“Clean room, unresponsive front desk”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University
Ranked #8 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
San Diego, California
“Clean room, unresponsive front desk”
Reviewed 7 April 2009

The room was huge--a sort of suite--and clean but without character.
When I arrived to check in, the clerk was on the phone with a supervisor, and stayed on the phone, on and on, while I waited. If I were his supervisor I'd want him to say, "I have a customer, I'll call you back." When he finally waited on me he did apologize.
I asked for an especially quiet room. He put me next to several roaring soda and ice machines. When will hotels learn that trying to sleep next to these machines isn't "quiet"? I should have asked for a different room, but I was so tired I decided just to go to bed.
The bed was very comfortable.
Breakfast included--fruit, cereal, self-made waffles, hard-boiled eggs, rolls, Danish, coffee, juice.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank Tony C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
seattle, washington
Reviewed 2 April 2009

A great place to stay if single, family, or disabled. Located in a pretty shopping center with fountains in north end of Tuscon, easy to find if new to area. Lobby is comfy and cheerful with ice water, coffee and tea 24 hours, eggs, juice, waffles, toast, cereal and pastry + for breakfast. Rooms have separate living room, small kitchen with microwave and fridge, couch, writing desk. Very clean. Pool and hot tub are great to ways to relax, quiet and pleasant. First floor great if in wheelchair or walking-challenged! Staff is helpful and friendly. Rates are reasonable.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank mmjensen
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 25 March 2009

Windmill Inn has great rooms/suites and a very friendly, helpful staff. Two TVs in two rooms was great...my daughter could watch what she wanted, and so could I [plenty of decent stations to choose from...including the Disney Channel, a winner if you have kids]. Small refrigerator, microwave and small sink were in a small room...very convenient. The stand-alone sink between bedroom and bathroom was another positive feature. Breakfast was fine...you could make a waffle, choose from several cereals, have some orange juice, fruit, hard boiled eggs, etc. The Windmill offers you a chocolate chip cookie sometime after 4 pm each day... all you have to do is stop by the desk and ask for it. The staff allowed us to check in early and leave late...we have a special needs child, and we really appreciated the Windmill's willingness to do that for us. Plenty of parking...right next to the hotel. We'll definitely stay at the Windmill the next time we're in Tucson...and heartily recommend it...it was a great value for us, as we were able to obtain a relatively low room rate via their website.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
cleveland ohio
Reviewed 23 March 2009

we were very glad we found this hotel on trip advisor, it met our needs beautifully. the continental breakfast was great, the staff friendly, the grounds very nice. we had a king suite which allowed room for my husband, myself and my grown son on the pullout couch in his own room. hotel was very busy during spring training/spring break time but managed to accomodate all well, except we never got those free cookies!

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kimcht
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Definitely a good hotel. Rooms are clean and spacious. Complimentary continental breakfast has some nice touches, such as hard boiled eggs and a waffle maker. Seemed like a good value, though my friend and I had a special, pre-negotiated rate for a wedding. Staff was cordial. Location didn't seem very central, though I don't know Tucson very well. Was next to a popular bike trail.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank jrh825
Arizona
Reviewed 20 February 2009

It was the best four day trip I've ever had. It was suggested by a friend and I was amazed! The suites were both comfortable and spacious, as well as clean and beautiful. The staff was superb: professional, polite, knowledgeable, and the went above and beyond. The front desk found us great places to visit and wonderful restaurants to experience. They took care of our every need. I've been to such a wonderful place. It was quiet, relaxing and the pool was heated to the perfect temperature. This is a must visit!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque
Reviewed 16 February 2009

We stayed at the St Philip's Plaza Windmill for the Gem and Mineral show and were very happy with the accomodations and the wonderful staff. The location is great and you are conveniently located by shopping and great restaurants. St. Philips Plaza hosts a Farmers market every weekend and it was great to browse and buy lotions, pecans, coffee, breakfast, jewelry and fat juicy strawberries and other produce for reasonable prices. The staff are very nice and there are delicious chocolate chip cookies at the front desk every afternoon. The Windmill is an older hotel but the room is clean and things in the room were in working condition. It was quiet on the floor I was on even though the lobby was packed with people enjoying breakfast and the Farmers Market. The hotel is on the 15 mile walking path and is also within walking distance of Starbucks and Sullivan's Steakhouse. I will stay there when I am back in Tucson.

• Liked — The central location.
  • Disliked — Sticky pocket door.
  • Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kdtAlbuquerque