“Very nice”

Ranked #23 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Ashland, Oregon
“Very nice”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Lodge on the Desert is a nice older resort. It is not very central to very much except perhaps the wonderful Botanical Garden, but it is ok to be 12-15 minutes from downtown Tucson. The restaurant is quite nice, and the pool and jacuzzi are great. I wish they had more extensive grounds -- some of the hotel backs up to a residential neighborhood. While they have very nice desert landscaping, some of the rooms are dark or have a view of dirt or a parking lot. We didn't have a car and the shuttle wasn't available when we needed it They hired a limo service instead for same price (and quite splendid, actually.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with mountain and garden views
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This place has beautiful well kept grounds, delicious in room coffee enough for 3 pots, and the room was impeccably clean..but there was an odd odor to it….which one gets used to after being in it for several minutes. They supply nice soaps and lotions as well as a hair dryer with several settings. The shower and bathtub were separate. The bed and pillows were comfortable. The reason my feelings are mixed are because of the staff. Upon our arrival I had to wait…no big deal as it was only one couple. What happened next really bothered me. Just as I was ready to step up to check in (and I had preregistered on line) the clerk received a call. Rather then putting the person on hold he proceeded to deal with them. It was not as if it was a short call either as the person on the other end appeared to want a room for specific dates and the clerk kept checking the computer trying to solve the callers problem. At one point I started to strum my fingers on the desk to let him know I was getting irritated. He finally finished and he did try to be nice and polite. By this time I was in no mood as I wanted to get to the room (also my husband had been waiting in the car wondering why it took so long) so I kept my conversation to brief replies. I was given the keys and directions and left. The room I now suspect from other reviews I have read is in an older part of the complex. Our room, #205, faced busy Alvernon and so I needed earplugs to sleep. After dropping off our stuff we went to the bar for Happy Hour. The person at the desk (podium) was on the phone (what is it with the phones?) nodded to us to just take a place where ever we would like. The Bartender, Thomas, was awesome! He seemed to be doing all the work. At one point we heard him request to the person on the phone to pick up a cheese platter for some customers who had ordered it. The man left but never returned and Thomas left to get it himself. This left no one in the bar which seems a liability to me. While we were there we noticed him taking and filling orders, bussing tables, prepping fruit for future needs,and he even found the time to help us choose a place to dine with our friends that night with the help of a staff member, Mercedes, who came on to duty about an hour after we got there.
The check out staff was quite the opposite of that checking in. They could not have been more polite or helpful. Had I rated this place immediately, my initial reaction was a 2 or 3 but in perspective I am giving it a 4. There is room for improvement but it wasn't all bad.

Room Tip: Try to get a garden facing room with a balcony
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunsets4life
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My husband and I just spent 5 nights at the Lodge and had a great stay. I was hesitant about staying at a boutique hotel but with American Express recommendation and the fact that it is a STASH property we tried it. The property is really nice and has the feel of an apartment complex. It is very private and secure and best of all, very conveniently located to downtown, unlike the larger resort properties. The staff couldn't have been nicer. They have a nice restaurant but do not offer room service. They also have a lovely, cozy bar.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a king suite that have a separate living room, a table and a small refrigerator. It was v...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Grounds are gorgeous and peaceful, with the ambiance of an old Pueblo. Restaurant food and service is outstanding. The room I had was a bit basic and could have used an upgrade in decor, but the bed was outstanding.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel in early February and enjoyed it very much. The food was excellent and tastefully presented. The staff, in our experience, were uniformly friendly and professional. More than anything else, the adobe-like Spanish style two-story casitas were roomy, comfortable, and rustically luxurious (even containing a gas fireplace). The grounds were lovely and interspersed around sinuous--and sometimes a bit narrow--pathways. This gave one the impression of being in a small village. We had a marvelous two night stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Lodge on the Desert would not be my first choice if I was coming to Tucson, so you may wonder why I gave it 5 stars? The high rating is because it has a charm about it that you won't find in the more beautiful resorts up in the foothills. Even though it's not in a flashy part of town, the hotel goes out of it's way to provide good, friendly service in an attractive, clean facility. The resort has a big wall around it, and it's kind of like entering a fortress. The grounds are beautiful, and employees always acknowledge you and are friendly. I like the decor of the rooms, especially the tile, and the fact that some rooms have fireplaces. Two big minuses on the rooms: the walls are quite thin, and the hot water seems to take forever to heat up. (This was in January.)

Our last visit wasn't for the best of reasons: my dad's memorial service. However, the staff was very helpful and tolerant of our large group of friends and relatives. A waiter named Justin went out of his way to help calm a 15 month old member of our group who was quite fussy, and his efforts were very much appreciated. The hostess at the restaurant was also very helpful when we wanted to postpone our reservation a bit. The food there is quite pricey, but we all thought it was very good quality though. (Having a Travelzoo dining credit didn't hurt…)

I would certainly recommend this hotel if you want to be closer to the middle of the city, and if sweeping views aren't important to you. It has the unique feel of what older Tucson must have been like, and you will be happy with your stay here.

**Parking is free, Wi fi works well, and there is no resort fee.**

Room Tip: Second floor rooms eliminate the noise of people stomping above you, but there are no elevators. The...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Georgia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We booked for three nights but liked it so much that we added two additional nights for a total of 5. Our room was large with a big bath (separate walk-in shower and tub), big cozy robes, large screen T.V., excellent wi-fi, and free parking. We also got Travelzoo deal with $50 credit for our 3-night stay and used it for dinner at the restaurant each night. It was nice to be able to walk to dinner in the complex after a busy day of hiking or touring.

The restaurant and bar area are cozy and the food is good. There is a nice reading room with computer access. It was too chilly to use the pool but it's in a lovely setting.

We'd recommend this hotel and will return if we're in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple