“Bad assumptions, unauthorized charges, and lack of privacy”

Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Ranked #19 of 130 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Bad assumptions, unauthorized charges, and lack of privacy”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

This is a fantastic hotel, unfortunately I had quite a few issues with the staff here. When I arrived I opted out of maid service and requested no-one enter the room, as I have a dog. Which to the hotels credit has great accommodation for dogs. Coming back from a walk I see an employee leaving my room.

Normally when you want them to get your food tray you set it outside, I even was notified that is what I should do, I was even given a written card with these instructions, but in this case the employee decided to take the tray from the room anyway without permission. Despite many people telling me this is not standard protocol, this was somehow my fault.

Cleaning staff also have a need to put the CB radios on full volume as they clean outside your door.

When I called to complain about this I found out on checkout that I was charged on the card on file without permission at the time I made the complaint call. I had planned to pay cash and informed them on arrival, to settle the bill, instead they withdrew the payment from my social security account without my permission. Another example of another manager telling me this is odd, and shouldn't have happened. Things happened, more than once, and there was no genuine apology, or any remedy, the primary issue I have with the staff.

Instead they offered a "Its more your fault for not reinforcing your previous requests with the do not disturb sign."

I now have service charges for the automatic payment from this account for my electric bill that did not go though, because funds I wanted to reserve for this particular account were taken by the staff. I run a different kind budget system than most.

Also the hot-tub for the main area had more stuff (bugs, tree parts, ect) floating around than I have seen at any hotel. It was also only accessible by going thru a cold water pool. And the hot tub was luke-warm, with other guests walking around looking for heated vents, to no avail. and leaving.

One of the life guards on duty never looked up from game running on his phone.

The country club area was open due to the renovations on the main hotel pools, which was far better than the main hotel. I do not recall being notified at all upon booking that the pool area was under construction. One of the reasons we picked this was because the kids liked how the pools looked.

We also had a wonderful view at breakfast at the azul restaurant of a green tarp covered construction fence. Placed to cover the entire window. I do not dress as if I have wealth intentionally. When you have wealth, there isn't a need to do anything but be comfortable, and stay at places that are comfortable and up to the standard you came to pay for and expect.

It was clear that this resulted in different treatment, which I am sadly used to. I did not appreciate the "its 25 bucks for the buffet", almost in question form, as if I would not be able to cover such a price. All other guests had a view, with plenty of other tables open with one as well. I shouldn't have to ask to move for a view.

I wont be returning, there are plenty of other resorts who have a better sense of customer service. To be clear I wont accept a compensation, I don't need it, I just will forward up the ladder as any company should know where they are under-performing, and post reviews as a warning for others of potential issues.

Assuming someone on Social security may not have the funds, and charge the social security account to verify, is a problem (a federal one that affects every retiree and disabled SSDI recipient - see section 207 of social security act), especially when your net worth is still in the millions. So much for the 40 person family gathering for x-mas I wanted to arrange.

This trip was intended to scout the hotel out, I did, they failed, and I am now on to the next resort.

1 Thank ahotelpatron

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (792)
San Marcos, TX
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Driving from Texas to Arizona, we planned a stop in Tucson. A different hotel experience as the rooms are separated from the main hotel casita style. The units are actually built into the slope of the Mountains, and the landscaping restores the look of the native desert. The main lobby is stunning, and the convention areas and ballrooms seemed quite large.

Azul restaurant was excellent. The hostess informed us it was a busy night, which was odd because we could not see many tables. Most of the tables are segregated from view, offering a view of the patio and pool. The entrees were delicious and the bread was unbelievable. We had breakfast at Azul as well and it was very well prepared. The breads were also great.

Most of the walkways from the rooms to the hotel were covered, which would be great in summer or rainy weather. It was not a busy weekend, but it was obvious the resort was designed to host large groups of business travelers. We would stay again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Dayna D, Starwood Hotels at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated guestrooms as well as the lobby with mountain and city views.

We hope you had a safe drive and look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 24 March 2013

The hotel just renovated was fabulous! The staff were wonderful! Kent was very kind and helpful,
couldn't do enough for us. Gabriele makes the best sandwich's ever! :-) The dining room staff made my husband's birthday memorable. They were considerate. We will absolutely be returning,
no question, great place!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dayna D, Starwood Hotels at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Dear Karaliki,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay. We are thrilled to hear that you found our staff helpful and friendly and that you enjoyed our newly renovated resort. We hope your husband had a wonderful birthday!

Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed 24 March 2013

I stay in Tucson every year for the ACTEAZ summer conference. I have chosen to stay at the Westin La Paloma over "that other resort" every year for the last 4 summers. I have also been lucky enough to stay there for the FCCLA spring conference the past two years. I absolutely love this property and the staff. They always go above and beyond! This year I had the pleasure of staying in one of the newly renovated rooms. The new look is absolutely beautiful and so classy. I had a breathtaking mountain view and the amenities are wonderful. Peter Mnatzagania took wonderful care of me. He was so attentive to detail and my every need. I could not have asked for a better experience! I will continue to stay at the Westin and look forward to working with Peter and Angela Bush in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Kat L,

Thank you for your continued business and loyalty at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. We are thrilled to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated guestrooms and that our staff helped make your staff memorable.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Everything about my stay here was mediocre. It wasn't spectacular and it wasn't bad. It would have been a 3 star but for the fact that the hotel is branding had both the word "Westin" and "Resort" in it, and charges like one... but doesn't deliver

The buildings are scattered on the grounds, and when you arrive at your building, you're greeted by some extremely loud elevators (try not to get a room near them) Beside the elevators which are outdoors, are very loud ice machines. The whole thing had an odd motel feel to it.

As noted by other travelers, the rooms are dated. The guest rooms themselves are decently sized, but seem to require updating of carpets, plumbing. You're sufficiently far away from the main roads that you don't hear any noise. However, due to the distribution of the buildings and the location of the parking lot, you'll be walking quite a bit if you self-park.

The shared space (lobby, restaurants, etc.) are extremely well presented. However, the same couldn't be said of rooms. The complementary breakfast was decently made, but it was next to impossible to get attention from the wait staff.

All this would have made the hotel a solid 3. But this is a "westin resort", and charges according to that title. That's where I have the bump the hotel down a point because it doesn't hold a candle to the other Westins I've stayed in.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HC_LA
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa last April 2012. We would like to invite you back to experience our $35 million resort wide renovation where you will find everything from the guestrooms to the pool to the fitness center completely redesigned. Our guestrooms now boast modern upgrades and the newest signature touches from Westin.

As our resort-wide transformation is near complete, we look forward to welcoming you back in the future. We are confident that you will be quite amazed and delighted with all that has transpired.
Granite Bay, California
Reviewed 22 March 2013

The hotel has been recently renovated and is lovely. The event planner Donal Drayne was well organized and very helpful and thoughtful while planning our rehearsal dinner for 90. The setting was lovely and the food and drink wonderful. Great place to throw a party.

Room Tip: Room on the golf course.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dayna D, Starwood Hotels at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 24 March 2013
Dear Jean B,

Congratulations on your wedding! We are thrilled to hear that you found our event staff to be helpful and thoughtful and we hope everyone enjoyed the rehearsal dinner.

Glendale California
Reviewed 21 March 2013

My wife and I have stayed at the la Paloma several times, this was the first time we stayed in a remodeled suite. We used SPG points and had a third floor suite that had a mountain, golf course and city view. You could not ask for more. The remodeling was well done, the room was clean and in good repair. The bed was very comfortable. I liked the fact that there were two bathrooms as my 89 year old mother in law was with us. There was plenty of room for the three of us.
She is confined to a wheelchair, and when I packed I forgot the foot rests. They hotel had a similar wheelchair, and they made it available at no cost. We were treated well by all of the staff. They went out of there way to be helpful with my mother in law. Even thought the property is large we had no problems with wheel chair access. In the bar area their is a small elevator for handicapped access. I would recommend the La Paloma to any on traveling with a handicapped person
We had appetizers at the bar and they were very good, along with some out standing adult beverages. We just had a great time and we look forward to our next visit

Room Tip: The corner rooms generally have the best views.
Dear George91206,

Thank you for your continued loyalty and business at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed our newly renovated guestrooms and suites and that you found our staff to be helpful and friendly during your recent stay.