“Nice facilties, shame no atmosphere, mediocre staff”

Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Nice facilties, shame no atmosphere, mediocre staff”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Having just spent 7 days previously at a similar type hotel in Phoenix which was truly excellent, by comparison, the Westin La Paloma was 3rd rate. Nice facilities but with few people staying, there was lots of space but no atmosphere. The breakfast buffet selection was very limited cp. to the hotel in Phoenix and the final straw was waiting 20 minutes to place a lunch restaurant order, with only 5 other tables occupied - not acceptable. Occassional habit of staff complaining about work which shouldn't happen. Views of the hills are great. Bottom line - the management needs to visit an excellent hotel to see how it should be done as it has excellent potential.

Room Tip: Overlooking the golf course
Green Features: Allegedly under environmental banner, for $5 a day to the guest, they don't clean your room - really just a way of saving staff costs.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David G
Ops_Mgr85, Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Thank you for having been our guest at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. I appreciate your feedback and constructive criticism. I understand that the distractions and inconsistent service you received are certainly not up to the standard that you would expect from a proper of our caliber. Your feedback is a gift that will allow us to focus efforts for continued improvement in the most productive way possible. I sincerely hope we will be able to welcome you back for an even better experience in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 19 November 2013

It's a beautiful hotel and the mountain views are amazing! The different pool areas are great and the restaurants too. I went to the gym everyday and they have excellent classes and equipment. Everyone at the hotel was very nice and attentive.

Room Tip: The rooms with the mountain view are amazing!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Thank you for sharing your review of the many great amenities we have to offer at our Resort. I’m glad to read you had a chance to use the Westin Workout Fitness Room and join our classes each day. I look forward to seeing you back, renewing by the pool or at The Red Door Spa after a revitalizing workout. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Washington DC
Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel is terrific with its generous pool(s) ,tennis,and golf. The main hotel is comfortable while most of the rooms are in buildings within a short walk. The view from the foothills is great. One really needs a car to go for hikes and eat in many nearby restaurants. No major drawbacks for this retreat

Room Tip: get a room in G or E building
Green Features: One can ask not to change sheets which is a very green thing to do.
1 Thank EuropeLover_9
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you for sharing your review. I’m glad you had a very relaxing visit while enjoying our resort amenities. I look forward to having you return for a retreat in the very near future. An essential during your next stay is a visit to The Red Door Spa for continued renewal and rejuvenation. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Ny
Reviewed 16 November 2013

My stay at the westin was awesome. The view was breathtaking, the staff was great. They answered every question i asked. If i needed something it was never too much. I stayed in the "E" building, an i was always asked if i needed a ride to my room. Waking up and seeing the view was Priceless. Mr.James,Patrick and Dextor very sweet guys..if you needed the shuttle, they got it foryou. We did get very familiar with Safeway. Lol. Overall great place for family.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank shortylow
Thank you for sharing. I’m delighted to read your family had an awesome visit. We all enjoy pleasing our guests and this reflects with the eager, intuitive interactions you observed during your stay. This is the service The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa is noted for and that we continue to consistently deliver. I look forward to having you and your family return soon. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The grounds are beautiful and the scenery is breathtaking. My room was clean and appeared newly renovated. Design OK. My concern with this hotel is the AWFUL SERVICE! Consistently AWFUL. I travel frequently and enjoy staying in the nicest of hotels (some of which have included very nice Westin properties). I expect excellence! This place really needs to work on improving their service. Check in took almost 1 HOUR and I was amongst a long line of other flustered guests waiting to be checked in. Room service took FOREVER and when I did receive my meal my chicken was EXTREMELY DRY and even with all that time they still managed to miss part of my order. I'm usually pretty lenient and try to be understanding in most travel situations, but this place REALLY needs to do an overhaul in the area of service!! I'm not the only one - I've spoken with several other guests who have had similar complaints about the service. Westin La Paloma, I know you HAVE to be hearing all of these complaints. Hopefully you'll pay attention and address these serious issues very soon. Thank you.

2 Thank 1stClass76
Ops_Mgr85, Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for having been our guest at The Westin La Paloma. The service experiences that you describe are certainly not the standard to which we aspire nor that our guests have come to expect from our resort. Our team is working together every day to ensure excellence in every service encounter. Specific and candid feedback is a gift that our team will use towards continued improvements in the specific areas you identify. I sincerely hope you will return in the future to enjoy more of the great things you enjoyed and an excellent service experience as well.
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

I submitted a previous review that might have been a touch harsh. We have had a great time as usual and the staff is always outstanding. The food is excellent the grounds are gorgeous and had fun watching my bears lose yesterday, lol.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank charsoldest
Jacqueline M, Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Thank you for the kind follow-up review. We are sorry your bears lost, but at least you had fun!
Aurora, Canada
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The first thing you will probably will say when you see the place is ¨Great:. Yes, the outside look and the landscaping and the view is amazing. But as soon as you step in the lobby... it is a different story... it looks so dark an empty (and we were there when the place was fully booked)... it is not about the people... it has hardly any decor, and it looks so dark.
It is only at the time of check out that I found out that there were 2 stores hidden in the corner behind the front desk ( the stores are also not happy about that new location given after the so expensive renovations as they are losing business). And there is only one real restaurant for the entire place that offers hardly any choice for your evening meal (and the chicken is really dry). They tell you that they have a couple of them but it is just those little bar around the pool.
I also was very surprised to see that there was not concierge on duty after 5pm. Check in is at 4pm.... so evening time is busy with people arriving and wanted to make their plan for the next day....well you can't ..so you will think to get up early to be able to get those answers you looking for... but don't rush she is not here before 9:30am... So forget about doing reservations for the day as it is too late most of the time. Usually the concierges are there on the busiest time which is the evenings and early mornings, during the day people are gone .... Oh! and if you gone during the day and thinking to enjoy the slide with the kids when you get back make sure to be back before 5pm as it closes at that time....
We had no issues with the staff they we all very helpful...when they were on duty...
I heard that management is trying to save money by cutting the hours of the staff... that is not the way of doing it as you make many people very unhappy and they won't come back... (so you lost even more money).
The rooms are spread out all over the property which is OK with me but it is a real maze to find your way. The room also looked very dark and I didn't like it ( but this is just my taste). The toilet had hair sticked on the side and long yellow stripes in the front...
Would I come back ? No. It looks like a nice place but .... it is just like putting the nicest plate on a table for your guests but with no food in it....
I'm used to go to Westin in many part of the world but this one is a big disappointment especially about the service (may be they getting into a new concept of self-serve ?).

Room Tip: rooms close to the main building if you do not like to walk but rooms further away are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank lifelight
Thank you for having been our guest atThe Westin La Paloma. Your observations are well-received and our team continues to strive for excellence in every service interaction. Progress in these areas is underway and I believe your future experiences at our resort will be exceptional. We did not relocate the retail stores during the renovation and they remain near one of our busiest lobby/guest room access points. It is important that our associates communicate all the services and resources at the resort to our guests and I will ensure this continues to improve.