“Excellent (conference) hotel, as expected”

Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Ranked #18 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Brussels, Belgium
“Excellent (conference) hotel, as expected”
Reviewed 21 March 2013

I stayed at the Westin hotel a conferece in Tucson. Although I am a SPG platinum member, it was my first stay at a Westin hotel. And I was pleasantly surprised.
First, I have to mention that I did not expect anything from Tucson. But it is a town in a very beautiful setting. Very outdoorish mentality. Loved it, unexpectedly. Would love to come back!
Second, I also have to state that I am a big fan of Tripadvisor. I read most reviews of the hotels that I am travelling to, and like to post a lot of reviews myself. Having said that, I am very sceptic of some of the very positive reviews here. In contrast to other hotels, many of the raving Tripadvisor reviews rating this hotel as excellent have been written by persons that just posted only one review, sometimes combined with a review of the very average restaurant. I do not want to insinuate anything, but I have the strong impression that some hotel staff (or relatives) may be behind these many positive reviews. And it is a pitty as they should not do that since the hotel is pretty fine.
Third, beware that the pool area is currently under construction. They have a large, albeit uninteresting pool available at the nearby La Paloma club for the hotel guests. Just wanted to make sure that you know that, so you may want to delay your stay at this hotel until construction is finished. I am sure it will be pretty nice.

I list here the pros, as I could not really find any contras in the hotel (besides my check-out bill being not correct, not receiving one wake up call, and the main restaurant being far from a memorable gastronomic experience):
-Location : looking out the mountains, overlooking a golf terrain, not too far (by car) from shops and restaurants.
-Staff : very kind, very helpful
-Room : recently renovated an truly a great room. Soft bed, nice balcony, lots of space, lovely bathroom. Ask for a room overlooking the sunset.
-Green program : they award their guests for being green, and that was a first for me (not having your room cleaned means you will get a 5 US $ discount voucher for food, or 500 SPG points which you can convert to airmiles).

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dayna D, Starwood Hotels at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Dear Talula001,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay. While we apologize our pool was under renovation during your stay, we are happy to hear that Tucson and our resort exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (787)
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 20 March 2013

The resort location in the Foothills is just gorgeous. Our newly renovated room was so tastefully decorated. The king size bed was fabulous. The towels were plush and even my husband was impressed by the new square shower head. The views in the lobby are impressive and the staff members were pleasant and helpful. This was my third stay and I plan to return.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear MMRAZ,

Thank you for your continued patronage at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. We are delighted you enjoyed our newly renovated guest rooms and that our Heavenly beds and showerhead exceeded your expectations.

Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We stayed at the resort March 2-6. The staff at La Paloma lined up golf, dinner outings and catered to our every need. Both Paul and Vinnie (golf starters) were of great help to our group in coordinating golf as well as offering helpful tips. The golf courses were in immaculate conditon, and the use of the country club pool and facilities helped accomodate our group with the main pool under renovation. All in all, a perfect trip!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Mike,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay. We are delighted to hear that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly and that you were able to experience our newly rejuvenated golf course.

Corona, California
Reviewed 19 March 2013

Margaret who helps us with our events was on top of all of our needs and services and was always checking up on us. Donal was helpful with our needs and came by to check on us several times to make sure we had everything. Fernando was great as always he made sure we had what we needed and if we did not he make sure we got it..

The main reason we have our events here is because of the above people they never disappoint ever.. We do 2 a year and been doing this for the past 8 years

Room Tip: All the rooms have been redone and are fantastic great job!!!!
1 Thank noellet
Dear noellet,

Thank you for your continued loyalty and business at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. We are thrilled to hear our staff continues to provide excellent service and makes sure all your needs are met.

We look forward to hosting your next event and to welcoming you back in the future!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 March 2013

The Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa is still undergoing a major renovation which at this time includes all of the pool area. So visiting there now is a little disappointing, but upon completion this will be the go to location in Tucson. The resort backs onto mountains and is surrounded by a gold course and wonderful landscaping. It is huge - be ready for a walk or golf cart ride to your room. Speaking of rooms, mine was in Building A which provided a view of the golf course and mountain background. Well appointed with an updated washroom and nice private balcony. Not sure when the pool renovations will be completed - that date was strangely absent from all Westin materials, but with the temperature in the 90s there was very limited options for any outdoor seating at all. There is another pool a bit of a hike away, but no consideration was made for any type of temporary outdoor seating at the resort proper. Very disappointing as this was not made clear when the initial reservations were made - bit of a bait and switch as the SPG site showed a beautiful pool area complete with water slide. Again, I am sure it will be beautiful but for now proceed with caution.

I'm sure my rating would have been "Excellent" if I did not stay during a major construction project that I was not made aware of.

3 Thank Rod J
Dayna D, Starwood Hotels at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 19 March 2013
Dear Trekking48,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience. We apologize that our main pool was under renovation during your stay. While we try to properly notify our guests prior to their arrival, we are sorry we missed the opportunity to let you know about our pool rejuvenation.

