“Great space; great value; great service”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Tucson/St. Philip's Plaza University
Ranked #8 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
St. Louis county, Missouri
“Great space; great value; great service”
Reviewed 3 December 2009

Roomy suites at less cost than many hotels' regular cramped rooms. "Sitting room" has TV, desk, free wireless internet, mini kitchen w/ half frig and microwave, sofa sleeper, coffee tables. Bedroom has 2 queens and TV. Mini bath with sink and mirror as well as full bath. Decent continental breakfast, but Tucson has incredible places to eat--breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Hotel is near foothills, but easy to get to from downtown or the University. We have stayed here many times and never been disappointed, but I would not select it if I were looking for a "hot" location or super-elegance. The shops and restaurants sharing the mini-shopping center, however, are all on the up-scale side.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Southwest-enthusiast

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
San Diego
Reviewed 14 November 2009

Having lived in Tucson for many years, I had a few favorite places to stay, but was becoming alarmed at some of the rates at hotels I used to be able to afford. My last three trips to Tucson (Sept-Nov 2009), I have stayed at the Windmill Inn, and now I will never stay anywhere else. The rooms are affordable, clean and very quiet. Continental breakfast is fine. The staff is helpful and friendly. Thanks for converting me!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank WildcatSuse
Arizona
Reviewed 7 November 2009

Rarely do the reviews on Trip Advisor disappoint me. I have used Trip Advisor to find amazing rooms and dining options across America and Europe. However, the reviews for the Windmill Inn was one of the rare times I have been disappointed. After reading the reviews for the Windmill Inn I immediately booked a room. The Windmill Inn was the number one rated hotel for Tucson and the rates were quite reasonable. However, the experience of staying there didn't live up to the rave reviews. The room and the hotel were not awful, they were adequate, but certainly not in line with the reviews the hotel has received.

We checked in around 6:00 and there was quite a long line at check in. The front desk was in a bit of disarray and the staff was overly solicitous to some guests while completely ignoring others. They did have warm cookies at check in, which was a nice touch, but rather than having them out so that people could take them, guests had to ask for the cookies, which was a bit awkward.

The room was adequate, but dated. The linens on the bed were quite thin and cheap feeling and one of the pillows had a hair on it, which made me wonder if the bed had been changed or simply made up. Perhaps someone had merely used the pillow and not the entire bed and rather than strip the bed, the cleaning staff had simply put the pillow back on the bed and fluffed it up. The remainder of the room was clean but not outstandingly so.

If you are looking for an adequate, fairly clean and reasonable room in North Tucson, by all means stay here. Just be forewarned this hotel is a chain hotel and nothing special.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank cynthgso
Goulburn
Reviewed 1 November 2009

I had the pleasure of staying here for 4 nights. From the check in to check out, all was done in a very professional but also personal way. From calling me by my name throughout my stay to even giving me a stamp when I was willing to pay, to the cookies which I missed out on the first 2 days, & one of the girls then saved me a couple & put them away for me - now that is personal service.
The suite was also more than I hoped for, I had more room than I required, but still managed to use it all. It was lovely to look down on to the pool & I was given the placement of the room I requested.
As I said on check out, this was one of the best hotels I have had the pleasure to stay in for many years & I travel all around the world.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled solo
San Francisco Bay Area
Reviewed 27 October 2009

We've stayed at the Windmill Inn many times over the past 15 years. The rooms are very spacious, clean and the staff is extremely helpful. It's excellent value for the price. It is located in a lovely plaza with shops and excellent restaurants. There is even a Farmer's Market on Sunday mornings.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Michigan
Reviewed 22 October 2009

This hotel far exceeded my expectations! Very clean, spacious rooms were comfortable and quiet. The whole place was very clean and really appreciate the no-smoking policy. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Great location with easy access to many sights. The complimentary breakfast was typical no-frills fare, but for the room rates a great deal. I would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank drsccrmom
Chicago
Reviewed 13 October 2009

If you are planning to stay in Tucson, Windmill is the place to stay. We had an actual suite...a living room area (with tv), a kitchen area (microwave, fridge, sink), a huge bedroom (king bed and tv), a vanity area (sink, mirror) and a spacious bathroom( sink, tub with shower).
From the lobby to the business area (2 computers with internet availability and printer) to the continental breakfast area (delicious food) to the gorgeous pool area and the staff, we were thoroughly pleased with everything we received at a phenomenal price.
Coming from the midwest, we wish that Windmill would branch out to our area.
We recommend the Windmill Suites and Inn to everyone!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple