“First time in Tucson”

Tucson University Park Hotel
Ranked #29 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 February 2011

I was in Tucson for a business trip and stayed at the Marriott due to the proximity of my meetings. It was a wonderful experience and so close to so many wonderful restaurants, downtown, University of Arizona. and mountain views. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that is visiting Tucson for the first time. I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 18 January 2011

Stayed here 3 nights for a recent business meeting. The hotel location is excellent. About a 20 minute ride from the airport and right on the edge of the University of Arizona campus. Many bars and restaurants are just a short one block walk.

The first thing you notice when walking in, is the large atrium area that extends up through the hotel. As other reviewers mention, it is pretty noisy with the waterfall they have in there. Seemed like I could even hear it in my room.

My room was great. Nice and spacious even with two beds in the room I had plenty of room to set all my stuff out. The bathroom was also spacious with a lot of counterspace which is a plus to lay all your stuff out and would have been really great had my wife been with me! Everything was clean! In room AC/Heating controls were easy to use/access and worked well.

Being a business traveler, the one thing which I am always very critical of is the hotel wireless internet. The hotel does offer wireless service, but at thirteen dollars per day it is very pricy. I am always confused why the higher end hotels charge such outrageous rates for internet use, but the Holiday Inns of the world let you use it free of charge. Lucky for me that the meeting group I was with paid for the wireless internet in our meeting room. That was the upside, the downside was that it was horribly slow and I was often booted out. Downloading any type of audio/video was out of the question. The other downside is that if you paid for wireless in your room, it didn't work in the meeting rooms! Not sure how these hotels set up their services, but you would think if you are paying for the internet, you should be able to access it in a first floor meeting room.

I didn't eat at the restaurant at all, but several of the people I was with did and said the food was very good. It really didn't make any sense to eat in the hotel when there were dozens of restaurants and bars only a few minutes away.

Overall I was very pleased with the stay and would stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 December 2010

This is well positioned for visits to UA. Its in the center of town and there are lots of nice places to eat close by. The room tariff is standard for a very standard Marriott.

I only stayed for one night but I do have a couple of comments. I waited a very long time at 10pm to get served in the foyer level bar restaurant area. The waiting staff bypassed me several times in favor of groups of a dozen who were experimenting with rounds of drinks. The waitresses seemed surprised when I asked for a menu and wine list. When I asked for more water at the end of the meal, the "oh, really!" comment summed it up. The pork chopped and asparagus were good, the aintipasto salad was plentiful but populated with tasteless salami that was overly fatty.
Note to self - next time walk a block downtown, eat better and quicker, more wine choice.

The other issue of note is the noise factor from the internal atrium. The manager came and asked one group to quieten down in the bar because the noise was disturbing people in the rooms above. this seems to be an ongoing problem from other reviews.

The room, bed and bathroom were comfortable.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 November 2010

Just a wee pet peeve, but don't like hearing the man (lady?) snoring next door, and garbled conversations in the other room on the other side at odd hours..

Also pricey, but I get that the $$ is high so you can walk most everywhere.

Very convenient to the school and fun night life, and management staff very helpful and courteous. Food was good - not great, but certainly adequate. Just so sorry about the noise! We were on the 8th floor - maybe other rooms are quieter? thicker walls? nope. maybe not, but if you're a sound sleeper and can sleep (snore!) thru anything...your kind of place!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2010

We stayed at the Marriott University Park when we visited the University of Arizona with our 17 yr. old son, and we were glad that we did. You literally walk out the door and you are on campus. It allowed us to wander around the school, go on the tour, and mingle among the students in the dining/shopping area without ever getting into our car, and our son could come and go without any worry. We had a small suite on the 5th floor which was perfect for the 3 of us. The room was cleaned and straighten each morning and the bed turned down every evening. We had breakfast in the hotel each morning which was delicious. The staff - front desk and restaurant - were very helpful - even remembering what we liked for breakfast! When there was a problem with the computers in the business center, I was offered the computer at the front desk!
If our son ends up going to U of A, we will stay there all the time!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2010

We have travelled all over the world and this hotel is HIGHLY over-priced! The only good things were that the room was spacious and clean. We paid $200 on a Thursday nite! We had no fridge, no microwave, no breakfast. At 4:45am were both woke up by banging which continued thru the morning and we later figured out it was the plumbing! At 5:30 am we were woken by the staff putting plates, glasses etc out for the $$$breakfast in the courtyard that ALL the rooms overlook! Needless to say we never got back to sleep! On top of it all at $200 a night they charge $13.00 per day for WIFI!! Really??
We chose this place because after travelling the Southwest for 3 weeks we thought we'd splurge a bit because we really wanted a good nights sleep, unfortunately that was obviously not the case!

We travel quite a lot and stay in places that cost less $$ with far better amenities! Definitely not worth the $$$! Keep looking!

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed 27 June 2010

I have stayed at this hotel at least ten nights over the last year, and Marriott must be doing something right because I keep coming back. Marriott is my chain hotel of choice, and like most Marriotts, this place is clean, comfortable, and reliable, with a staff that is professional, courteous, and helpful. The hotel is conveniently located theee blocks from the main gate at the University of Arizona, one block from University Avenue (and its many shops, restaurants, and nightlife), and a long walk or short trolly ride to 4th Avenue and Old Town Tucsan. Unlike other Marriotts, the rooms here seem larger than the typical Marriott room, and by big city standards, the price is reasonable at least when there are no special events.

My primary complaint is is not unique to this particular property, but rather, Marriott's practice of charging $12.95 per day for internet access. Don't waste you money, however, because free WiFi, compliments of the University of Arizona, is widely available in the neighborhood, including the rooms where I have stayed within the hotel.

The fitness room is also disappointing in that it consists of a few treadmills, elliptical trainers, and light dumbbells.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business