We hope you are able to come back in the future to experience our complete resort renovation!
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This is my sixth stay at the Westin La Paloma. The "rejuvenation" (Starwood term) going on property wide was a really nice updating of the interior of the property. Many good things about the property remain unchanged; the immaculate landscaping, grand entrance, welcoming staff, views are still intact. Our stay was the weekend of March 16/17 and the pool construction is well underway and looks a substantial distance from completion. The country club pool is accessible to resort guests but it is only a lap-type pool so there is no kiddie pool or water slide. If you are coming with a family, be aware and make sure you contact desk to find out the status of the property updating.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am an SPG Gold Preferred Guest and we were here on SPG points. We did get the courtesy upgraded room from the basic, but we were on the second floor of the B building (a room level I would suggest avoiding if you want any view of the property, golf course or foothills more than the roof line of an adjacent building). We arrived without a reservation because we were not sure we would be able to get out of town on Friday or not to come down to Tucson and when we arrived the desk said they 'could not make a reservation on SPG points.' I said my phone was in my car but despite this they did not offer to call SPG and hand me a house phone. I went out to the valet and got my keys and got my phone out of the car.
I would have preferred a golf course view room but despite knowing my wife and I were here for an anniversary, we were not offered one. The balcony, as you can see pictured below, is nicely sized and made for a great evening outside for a cigar and burbon.

Because of the renovations on the pool still underway, the LaPaloma has taken three buildings out of inventory because of the construction disruption which is not insignificant due to the fencing,vehicle traffic and and materials storage. The remodeled lobby is very nice and upper tier bar has a lovely refreshed feel to it with darker neutrals and a couple tvs over the bar and in a corner nook if you are with a group watching a sporting event.

The rooms have been nicely updated. The surfaces in the bathroom and floor are very pleasant and will be durable. The new renovations added refrigerators to the room which is a nice touch for bottled water or a snack. The best feature is the rain shower! The shower is comfortably sized and the oversized shower head makes for a very enjoyable and refreshing shower. The bathtub however, gets a thumbs down. It is SMALL. I am 6'1" and sitting it in I felt folded up like an origami bird. The Westin Heavy king bed was just that; heavenly. We slept very well.

All and all, still very much like and will surely stay again at the La Paloma. However, I think the business center (charging $7 for 15 minutes of computer access plus printing charges when I had a 1 page document to print out was annoying), and a mildly inattentive front desk staff, and disruption with the pool construction (the pool work per se is less bothersome than the fencing up inside the resort, the lack of parking and the noise / visual disruption) I will make sure not to return until the hotel is completely finished with the work.

Room Tip: Check out the property map when they had it to you with your key. Ask for a course view room! If you...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Kelly,

Thank you for your continued loyalty - we sincerely appreciate your business. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our recently renovated guestrooms and our new Heavenly Rainforest showerheads. We apologize that our pool was under construction during your stay but hope that you are able to come back in the near future to experience our complete $30 million renovation!
phoenix
Reviewed 16 March 2013

On first impression, I was impressed. Front desk staff were friendly and welcoming. We simply mentioned a restaurant we had reservations for that evening at check-in and the front desk person printed out directions for us. Property is located in a lovely Tucson area perched amongst Arizona Foothills. Close to Sabino Canyon hiking and some good restaurants. Beautiful views and even prettier lobby and large picturesque views. The rooms have been remodeled in a modern, yet warm and comfortable decor. But at closer look, the old can't be simply covered-up. I ran a bath for our child, and saw what looked liked little black bugs in the water so I started to rinse and clean the tub myself, and was shocked to see loads of shaved hair and small dead bugs wash from underneath the new marble over-lay where the old tub met the new top. Needless to say, we decided to use the shower instead after 5 minutes of cleaning it myself late at night. Some of the faucet pieces in the shower were coming loose from the tile. But we liked the rain shower over-head. It was to late to call house keeping and we were too tired to deal with it at the time. Later that night, I looked at the tub again and saw live silver-fish bugs around the rim of the bath tub drain. Yuck! Took a picture and left the room. At check-out I informed the front desk, showed her my pictures and a nice lady apologized and said she would credit us a small amount. I don't know if they did. I didn't hear back from a Manager. The other disapointment is that we were never informed by the Reservations Clerk that the pool was under construction. Isn't this usually done when one books directly with the property? Our son was looking forward to the water slide he saw in the picture on the web-site. We were told we could use the small club house pool. Sorry, not the same and we should have been told. Had breakfast in the Azul Resturant just off the Lobby and was served by a wonderful young man named Jese. He couldn't do enough for us. The breakfast buffet was just ok, but the chef, Daniel made us a great omelette. Staff at this property made up for most of the flaws except for the bugs and hair. Not sure if I would stay again. Again, the staff brought the rating up, but it was only a 3 star.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank PhoenixWestin
Dayna D, Starwood Hotels at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 20 March 2013
We sincerely apologize for the opportunities that you had experienced during your most recent stay with us. I want to thank you for bringing this to our attention and giving us your feedback. If you had the time, I was hoping to speak to you personally about your concerns.

Thanks you for your time.
Scott Sack