“In The Middle Of It All!”

Tucson University Park Hotel
Ranked #45 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Phoenix, Arizona
“In The Middle Of It All!”
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed at the Marriott University Park during the summer on a short weekend trip. It is located right next to UA. The hotel is not new but it is very clean, the rooms are extremely roomy and well kept. It is what I expect from a Marriott property. It did not blow me away, but it is not advertised as a luxury hotel. The staff is friendly and does a great job, from the reception to the bar. And the rate per night is very reasonable. Overall, I was very satisfied with this hotel and would definitely stay there again on my next trip to Tucson. All of the restaurants, bars and everything else is a short walk away. I only took one cab during my whole stay. It is definitely the right place to stay if you want to visit this part of Tucson.

Room Tip: Well, it is a habit of mine to ask for the top floor.
Green Features: For a few days stay I would not ask for my room to be cleaned or have towels replaced.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our property. I appreciate that you found the hotel clean and the staff was friendly and I will pass your comments along to the staff. We hope you have a great holiday season and that we have an opportunity to serve you again very soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Missouri City, Texas
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My wife and I stayed at this hotel while visiting our son who is stationed in Tucson, Arizona at the Air Force base there. As we have 6 or 7 times before in the past couple years. The staff was kind and courteous as always from the second we walked in the door. We arrived late in the evening and were exhausted by the time we arrived. The front dest attendant was fast and efficient as it was clear we were anxious to set our bags down and rest. Every person we came in contact with smiled and acknowledged us. You would swear not a single person was having a bad week (which we all know is impossible). We stayed here for 3 days. Meeting our son down in the restaurant for breakfast every morning. We luckily had the same waitress all three days, her name escapes me now but a young little blond girl. Every morning she was bright and courteous and really was a pleasure to interact with first thing in the morning. Like I previously stated my wife and I have stayed here many times and our restaurant experience was never as pleasant as this one. The buffet was delicious the waitress was attentive but not over bearing. I am very pleased with our experience. It appears things are turning around for this restaurant. I hope to see some familiar faces when we return in May.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Geneva J
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We really appreciate the kind words regarding our staff. We also appreciate your son's service to our country. Looking forward to serving you again on your next visit to Tucson!
Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The hotel was OK - great location, friendly staff. However, a pair of gold earrings was stolen from my room (from a zipped bag inside my makeup bag in the bathroom). The management was able to track who had been in the room - only the housekeeper. She denied taking the earrings, so the hotel manager told me all they could do was file an insurance claim. When I asked whether there was any way to get my earrings (a much-loved anniversary gift from my husband) back or if there would be any consequences for the thief, I was told that the hotel trusted its staff and it was "my word against hers." In other words, somebody is still working in that hotel going through personal belongings. The room wasn't even that clean - the ice bucket wasn't emptied and the floor wasn't vacuumed during the three days I was there.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Jendenva
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
I certainly understand how upsetting it can be to have a personal item come up missing. After investigating the matter the only person who was in your room was the Housekeeper who has been employed at the hotel for several years. She was in your room the appropriate amount of time to clean your room and has no history of anything ever coming up missing in a guest room, and has in fact turned in several items of value in the past that were returned to guests. We continue to look for your missing item and if it turns up we will be sure to contact you to return them.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed at this location for the better part of last week (10/11/13 - 10/17/13). All in all, location is its only saving grace - its close to downtown / university and has a variety of eateries / bars if that is your thing.

To begin with, because we were not parking a car, I was left to haul my bags / boxes and related belongings without assistance (x6) - the bell hop just watched as I loaded a cart and took care of business.

At first glance, the room was adequate; however, from the dirty carpet lines around the trim, it was clear that the room was not well kept. This included lamp sockets that had been previously glued down, towel bars that were falling off the wall, sink fixtures which were not secured, a sink that would not properly drain and a shower curtain that permitted a half-gallon of water to escape during each use... Never mind the paper thin walls and balcony view of the roof top exhaust fans, thats just part of the dance.

At day three, I took the time to inform the staff of my complaints. Nothing was addressed for the next three nights I was there. When I confronted the staff again, I was surprised to hear that nothing was done because I had not come back and reminded them that I would like the issues corrected.

This same theme was repeated with laundry service. After delivering my laundry to the front desk in the morning, I returned in the afternoon for pickup. I was told the items would be in my closet (how convenient) - sure enough, nothing there. Back down stairs to check on things, only to have someone else ask me the why, when and where my clothes were dropped off. A simple review of my ticket evidenced that I was in the clear and only then could the staff be bothered to go look for my belongings...which were there and not in my room as promised.

In the end, I will not be staying here again. From the $15 / day for Internet, to the increased pricing during the week, I will take my $1,200 dollars to another establishment.

