“Not as nice as expected. The visit was wrought with problems.”

Lodge on the Desert
Ranked #19 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Stayed in room 142 which is incredibly dark and gloomy. The room's door and windows open onto an interior breezeway so it's like being in a cave. Our stay was on a holiday weekend so another room wasn't possible. My gut feeling is this room is the last one given out as it doesn't seem consistent with other's positive reviews. It certainly didn't present itself as a room in a higher end hotel.

A door to the maintenance room adjacent to the room had big chunks taken out of the wood. It was incredibly unsightly in a hotel where rooms run close to $300. The shower door is cracked, the bathroom door needs a paint job and the vanity looked like something out of a flophouse. Scratches and gouges mar the surface. The bathroom even smells musty.

On the plus side, the beds are really comfortable.

The room's key was problematic - it took four tries to get operating keycards. Several times a hotel employee came to the room pronouncing the card was working. The problem is they were working off statistical averages because the employees would have to constantly reinsert the key card until the green light showed. The bathroom sink also didn't drain.

It should also be noted that the staff in the bar/restaurant was also below par. After waiting 10 minutes I went over to the bar to order drinks. The hostess was blankly staring into space and we were in direct line of sight. When asked if we could move to an outdoor table, she gave a snippy answer stating they were busy. The food was great, but the indifferent service marred what should have been a great experience.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 142 unless you embrace a goth lifestyle, or your last name is Lugosi.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Eric C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,017)

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Having stayed at The Lodge on the Desert several times in the past, we were excited to have the opportunity to return for our recent visit to Tucson. Unfortunately we were somewhat disappointed. Having not stayed here since the remodel, we did like the new look of the property. Very pretty bounds. However our trip started out rough before we even arrived. A call the week before our visit notified us the room we booked would not be available due to a water leak. The room we ended up in turned out to be cramped for our family of three. It had a king bed and needed a roll-away cot for our son. This left little room to move around. Other than a space issue, the only other problem with the room was no area for my wife to apply her make-up. The bathroom counter was too deep for her to comfortably use and the only other mirror was not lit well enough to use for this purpose. The room WAS nicely appointed, clean and the bed was comfortable. We loved the fireplace!
Another problem was the prices at the restaurant. I know this is a nice resort-style hotel but two eggs and toast for $9? Yes, I even asked if that was correct. $9 for only 2 eggs and toast. We didn't return to the restaurant.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 February 2014

Lodge on the Desert is a nice older resort. It is not very central to very much except perhaps the wonderful Botanical Garden, but it is ok to be 12-15 minutes from downtown Tucson. The restaurant is quite nice, and the pool and jacuzzi are great. I wish they had more extensive grounds -- some of the hotel backs up to a residential neighborhood. While they have very nice desert landscaping, some of the rooms are dark or have a view of dirt or a parking lot. We didn't have a car and the shuttle wasn't available when we needed it They hired a limo service instead for same price (and quite splendid, actually.)

Room Tip: Ask for a room with mountain and garden views
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 February 2014

This place has beautiful well kept grounds, delicious in room coffee enough for 3 pots, and the room was impeccably clean..but there was an odd odor to it….which one gets used to after being in it for several minutes. They supply nice soaps and lotions as well as a hair dryer with several settings. The shower and bathtub were separate. The bed and pillows were comfortable. The reason my feelings are mixed are because of the staff. Upon our arrival I had to wait…no big deal as it was only one couple. What happened next really bothered me. Just as I was ready to step up to check in (and I had preregistered on line) the clerk received a call. Rather then putting the person on hold he proceeded to deal with them. It was not as if it was a short call either as the person on the other end appeared to want a room for specific dates and the clerk kept checking the computer trying to solve the callers problem. At one point I started to strum my fingers on the desk to let him know I was getting irritated. He finally finished and he did try to be nice and polite. By this time I was in no mood as I wanted to get to the room (also my husband had been waiting in the car wondering why it took so long) so I kept my conversation to brief replies. I was given the keys and directions and left. The room I now suspect from other reviews I have read is in an older part of the complex. Our room, #205, faced busy Alvernon and so I needed earplugs to sleep. After dropping off our stuff we went to the bar for Happy Hour. The person at the desk (podium) was on the phone (what is it with the phones?) nodded to us to just take a place where ever we would like. The Bartender, Thomas, was awesome! He seemed to be doing all the work. At one point we heard him request to the person on the phone to pick up a cheese platter for some customers who had ordered it. The man left but never returned and Thomas left to get it himself. This left no one in the bar which seems a liability to me. While we were there we noticed him taking and filling orders, bussing tables, prepping fruit for future needs,and he even found the time to help us choose a place to dine with our friends that night with the help of a staff member, Mercedes, who came on to duty about an hour after we got there.
The check out staff was quite the opposite of that checking in. They could not have been more polite or helpful. Had I rated this place immediately, my initial reaction was a 2 or 3 but in perspective I am giving it a 4. There is room for improvement but it wasn't all bad.

Room Tip: Try to get a garden facing room with a balcony
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sunsets4life
Reviewed 10 February 2014

My husband and I just spent 5 nights at the Lodge and had a great stay. I was hesitant about staying at a boutique hotel but with American Express recommendation and the fact that it is a STASH property we tried it. The property is really nice and has the feel of an apartment complex. It is very private and secure and best of all, very conveniently located to downtown, unlike the larger resort properties. The staff couldn't have been nicer. They have a nice restaurant but do not offer room service. They also have a lovely, cozy bar.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a king suite that have a separate living room, a table and a small refrigerator. It was v...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2014

Grounds are gorgeous and peaceful, with the ambiance of an old Pueblo. Restaurant food and service is outstanding. The room I had was a bit basic and could have used an upgrade in decor, but the bed was outstanding.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We stayed at this hotel in early February and enjoyed it very much. The food was excellent and tastefully presented. The staff, in our experience, were uniformly friendly and professional. More than anything else, the adobe-like Spanish style two-story casitas were roomy, comfortable, and rustically luxurious (even containing a gas fireplace). The grounds were lovely and interspersed around sinuous--and sometimes a bit narrow--pathways. This gave one the impression of being in a small village. We had a marvelous two night stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family