“Clean rooms but need to be updated.”

Viscount Suite Hotel
Ranked #76 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
Erie, Colorado
“Clean rooms but need to be updated.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel staff was very friendly and the location is ok in mid town Tucson. The suite was clean but needed to be updated. It had tube TVs! If you just need a place to sleep than its fine but I would not want to hang out there. I did not see or use the pool so I can't comment on that.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I assume the people that rated this hotel highly have a VERY low bar. I typically stay at Hampton Inn, but when I come to Tucson, I'm asked to stay at Viscount, so I do. I've stayed here 4-5 times.

This hotel is passable for a few days, but I had to stay here for a week this time and all the small things that are wrong with this hotel really started to grate on my nerves.

The whole property on the inside is teal and mauve. Straight from 1985. The wifi is weak and doesn't even work when you're in the bedroom. Most rooms have old tube TVs. They don't have satellite or cable, nope, they've got Lodgenet - again, straight from the 80s. VERY crappy selection and no HD to be found. This hotel also does not have air conditioning. They have swamp coolers. If you want your room cooler, you have to call maintenance to come and tweak the pipes. I doubt it works during the monsoon.

The proverbial "upgraded" third floor is also not really as advertised. They put in heavy, dark, large ultra modern furniture and replaced the tiny tube TV with a flat panel in the living room, but that is all. The bedroom still has a tube tv and they are still saddled with that horrible Lodgenet. So, no much of an upgrade if you ask me. The rest of the "amenities" are still below standard.

The breakfast is very good, I'll give them that. The omelet station is great! But, again, the 80s are still present with the weak, cheap coffee and off brand teas.

The one saving grace of this place is room service, but sadly, Wilbur's doesn't have much of a menu and the food is really not that good. It's bland and generally poorly executed.

For $100 a night, I think I'll stick with Hampton. The Viscount seems to cater to Mexican shoppers and I think that's why the hotel has not invested in a total overhaul. It's quite swank compared to the Mexican accommodations I had while traveling there.

Room Tip: If you do stay at the Viscount, go ahead and get the "upgraded" third floor.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank misangela
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We had been looking forward to enjoying a suite for one night.

The suite was spacious and we enjoyed having a front room with a flat screen TV, couch and chairs; a door between the middle area - bathroom, clothes hanging area and luggage rack (this area was not lit at all), fridge, microwave, safe, Keurig coffee maker, and then the room with 2 beds, a regular (old fashioned) TV, and a view of the Catalina Mountains.
Unfortunately, with a full house of college aged athletes, internet access was lousy. There was no connection in the bedroom. If my partner sat next to the front door, he had spotty access. It wasn't what he wanted/needed. He had to talk to three front desk clerks before one finally admitted that they didn't have a good enough setup for internet service in a 215 plus room hotel; and there was nothing to be done about the spotty internet access.
With so many athletes at the pool, we avoided it. It was a small area for a lot of bodies!
The bed was softer than what I prefer, and the towels were small and thin. I've had better bedding and towels in chain hotels. I was expecting more in a private suite hotel!
Breakfast was in the dining atrium area with lots of room to spread out. There was an omelette and waffle cook(s); and hot food as well.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We brought a group in over the past weekend and everyone was happy with their accommodations! (And I'm talking around 40 rooms!) We liked the renovations done on the rooms since we last stayed. The staff was very friendly and helped to make the experience a great one! Stay here is you want a very nice room, an awesome breakfast buffet and an overall fantastic experience!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Castaic, California
Reviewed 3 April 2014

My family & I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The exterior is nice & clean. Security guard patrols the grounds at night. The lobby area is very nice. I was glad to have read the reviews from past guests that suggested to stay only on the 3rd floor, as it is the only floor that is remodeled. I confirmed that with the front desk prior to our arrival. They were very accommodating when I requested that we be given a room on the 3rd floor. The breakfast is great! The only negative would be that it's only available until 9:30. When on vacation the last thing you want to do is wake up early! My brother stayed at a nearby hotel & they served free breakfast until 10:30! The room is very spacious! Loved that it had 2 tv's! My husband & I got to watch what we wanted, while the kids sat in the living room area to watch what they liked. That's a big plus! The beds are very comfortable. I really liked that it had a fridge, microwave & Keurig coffee maker! The only negative thing I could say about the room is that the tub is old & rusty! They did not remodel that. It was a bit disgusting because it just looked dirty, nothing like the rest of the room. Overall, our stay was comfortable & the staff was very friendly & helpful. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed April 2014
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The rooms in this hotel are suites with plenty of room to relax and enjoy your visit. The king size bed we had was very comfortable and the room was very clean. A full buffet breakfast is included in the price of the room and it was great. The swimming pool is very nice with plenty of seating to soak up the Arizona sun.

Room Tip: This hotel has an open atrium and the breakfast is served there---rooms facing the atrium can hear t...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Burleson, Texas
Reviewed 24 March 2014

This hotel was filthy and dark! Visible mold in our bathroom and air vents. Smelled horrible - musty, mildew, mold! Wall art and furnishings were easily from 1980s. Desperately in need of professional cleaning and updating! Do yourself a favor and find a different hotel in the area. A cheap hotel isn't worth exposing your family to mold.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Car0le_176
tcesare, General Manager at Viscount Suite Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. There were several areas we felt short of our goal. I sincerely hope you will give us another chance the next time your travels bring you back to Tucson; as the mishaps you experienced are not typical of the service and product that we strive to deliver to our valued guests. If there is anything I can do for you in the future, please contact me directly and we will be sure you are in one of our remodeled suites.

Larry Cesare
520-584-5804

Travellers are raving about these Tucson hotels