We did not know about the extensive renovation going on in one wing of the hotel but it had limited impact on our stay (see below breakfast and pool). Price was probably reflective of the condition of the hotel and slight inconvenience of the renovation. Hotel is in a nice location, 20 min from Sabino Canyon and from Mt. Lemmon scenic byway. There's also a nice selection of dining options in the nearby plaza and we also got food to go at the Trader Joe very close.
Our suite was a 2-room suite in C entrance (facing the river) and unfortunately not facing the pool area so without patio. It was well designed with both room having their own access to the bathroom. The TVs were dated (kinda small and no flat screen) but having one in each room was a plus. It had a medium-sized fridge, a small sink and a small bar. It was very quiet at night too and during the day, we could not hear much of the reconstruction. Unfortunately, our suite was on the side where trash collection happened early in the morning so that woke us up. Wifi was fast enough for streaming Netflix on the kids' tablets.
The flow in the hotel was kinda annoying. To go between our room and the lobby/breakfast area, we had to swipe our room card twice each way to unlock various doors. Seemed a bit excessive considering you need your room card to enter the hotel in the first place (aside from the lobby entrance). If you're carrying luggage or have your hands full, it's a bit of a hassle.
Pool and spa area was well designed but unfortunately without much chaise space. Also, it was not kept very well cleaned with tons of leaves and flowers from a nearby tree. I didn't mind cleaning it myself but still, not very good impression. It was also right next to the wing being renovated so not the best view or with a bit of noise from workers. Not a big deal in evenings though.
Breakfast area was rather tiny and selection felt a bit subpar probably due to the reconstruction going on nearby. Hopefully it improves once the reno is done.
Overall, a pretty good stay but pool and breakfast could have been better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All-suite Tucson, AZ, hotel near the University of Arizona Located less than five miles from the University of Arizona's main campus, Homewood Suites by Hilton(R) Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University places guests near sporting events and cultural attractions. This extended-stay hotel in Tucson, Arizona, is set in the beautiful St. Philip's Plaza in the Catalina foothills, with wonderful shopping and dining options just steps away, including a weekend Farmer's Market featuring Southern Arizona's largest market devoted entirely to locally grown and manufactured products. Our Tucson hotel by Rillito River Park offers 12 miles of riverside trails. Enjoy easy access to Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum and Biosphere 2. Corporate travelers will appreciate our proximity to Honeywell, Raytheon, Ventana Medical and the University of Arizona Medical Center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hilton Hotels Direct, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Windmill Suites Of Tucson Hotel Tucson
- Windmill Inn Tucson
- Homewood Suites By Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University Arizona