I would be embarrassed to operate this location - most if not all of my complaints with the room come from years of neglect. Clearly there is no such thing as preventative maintenance or other system in place to ensure the basic functionality of the rooms.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank RWAII
First of all thank you for letting us know of your issues as it gives us an opportunity to correct them to improve our guest's experience. I discused this issue with the Front Desk Agent that you talked with and she told me of your issues and that she was going to send an Engineer to your room immediately to repair the problems but that you declined that offer that evening because it was 8 PM and that you would rather have the work done the next day when you were not it the room. She further stated that she wanted to schedule a time to do that and you told her that you would stop by the next morning to let them know when the work could be done. She worked the next day and told the other Agents that you would be stopping by the desk but you did not. I am sorry for the bad communication on our part but she believed she was following your instructions.

I have been the General Manager of this property for five years and I am very proud of my staff and the hotel. If you read the majority of our reviews they compliment the friendliness and the responsiveness of the staff constantly. It was alarming to hear of your comments but I take them in a very constructive manner and look to make improvements. Thank you for your review.
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed 20 October 2013

If you have a child at the university of arizona then this is the ONLY place to stay.
They have the NICEST Staff. I wish I could give you guys 100 green dots.
Barbara helped us out with a room last minute. THANK YOU!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
We are very pleased that Barbara was able to assist you. Thank you so much for the kind words we really appreciate it. Just a reminder for University of Arizona events we tend to sell out early so book as soon as you know what your plans are. Hope to see you again very soon.
Queen Creek
Reviewed 13 October 2013

My husband and I spent two nights at the Marriott in Tucson for his birthday. It was more expensive than we normally spend, but it was a special occasion. So, first, in addition to the room rate, we had to pay for parking in the garage across the street. We should have checked to see what the parking rates were for non-guests just to see if we were paying more for the privilege of staying at the hotel. But then, I discovered that there was a $9.95 PER DAY charge for Wi-Fi. Every restaurant we visited had free wifi, but not Marriott. Also, there were two bottles of Dasani water on the table, with a sign saying that if consumed, there would be a $4.00 charge per bottle. At my grocery store, I can buy a case of Dasani for $4.99. Don't you think that's pretty tacky? The beds were comfortable, the linens were nice, and the shower was hot. But the trim on the drawer in the bathroom was broken off. The location, however, was perfect. Walking distance to the university and lots of restaurants, bars, coffee shops. Wouldn't go back, though. Next time, I'll choose Hilton.

Room Tip: Don't take a room on the second floor. Too noisy. The higher, the better.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank selmagirl
TucsonMarriott, General Manager at Tucson University Park Hotel, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are pleased you like our location. One alternative to not paying for the internet is the business center that has several computers for guest use free of charge. Several guests request that we provide them with free internet as they compare us to restaurants who provide the service for free. The reason that we charge for the internet is that we have to provide a vast amount of bandwidth to supply the internet to 400 to 500 devices being used in a hotel by our guests and these systems are very expensive, in contrast a restaurant can provide a basic signal as they may have a dozen users on their site a one time. We appreciate your point of view and are always looking at better ways to serve our guests.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We spent one night at this hotel because our son was visiting UA's dorms as a prospective student. We didn't want to spend our time travelling back and forth across Tucson during our limited time in town, so we chose this hotel for its proximity to campus.

This is a full-service hotel, which means it charges for everything. Self park or valet parking both have price tags (self park is free on Sat or Sun nights I believe), as does WiFi in the sleeping rooms (free on the first floor). Don't drink the room-temp bottled water in the rooms unless you want to spend $4/bottle. There is fruit-infused water available in the lobby, and the barkeeper was happy to fill my personal bottle with ice and water.

We did pay for valet parking because we were on a tight arrival schedule, and while it did include in-and-out privileges, we just left the parked and walked everywhere we needed to go.

We got a King room with a rollaway for our daughter ($20 charge) which was spacious and very clean. We had requested a feather-free room, and the housekeeper came as we arrived in the room and changed out all the linens and pillows.

The bathroom was large with a huge vanity, which was great for all our tolietries. The shower was perhaps the best we've ever had in a hotel...the Kohler showerhead was fantastic and the hotel had plenty of water pressure on the 7th floor to make it great.

We would stay here again under similar circumstances...if we had more time in town we'd probably look at a more moderate hotel in a different part of town.

Pros: UA proximity and cleanliness. Staff was very friendly and accomodating. AC was quiet and effective.

Cons: charging for everything that comes standard in more moderate hotels. Atrium-style building meant that we could hear the piped in music and loud groups come in late at night, but the music must have been shut off at some point because I didn't hear it throughout the night.

Room Tip: Some rooms can be quite a walk from the elevator due to the triangular, atrium-style of the building...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for writing a review of our hotel. We are very pleased our location met your needs. We certainly hope that we have another opportunity to serve you again in the near future.