This is a fantastic hotel, unfortunately I had quite a few issues with the staff here. When I arrived I opted out of maid service and requested no-one enter the room, as I have a dog. Which to the hotels credit has great accommodation for dogs. Coming back from a walk I see an employee leaving my room.
Normally when you want them to get your food tray you set it outside, I even was notified that is what I should do, I was even given a written card with these instructions, but in this case the employee decided to take the tray from the room anyway without permission. Despite many people telling me this is not standard protocol, this was somehow my fault.
Cleaning staff also have a need to put the CB radios on full volume as they clean outside your door.
When I called to complain about this I found out on checkout that I was charged on the card on file without permission at the time I made the complaint call. I had planned to pay cash and informed them on arrival, to settle the bill, instead they withdrew the payment from my social security account without my permission. Another example of another manager telling me this is odd, and shouldn't have happened. Things happened, more than once, and there was no genuine apology, or any remedy, the primary issue I have with the staff.
Instead they offered a "Its more your fault for not reinforcing your previous requests with the do not disturb sign."
I now have service charges for the automatic payment from this account for my electric bill that did not go though, because funds I wanted to reserve for this particular account were taken by the staff. I run a different kind budget system than most.
Also the hot-tub for the main area had more stuff (bugs, tree parts, ect) floating around than I have seen at any hotel. It was also only accessible by going thru a cold water pool. And the hot tub was luke-warm, with other guests walking around looking for heated vents, to no avail. and leaving.
One of the life guards on duty never looked up from game running on his phone.
The country club area was open due to the renovations on the main hotel pools, which was far better than the main hotel. I do not recall being notified at all upon booking that the pool area was under construction. One of the reasons we picked this was because the kids liked how the pools looked.
We also had a wonderful view at breakfast at the azul restaurant of a green tarp covered construction fence. Placed to cover the entire window. I do not dress as if I have wealth intentionally. When you have wealth, there isn't a need to do anything but be comfortable, and stay at places that are comfortable and up to the standard you came to pay for and expect.
It was clear that this resulted in different treatment, which I am sadly used to. I did not appreciate the "its 25 bucks for the buffet", almost in question form, as if I would not be able to cover such a price. All other guests had a view, with plenty of other tables open with one as well. I shouldn't have to ask to move for a view.
I wont be returning, there are plenty of other resorts who have a better sense of customer service. To be clear I wont accept a compensation, I don't need it, I just will forward up the ladder as any company should know where they are under-performing, and post reviews as a warning for others of potential issues.
Assuming someone on Social security may not have the funds, and charge the social security account to verify, is a problem (a federal one that affects every retiree and disabled SSDI recipient - see section 207 of social security act), especially when your net worth is still in the millions. So much for the 40 person family gathering for x-mas I wanted to arrange.
This trip was intended to scout the hotel out, I did, they failed, and I am now on to the next resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience the newest level of luxury in the Southwest at Tucson's iconic Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa. This AAA Four-Diamond resort, beautifully situated in the lush foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains, has undergone a $305 million resort-wide rejuvenation. The result is a more contemporary, personalized flare to the resort's renowned elegance that exceeds expectations and fulfills every guests needs. Each of the 487 spacious guest rooms (including 25 expansive suites) have been meticulously reappointed, with attention to the smallest details, to provide the most relaxing and convenient space to unwind. A perfect getaway for couples, families or corporate retreats, The Westin La Paloma Resort offers world-class amenities including five re-imagined resort swimming pools and the 177a€™ Sidewinder water-slide; 27 holes of Jack Nicklaus Signature golf; the full-service, restorative Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spa; WestinWORKOUT Fitness Center; Kids Club; and 8 exceptional dining options. Just 25 minutes from the Tucson International Airport, The Westin La Paloma Resort is conveniently located near art galleries, shopping, and a wide variety of signature destination attractions and dining. Courtesy transportation is provided for guests via new Mercedes Sprinters to the upscale La Encantada shopping center. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Prestigia, Travel Republic (UK), Priceline, Ebookers, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin La Paloma Hotel Tucson
- Westin Tucson
- Westin La Paloma Tucson Arizona
- Tucson Westin
- Westin La Paloma Resort And Spa Tucson, Arizona