“Nice Find & Price!”

Viscount Suite Hotel
Ranked #80 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Another GREAT Groupon Deal! Hotel was nice, needs some updating but room was HUGE - 2 beds, large bath & counter area + full front sitting room w/loveseat, chairs, desk & 2nd TV. Breakfast buffet was another added bonus - GREAT Value & Clean if a bit outdated décor.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sally G
There are newer reviews for Viscount Suite Hotel

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Our requirements for a good place to stay after long days in meetings are good bedding, good in-room coffee, and enough room to work. To that end, this hotel is very good. Though the decor throughout has not been updated since I'd say 1990 (polished brass everywhere, burgundy/forest green color scheme) they make up for a dated look with Keurig coffee in the rooms and high quality bedding. I usually can't even choke down the awful 4-cup coffee packets found in hotel rooms, so this was a much-appreciated touch. Plenty of good quality toiletries, too. I also really like having the front room with plenty of space to do after-meeting paperwork (though if they're going to invest in the coffee machines and bedding, maybe something better/bigger than a 14-inch screen TV).

Pro: bedding, coffee, living room, hot breakfast (very tasty, plenty of it, friendly staff). Nice pool/jacuzzi area. Very nicely quiet--no stomping around or partiers late at night. Wilbur's had decent food on the one night we ate at the hotel (friendly server).

Con: doors/keys finicky (only occasionally worked to get into the elevator from the lobby, so we took the stairs 90% of the time. We parked near the outside stairs nearest our room, but that outer door hardly ever worked. When we told the front desk, the agent there replied cheerily, "Oh, yes, that door doesn't really work." Then fix it or put up a sign!) Long wait at check-in, even with only one person ahead of us (only one clerk working). Rust spots in the shower, and on our first night I found a pretzel, left by a previous guest I assume, next to the couch. I left it there to see if it would be found--still there by our fourth day.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank rlynnprince
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

We moved from another unsatisfactory hotel to here and were SO glad we did! We had 2 rooms for our family of 5 & we stayed 5 nights. We stayed on the 3rd floor which was newly renovated. Everything was really nice....especially the comfy beds! The suites we were in have a separate bedroom from the sitting room which is great if you have company. The only thing I didn't like was having to have a room card to use the elevators to go up and ESPECIALLY didn't like having to use it to get back inside the hotel from the pool! Buffet breakfast was good. No complaints other than the excessive use of our room cards. We are definitely looking forward to our next stay here!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Our air conditioner at our house died last week and we needed someplace cool for the night. We have had lunch here in the past and it is close to our house and office so we called. AL got us a room near the pool was just a great person. Very friendly staff. Only suggestion is to upgrade the TVs from the old CRTs.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve B
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The hotel overall was excellent. The place was very clean and the staff was friendly. However, the rooms and the main floor bathroom was a bit out dated. It could use some minor repairs/updating. But overall my family and I had a GREAT trip. We had a special request and the staff was great and accommodating. The spacious rooms with the additional living area was wonderful to allow kids some extra leg room and for the night owls to watch some late TV!! Oh and the breakfast truly is the best in town!! Every morning we were anxious for breakfast because we knew that it would be SO good-fresh home made waffles, bacon, hot coffee, etc. It was in an excellent location. Since we went for a graduation everything was close by, the University, the graduation location, shopping, and restaurants. My family was pleased with the choice of hotel.

Room Tip: Higher floors seemed to be a bit more updated (flat screen TV)
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Isela D
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The hotel staff was very friendly and the location is ok in mid town Tucson. The suite was clean but needed to be updated. It had tube TVs! If you just need a place to sleep than its fine but I would not want to hang out there. I did not see or use the pool so I can't comment on that.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I assume the people that rated this hotel highly have a VERY low bar. I typically stay at Hampton Inn, but when I come to Tucson, I'm asked to stay at Viscount, so I do. I've stayed here 4-5 times.

This hotel is passable for a few days, but I had to stay here for a week this time and all the small things that are wrong with this hotel really started to grate on my nerves.

The whole property on the inside is teal and mauve. Straight from 1985. The wifi is weak and doesn't even work when you're in the bedroom. Most rooms have old tube TVs. They don't have satellite or cable, nope, they've got Lodgenet - again, straight from the 80s. VERY crappy selection and no HD to be found. This hotel also does not have air conditioning. They have swamp coolers. If you want your room cooler, you have to call maintenance to come and tweak the pipes. I doubt it works during the monsoon.

The proverbial "upgraded" third floor is also not really as advertised. They put in heavy, dark, large ultra modern furniture and replaced the tiny tube TV with a flat panel in the living room, but that is all. The bedroom still has a tube tv and they are still saddled with that horrible Lodgenet. So, no much of an upgrade if you ask me. The rest of the "amenities" are still below standard.

The breakfast is very good, I'll give them that. The omelet station is great! But, again, the 80s are still present with the weak, cheap coffee and off brand teas.

The one saving grace of this place is room service, but sadly, Wilbur's doesn't have much of a menu and the food is really not that good. It's bland and generally poorly executed.

For $100 a night, I think I'll stick with Hampton. The Viscount seems to cater to Mexican shoppers and I think that's why the hotel has not invested in a total overhaul. It's quite swank compared to the Mexican accommodations I had while traveling there.

Room Tip: If you do stay at the Viscount, go ahead and get the "upgraded" third floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business