“great price”

Ranked #108 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
Tucson
“great price”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

nice for what you pay....microwave, fridge, continental breakfast...pets allowed
pool wasn't inviting, no shade...vending machine by window and candy was melted...liked that you have sliding door exit as option. Would stay again..when we needed towels, they brought them right away. Son forgot toothbrush, front desk has extra stuff you may have forgot to bring.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Rowlett, Texas
Reviewed 6 June 2013

As a Choice Privileges Diamond member, I stay in Choice Hotel family properties, of which Clarion is one of the brands, quite frequently. This Clarion is at the lower end of what the Clarion brand represents, but I still had a decent stay, and the price was great.

This is an older hotel, and my first impression was not positive. It's on a strip adjacent to I-10, with other, older, low-priced hotels nearby. When I arrived, slightly after midnight, there was no one at the front desk, and after announcing my arrival a couple of times, the night clerk eventually appeared. I was checked in quickly and given a first floor room not too far from the reception area.

The lobby area was small but tasteful and clean, and the breakfast area was nearby.

The hotel has interior corridors, and the condition of the corridor was good - appeared to be upgraded and in decent shape. My room was likewise upgraded, although there were some signs of wear and tear. But the room was clean and the bathroom was spotless. The beds were comfortable with a choice of pillows, and I had no trouble getting a good night's sleep. The hotel was also surprisingly quiet, given its location adjacent to the busy I-10.

I appreciated the fact that electrical outlets were not hard to find, and, in fact, strategically placed in the room. On the desk, the lamp had two AC outlets, making it easy to plug in a laptop and recharge my phone. The wall mounted lamp between the beds likewise had two outlets. This is a nice touch and quite convenient if one wants to keep ones phone nearby while charging it.

My wakeup call came promptly at the appointed time, via the automated phone system, but then about 10 minutes later, the front desk person called to confirm that I had received it. Another nice touch.

There was only one issue with my stay - which I mention every time that it happens. When I checked in, I was asked for my personal ID so that the front desk person could make a copy. Whenever I am asked this, I always refuse. I believe it to be a tremendous invasion into personal privacy and a substantial risk for identity theft through misuse of the copy of this very personal document. In fact, on two previous occasions over the year, after allowing copies of my ID to be made, they were misused, along with my credit card information, to make fraudulent charges, and so I never allow copies of my ID to be made. I am happy to have the front desk person examine it to verify my identity but not to make a physical copy, and I believe that hotels that have a policy to copy an ID send the message that they either don't trust their guests, possibly believe that their guests may be engaging in illegal activities, or they attract a questionable clientele which has driven them to demand such copies. By saying this here, I am not saying in any way that this particular property is making any such statement, but my point is that it comes across very negatively, and I believe that it is a tremendous invasion into one's personal privacy and totally unnecessary. In this case, when I was asked to present my ID so that a copy could be made, I politely refused and explained why, and the front desk person let it go at that. Had she insisted that she make a copy, I would have probably stayed elsewhere. Fortunately, it did not come to that.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank step12dude
Hermosillo, Mexico
Reviewed 27 May 2013

Never again! Arrived at hotel to find out that the lady @front desk (jmata.az362) didn´t find my reservation. She "fixed" the problem and gave us a room. At 6:00pm I got a message from my bank telling me that i was charged again. When i got to the front desk, the person who attended me earlier wasn´t there so, i was attended by another one. She apologized and said that everything was a mistake and not to worry because it was fixed. 5 days and there´s no money back on my bank account. By the way, no bath soap in the room.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank petuniaypitu
Texas
Reviewed 25 May 2013

If we weren't tired and hungry we would most likely pass this one up. But, being a Clarion by Choice Hotel we took a chance. Not such a good move! It needs serious work. There's just enough to keep you in there at least to sleep and wash up. Be sure your sliding door to the parking lot is secure.
The employees are very nice and helpful. They suggested the restaurant next door (with a 20% discount) and it was good; seems like a lot of locals go in there and that is a good sign. We had a comfortable sleep. But, the physical structure including inside the rooms need a re-doing and upgrading.
Choice needs to get on the management here and themselves to fix the place up or shut it down.

Room Tip: Pass the place up if you can. If not, inspect the room and the sliding door for security purposes. U...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank keystoneTexas
Oakhurst, California
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Clarion is one of Choice Hotels highest ranked properties - this one is really bad! The curtains were ripped, the shower head was falling off, the tub was black, the door hinge was broken and
on and on. We were very disappointed! The front staff were busy talking and couldn't be bothered. It was rather inexpensive but after staying there, we know why. Skip this one!!!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wrldtrvlers
Helsinki
Reviewed 17 April 2013

This place is a fair bargain but don't expect much. The breakfast is sub-par, the jacuzzi is a joke and the staff would really be doing something else. I don't think I'll stay here again but it wasn't all that bad when all is said and done.

Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RobinLocksley
fayetteville
Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

This room is perfectly located for my needs. I have stayed here 3 seperate times over the last 4 years and they have been consistant.. front desk is nice. sometimes housekeeping forgets towells or soap, but when u call the front desk it is always promptly brought to your room. It is right off the freeway so I always park under the lights at the front of the hotel. They have a very nice complementary breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013