“Locally owned, great staff! I'll come back!”

Viscount Suite Hotel
Ranked #74 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Tacoma, WA
“Locally owned, great staff! I'll come back!”
Reviewed 11 March 2010

My boyfriend's band tours quite often and stays in many hotels. I sometimes accompany them, and travel often myself. I usually make the hotel reservations for everyone; in this case I was also staying in Tucson. When I book for myself, I usually stay with Marriott brands for consistency; however the band did not want to spend that much money, so I had to do some looking.

I searched the web, and found a really good deal, so I booked two rooms online (one with two double beds and the other with a king bed) with the hotel on extremely short notice, and comfortable beds and a hot tub were required. :)

Upon arrival, I was really pleased with the exterior and grounds of the hotel. The surrounding area is pretty good, and there are a couple dining options within walking distance. Upon entering the hotel, the pictures on the website are exactly what you see when you walk in. The friendliness of the staff was genuine and so opposite of what I experienced at a nearby Hilton a few days earlier; a truly pleasant surprise.

We slogged our luggage up to the 4th floor to our rooms, and opened them. Wow, we were pretty surprised. I hadn't read these were suites. We could've really just booked the one room, but I had gotten such an awesome deal that we were still exceptionally pleased. Our rooms were not pictured on the website, but from speaking with staff, the 4th floor is the "discount" floor, so is the oldest as far as remodel goes. It didn't bother us in the least.

The fridge works well, the heater (yes, we used a heater in Arizona) works, as does the A/C (which I tried just to try it). The windows open. The bathroom is furnished with a marble counter, in addition to another marble vanity slab in between the two rooms. The little shampoo/conditioner/etc sets were amply sized and actually easily enough product for two people without skimping. Towels are fluffy and nice. The lighting is ample throughout the rooms. The couch does pull out into another bed (which I did not sleep on), but the couch itself was plenty big and comfortable. The coffee maker is cool, with a disposable brew basket...a little hard to navigate the first time you use it, especially when you need coffee.

The king size bed was very nice and comfortable, the pillows fluffy but not too much. I have a bad back and this bed was very pleasant to sleep on. The sheets are soft and nice too.

My friend's son accidentally spilled chip crumbs on the floor. We called the front desk to request a vacuum cleaner and within five minutes a cheerful lady arrived who quickly fixed out floor. Fastest housekeeping call I have ever seen.

The Viscount Suites has a restaurant and a bar, we went to the bar for dinner and the prices are the same in-bar as for room-service. Five of us ordered food of various types and it was all a good value and tasty. No complaints! The staff at Wilbur's is also exceptionally nice and friendly, which we all appreciated. We sat inside the bar, but you could sit outside in the atrium area, get the same service and listen or watch the big fountain in the area. Service was prompt; our food was hot and done correctly. My pasta was the most expensive thing on the menu (I believe) at $14. You might balk at that price, but it DOES has a ton of kalamata olives, artichoke hearts and shrimp...not the tiny bay shrimp either, these are prawns. Delicious and a lot of food, I took half back to my room. The GM came to sit with us at dinner and we all talked for quite some time.

Having forgotten both room keys, I did the walk of shame to the front desk to get a new one. They provided them with a smile. The new keys and the old keys would all work for my room! I've never had that happen.

In the morning, we all opted for the breakfast buffet, which is only $7 per person, but closes at 0930. This is served on the first floor atrium. Again, the staff was really friendly. Now, having been to lots of hotels offering breakfast of various types, we were a most pleased when we saw the buffet. There was a hot line with eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, etc. All of it was actually hot and there was plenty of it. Obviously a cold line with fruits and such was available. The best part of the buffet? They have an omelet bar and will also make you waffles and pancakes to order. They used real eggs for the omelets, not the preblended mess you usually see. One member of our party really loves syrup and his request for "a bunch of syrup" was met with a smile and he was handed a coffee cup full of it. I am not kidding. The omelet bar gentlemen were just that, and they do a fine job. The wait staff was prompt with clearing dishes and refilling coffee cups and creamer.

