“Very satisfied with Marriott for our U of A visit”

Tucson University Park Hotel
Ranked #32 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 21 April 2011

We stayed just one night for our tour of the university and were very satisfied with the Marriott's service, the comfortable room and bed, and it's excellent location for this trip.

The valet gave us great information on where to go to dinner nearby and what to see near the university. The hotel staff was friendly and are obvious fans of the school.

It was convenient to be so close to the U of A and within walking distance of food and shopping. Being this close really gave my daughter a great feel for on and off campus life and activities.

Breakfas buffet was good.

If my daughter goes to this school I will definitely stay at the Marriott for my visit. We booked directly through Marriott and got a good rate.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
TucsonMarriott, Director of Sales at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2011

Thank you for the review and we are so glad you enjoyed our location and service levels. We definitely are huge fans of the University of Arizona and all this great area have to offer. As you experienced situated at the main gate of The University of Arizona, the Tucson Marriott University Park is the ideal hotel if you're staying in Tucson for business or pleasure. Just steps from the front door is Tucson's most vibrant social and cultural neighborhood: over 30 restaurants, shopping, touring Broadway shows, and 4 museums (perfect for the off-site events without the transportation cost). We hope your daughter selects UofA and we will welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 18 April 2011

I only stayed here for 24 hours but the hotel well exceeded my expectations. Marriott is obviously a quality brand but this property exceeds the standard (from my experience). The staff was very friendly and professional, the valets are really quick to retrieve your call and very professional (even with a tiny driveway in a busy University), the front desk staff is very pleasant, and my room service waiter was great. The rooms are really nice and clean, well appointed. The atrium design is obviously older but the everything is renovated and it was still very quiet at night.

The truth is this hotel could still do very well with sub-par service and rooms since it's location is unbeatable for U of A business, however they do not rest on that and make the effort to provide a great product and great service.

My room was a little pricey but that's because I booked fairly last minute, and the location was worth the premium. If you have U of A business (or pleasure), this property really can't be beat.

Room Tip: Free garage parking on Sat/Sun
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for the kind words about our team here at the Tucson Marriott University Park. It is also great to read that during such a short stay with us you experienced our level of service that brings guests back time and time again. Next time we hope you stay a little longer and experience Main Gate Square in more depth, just steps from the front door is Tucson's most vibrant social and cultural neighborhood: over 30 restaurants, shopping, touring Broadway shows, and 4 museums.

Reviewed 20 March 2011

Our stay was fantastic!!! My buddy and I stayed 2 nights at this property for March Madness and the room was well appointed with great linens. The staff was very considerate and the manager on duty (Otha) saw to it that our cab picked up our luggage from the hotel and met us across from the McKale Center after a double overtime game so we could make our flight which left 45 minutes thereafter. Otha had said hello to us that morning and while asking us about our stay, devised this plan for us to make our flight. This was truly unbelievable and over-the-top service. The staff truly believes in guest satisfaction and does whatever it takes to deliver it!!!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
TucsonMarriott, Director of Sales at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2011

Thank you for taking time to share your recent experience. What an amazing story about how Otha exceeded your expectations. I shared your post with our management team at our morning meeting and will be sure to thank Otha as well. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Marriott University Park Tucson! At your service, Ryan

Reviewed 17 March 2011

We stayed just one night while touring U of A. The hotel location is ideal if you are visiting the university, adjacent to the campus and centrally located within walking distance of several good shopping and restaurant options.
The front desk staff was less than knowledgeable when it came to anything having to do with the university. I would think it would be beneficial for them to at least be able to direct guests to the main administration building. I suggest bringing a map in advance if you aren't familiar with the campus.
Upon checking in I was charged for parking and then the next morning when I went to get
my car I was charged again by a U of A lot attendant. It turns out that the lot adjacent to the
hotel is owned and operated by the university and not the hotel. I did tell the front desk
where I had parked when I was checking in and they never mentioned that the lot was not
their lot and proceeded to charge me for overnight parking.
The breakfast was mediocre and the service was well, not so great. I had to get up from the
table to track down our waitress so I could get the glass of orange juice I had ordered 20
minutes prior.
Lastly, with tax and parking our stay was just shy of $300. So overall we paid a lot and got
very little. If the location wasn't so convenient I'd suggest staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Ksma23
Reviewed 17 March 2011

I think my experience was great! My wife and I enjoyed my stay and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. The location and the amenities were great and the staff was great! I would especially like to complement Otha Taylor for his kindness he was absolutely great!!!!!!! The location provide non-stop activities with the location. I loved everything about the hotel and the people that are here are fabulous! I have no complaints and look forward to coming again!!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 March 2011

I checked in tonight and had two potentially high stress moments that the desk staff solved quickly and efficiently. We arrived late on a highly booked evening and it looked like we might not be able to get the room we needed ( accessible.). The front desk went above and beyond to get us a suite with enough room for a motorized wheelchair. While settling the room issue, I left my iPad on the front desk and another guest mistakenly took it. Again the staff took care of the situation quickly and recovered it! Really impressed!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 March 2011

The purpose of my stay was to coordinate a business workshop. All aspects of the preperations needed was done professionally. From the people working the guest registration area to A/V managers, supervisors and the Executive Meeting Manager, their performance was very professional and made our workshop a hugh success.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business