub later on which was a good temperature and not at all foamy. NEVER ENTER A FOAMY HOT TUB! The foam is actually a high quotient of TDS: Total Dissolved Solids. I knew a pool guy, look it up. Foam is dissolved bodily fluids and oils. Everything. Avoid the urge to jump in a foamy hot tub to make merry wearing a foam Santa beard!
We slept great in our massive bed and the hotel was quiet. We all met for breakfast in the restaurant.
Breakfast. The morning staff is much different than the evening staff. We watch as out 20ish waitress flailed around correcting simple errors like where the toast? Did you hear my wife ask for milk for the tea? I'm still waiting for my hot sauce...oh I see one over there I'll get it... Could you separate the checks? One it's not right but...oh well we will work it out. She just didn't have it together at all. Likely green.
Basically all of the things I hated dealing with as a mediocre server, which is why I became a barman!
The food was good. I had breakfast poutine which was sinfully good, albeit a little cold: my gravy was still a bit congealed but I didn't feel like wasting another 20min getting it corrected.
All in all this is a great place to stay. I highly recommend looking for a deal online with the resort credit.
I would stay here again but would head out for breaky!

Room Tip: Get a second floor room as it's always best to be above other rooms than below!
OLYMPIA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2014

Outstanding staff, beautifully maintained grounds, and a lovely room with a fireplace. We had dinner at the restaurant twice, and enjoyed the well-presented food and conversation with the chef. Lodge on the Desert will definitely be my choice on our next trip to Tucson.

Room Tip: Our fireplace room was spacious and relaxing.
1 Thank CAROL M