Checkout was seamless and done with a smile.

This is a nice place, and way cheaper than your local Hilton, Marriott or Sheraton. It has all the three star amenities too. Our floor was not as updated as the lower three and it didn't bother me one bit. The Viscount Suites are a great value, especially if you choose surf the web a bit and book online. Big rooms, great for relaxing, and big enough that one room could accommodate a group of four very easily. Incidentally, this is a locally owned establishment too.

I'll be back.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank Morrigan_Aria

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Boston
Reviewed 12 January 2010

No real complaints. Last minute change of plans brought us to Tucson and I got an excellent priceline deal. Room was huge, could have slept 15 people in there I think. Everything was fine but it just has a bit of a dowdy feel to it. Was very tempted by the $7 buffet but we wanted to try places around town. Quick zip down the road to downtown. Someone was using one of the computers for unseemly browsing ha ha, but not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 3 January 2010

I can tell they are trying make the experience here nice--with the atrium and stringed lights with glass elevators. The check in folks are very professional and courteous as well. The beds are very comfortable--a pleasant surprise and a good choice for a limited amount of money to budget for upgrades. The rooms themselves are quite dated though, with interior decor that smacks of the 80's. The carpets are quite dirty that need to be replaced. The upgrades needed to make this an excellent hotel will cost millions, the question is--is it worth the investment?

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family
Socal
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Enjoyed this hotel and chose it because of great rate and other good reviews on Trip Adviser. Friendly staff. Nice, comfortable decor. Looks like it used to be an Embassy Suites. Comfortable, clean, and quiet. $102 for a suite was hard to beat when other comparable hotels were $160+ for a non-suite. I like that it is locally owned and operated.

Appears to be about 1/2 way between downtown and the airport.

The breakfast buffet was $7. Mixed results there. Scrambled eggs and biscuits were not very good, but bacon, fruit, donut holes, and coffee were excellent. I did not try the made-to-order omellete station, although my family no doubt would have had they been with me. I have to think that would have been good.

Ice machine on the first floor near the front desk was MIA, and the machine on the 2nd floor was on its last leg, so that was my only complaint.

I would definitely stay here again if I am ever in Tuscon, assuming the rate is near market rate, and this was way below, so it was a no-brainer.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
Kent, England .UK
Reviewed 21 October 2009

The hotel provided 5 star service in all areas from wait staff to management. The suite was roomy ,modern , very clean & comfortable. With a separate area for a microwave & refrigerator, plus sitting room, bedroom ( very comfortable spotless bed) & bathroom. Access to the lifts were convenient. Room service very quickly delivered.
Location central to Tucson amenaties, on the local bus route. The hotel has a superior car service available, Car rental, bank machine & gift shop along with restaurants are available on the premises. Also close to local shops, golf & parks.
Absolutely no complaints, Everything was excellent.
in the process of arranging my next stay there in the New Year.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
New York
Reviewed 29 August 2009

Just stayed at the Viscount for Business. Very nice place. Rooms were just refurbished. Very comfortable. Microwave, refrig, living room with wireless internet. Bed very comfortable. Worked out everyday-treadmills, weights etc were in good shape. Several pieces were brand new. Breakfast was somewhat cold-several choices but there was an eggs/om/waffle chef that made it to order. People very friendly. About 15 minutes off of I-10. Several places to eat close by. Swimming pool very dirty but it was 105 or so every day so would not use it anyway....

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Tucson, AZ
Reviewed 25 August 2009

The suite were nice and large. The room has a minifridge. Breakfast buffet was good at $7.00. The staff was friendly. I arrived there early one morning after a very exhausting 27-hour flight. After finally getting myself oriented, I noticed that the carpet in my room needed a serious cleaning. When I checked out I searched the room including under the bed and sofas to see if I left anything behind. There were sunflower seeds and peanuts under the sofa. I guess housekeeping doesn't bother to clean under the sofas when people move out. Also, there were unattended children playing on the luggage carts. They were getting on the elevator and going around each floor on the carts then going to the next floor doing the same thing.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business