“My amazing trip”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Eugene, Oregon
“My amazing trip”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

My husband and I recently traveled to Tucson and stayed at The Westin La Paloma... we have NOTHING but great things to say. First off, the resort is absolutely breath- taking with the views of the Catalina Mountains. The rooms were spectacular, I'm still dreaming of sleeping in those beds!!!! We are from the Pacific Northwest and absolutely were in awe we would be at the pool tanning in the middle of the day in January!!!

We enjoyed breakfast at Azul during our stay and had the pleasure of having Kelly as our server each time! She was so attentive each and every time and even took the time to get to know us! She recommended taking a drive up to Mt Lemmon for the views and then told us to stop by the "Cookie Cabin" for some chili and dessert after doing a little hiking and riding the ski lift to the top and boy was she right!!! The ride up there was beautiful and the views were stunning! If you are in Tucson and looking for something to do Mt Lemmon is a great designation. Thank you Kelly we hope to see you again some day.

Every person we encountered at La Paloma was so friendly we felt immediately at home. We can not wait to plan a couples trip with some friends to show them our new favorite destination!! Thank you Westin La Paloma, you have a new found place in our hearts!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your visit to The Westin La Paloma and Mount Lemon. As Tucson has such great, warm weather I hope you may break away from the Northwest winter cold to enjoy more sunshine at our pools. Tucson has many wonderful attractions to keep you exploring for days Contact us directly as we would be delighted to assist with creating a vacation package for you and your friends. I look forward to welcoming you back to Tucson and The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

We opted for the non-service option hoping to do the environment some good... Well, this option means no service.

We called in at 1045pm asking for extra towels and then again at 1130pm. After over an hour after our original call, there is still no one here. It's late how busy can a place be???

Also called the front earlier in the day to ask about new towels and they said the staff had till 430 to give us those. I said come over at 4 and they never came!

So, come here again? No!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Mckinneykeith
Ops_Mgr85, Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you for having been our guest at The Westin La Paloma. The "Make A Green Choice" program is slightly different from other programs that allow guests to re-use linens and towels. MAGC is a program that eliminates all cleaning of the room since the cleaning of the shower, tub and floors is also a large water-user. The election of MAGC should not impact the responsiveness of our associates to requests from our guests and I regret that your experience was not good in this regard. I assure you that our guests have come to expect a much higher level of service at The Westin La Paloma because of the responsiveness of our associates. I sincerely hope that you will reconsider staying with us in the future so that we can provide a more typically wonderful visit.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We spent about 10 days at the resort the week of July 4th, 2013 and loved it. Firstly, customer service was amazing. Christina Caballero, who assisted went above and beyond . The resort has fabulous pools and the location is central to the North side of Tucson...Room was comfortable and food was very good. Beds just heavenly. Everyone at the resort were super nice making us feel comfortable immediately. This is my second stay there and we will be back if we could bring our dog the next time!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Rosemary S
Thank you for sharing your holiday experience with us. We are pet friendly, so you may bring your pet. Christina may assist you with your next reservation and ensure you have another wonderful stay. I look forward to having you return in 2014. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
East Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Beautiful resort, very friendly staff. Relaxed and comfortable. Rooms very peaceful, beds "heavenly". Zach at Azulla restaurant was excellent waiter making our dinner memorable. The prompt service and delicious food severed with a unbeatable view was a nice welcoming gift. First time to Tuscon but won't be our last.

Room Tip: We had a mountain view room, loved the sunsets.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Lisa K Z
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your first trip to Tucson and The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. Our “Westin Heavenly Beds & Baths” provide a night of luxurious comfort. I invite you back for your next vacation to Tucson. There are many more amenities for you to enjoy at our Resort. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 22 January 2014

On January 17th I attended the SAHBA Awards Luncheon at the Westin La Paloma. The luncheon was incredible. The room was spacious and beautifully set, the meal was delicious. Our tables server was William Arce, William was incredible. His attention to detail and quality of service was quite impressive. I have not had service of this caliber provided by and individual since Tucson's only 5 star restaurant, the Tack Room, closed years ago.
William is an excellent example of what quality service should be. Service with a smile, kindness, and attention to detail that makes everyone feel special. thank you William and Thank you La Paloma for a wonderful Awards Luncheon.
Kathryn

