“Not much soul but great Tucson location”

Tucson University Park Hotel
Ranked #45 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
California
“Not much soul but great Tucson location”
Reviewed 31 May 2009

Your tipical big chain hotel - large rooms, clean but very sterile and lacking soul. However the staff is extremely friendly and the location is just great, especially if you have university related business. Loads of bars, restaurants, and museums in easy walking distance.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
brawley, ca
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times in the past year and will be staying there again this weekend. Everything has been consistently good.

The first two times I stayed there, I had some confusion with the front desk because my marriott rewards card did not match my name (divorce) and it was taking Marriott awhile to get my new card but the front desk people were very accomodating about it.

I stay here because my son's dorm is within walking distance. I would not stay here if I were vacationing because there are so many other nice resorts in Tucson. Also, I have paid anywhere from $109 per night to $279 per night depending on what is going on at the University. Not fair! If you are not familiar with Tucson it can be a very difficult city to get around. If your child goes to UA and you stay at Westward Look for example, you could face a 20-30 minute drive to get to campus.

But, the rooms are clean, the breakfast buffet is a pretty good deal. The front desk people and the valets recognize me now.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Washington State
Reviewed 5 May 2009

The hotel made a mistake locking me out of my room. The Assistant Manager was in the hostility business not the hospitality business. I had to make 4 trips down from the 8th Floor to get into the right room (the one with our luggage) and get a key that worked. He never apologized or acknowledged the error and in fact, acted like I was a horrible inconvenience. He made us late to a dinner party and ruined the evening. In fairness the other staff were great---the gentleman who handled the parking and the staff person who witnessed my treatment and took it upon himself to apologize to me. However, it drove home to me that all it takes is one hostile person to color your entire perception of a place.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Trikonasana
Vallejo, Ca
Reviewed 4 May 2009

Another nice stay at the Doubletree Inn Sonoma. Honored my request for a top floor room. Room was spacious and bed was comfortable. Only drawbacks for me are that internet use is not in the room costs extra, and that the bathroom floor gets VERY slippery when walking on it with wet feet after a shower. I almost slipped and fell before I could get from the shower into my slippers.

Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 29 April 2009

I'm usually very criticial about everything, but I can't complain about anything at this Marriott. In particular, it is right on the university campus - U of A buildings throughout the neighborhood. During breaks in my business conference it was a pleasure to stroll the gorgeously-landscaped grounds in the warm sun. There are also plenty of restaurants and coffee shops throughout the area.

The hotel itself was quite competently run. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. The rooms were a good size. Shaded balconies offered nice views. The beds and linens were first-rate. Housekeeping was perfect, and I never once walked into a room mid-clean or got a nasty knock on my door saying housekeeping was now or never. The meeting rooms were fine. The fitness room had very good cardio facilities, but really no weight training.

The only thing I can carp on is something I've run into at many hotels sharing this open atrium design: my room was a long way from the elevator; the elevators were WAY too slow; and if one took the stairs, one ended up in an outside alley instead of the lobby.

But everything else was done so well I could even handle the elevators.

Long Beach, California
Reviewed 24 April 2009

This attractive atrium hotel is practically on the U of Arizona campus and thus super convenient access for University events and particularly Centennial Hall. Nearby inexpensive restaurants are plentiful although one needs to drive to any serious shopping. Desk personnel and housekeeping were quite efficient. The underpopulated dining room was convenient and steak tasty. Parking was overpriced at $11 for self park and the room a bit overpriced for the area. Improvements needed: real coffee cups, TV Guide in room, free access to Internet.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Southwest US
Reviewed 8 April 2009

Don't let some of the poorer reveiws on here fool you. While the parking is kinda different (parking garage or lot w/ fee), I wasn't directly affected since I took a $30 cab ride from the airport. I was a little skeptical, but was quite pleased and impressed when I checked in. They were very accomodating when I arrived early and wanted to check in (before 10am). They had a room and quickly checked me in and asked if I wanted a mini fridge to be sent to my room. This worked perfectly since I was in the middle of a cold and wanted to get some rest in before I went the my conference (being held at this hotel). I was given a king room, which was clean, spacious and had a couch. I was on the 6th floor in the corner (601). The room was in quiet and no issues. The hotel did a great job of providing water on each table at the conference and provided iced juice and sodas after lunch.
They have a bar and dining in house, but we ate out at the numerous restaurants within a block or less of the hotel. Quite a variety of places due to being right in the middle of the U of A campus. I would stay there again!