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Kathryn H
Thank you for sharing your compliments. Our associates take great pride in providing exceptional service to our guests. I look forward to having you return soon with friends and family and let us delight you with another wonderful dining experience. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We are having the best time here at La Paloma! We came to escape the cold of Colorado for a January weekend and were happily greeted by mid-70 degree weather. It's as if we were transported to a tropical vacation almost, yet still not far from home. The property is beautiful and quite convenient to the Saguaro National Park which is perfect for hiking, sightseeing from the tram, or a little of both.

Our 6 year old son had an absolute blast exploring the desert, then swimming and sliding at the pool and later at the on-site kids club where he enjoyed stargazing through a telescope and making s'mores with his counselors, Nikko, David and Erik. He was having so much fun, when we came to pick him up, he asked to leave so he could stay longer! The kids club gives parents a chance to have some couple time which is invaluable when you are on vacation.

We are feeling so lucky to be here and could easily come back again soon.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Susan E
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you for sharing your fun family weekend at La Paloma. I’m glad everyone enjoyed their adventure to the Saguaro National Park along with the pool activities. Our Westin Kids Club provides great activities for the kids to learn and play. As The Kids Club is on site this provides more time for the parents to relax knowing the kids are close by and having a great time. As the winter cold continues, come back and stay to enjoy more of our sunny, warm days. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Groveland, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 January 2014

I was truly concerned on my previous stay at WLP that the resort was heading in the wrong direction with little hope that things would reverse. When I heard shortly after that visit that a new owner was taking over and was poised to pour a lot of money into the resort, I was hopeful. Now after my most recent visit, I can state without hesitation that the WLP is definitely back. The 40 year old sprawling property has a total facelift well underway and a whole new energy to it. I could see as soon as I checked in that the paved areas had been overhauled and that there was fresh paint and carpeting everywhere. When I got to my room in Building A, as I requested, it too was totally redone. It was as spacious as ever, but everything in the room was fresh and new. The bathrooms at this resort are amazing. They are so luxurious and relaxing. The Westin Heavenly beds are the most comfotable beds in the universe. Now when I was there the entire pool complex was being redone and there were temporary pool accomodations over at the country club. I am not a big pool goer, and I knew this was going to be the case when I booked, so I was not put out. Some guests were and I believe they were compensated for this necessary inconvenience. This resort is made up of a series of separated buildings, that house about 500 rooms and it all gives you the uncrowded feeling of ample space. Rooms at the back of the resort can have beautiful mountain views. Rooms on the sides can abut the spectacular golf course. The buildings in the center of the resort can overlook the NEW pool area. So there is a room for every taste and none of them will give you a bad look. I recommend having at least one meal at the Azul Restaurant. If you can get a table on the patio at breakfast, I guarantee you will not enjoy a more delicious breakfast with a better view. The mountains will make your frittata taste especially great. I am a golfer so I get out and enjoy the 27 hole Jack Nicklaus golf course that winds around the resort and associated neighborhoods. It is a great, desert design and it too has been brought back to greatness by the new ownership and the management team at Troon Golf. If you are not a golfer, WLP has that brand new pool complex, a large tennis center and a world class Elizabeth Arden Spa. The resort is located just north of downtown Tucson in the foothills. It is very easy to get to anything else in the area and it is in a very safe and friendly part of town. The staff is always happy to help you in every way and make recommendations. I still enjoy the Guadalajara Grill, that a WLP staffer urged me to try about 10 years ago. It is awesome Mexican fare. As far as I am concerned, there is no better place to stay in Tucson than the WLP. The resort has come back to its full glory and that will bring me back again and again.

Room Tip: Request the view - mountain, pool, golf course or garden - that best suits your taste. They will mak...
Green Features: The green option that lets you opt out of housekeeping and get a reward is very popular.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank DT705
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 21 January 2014
Thank you for your continued loyalty and sharing your review of our rejuvenated Resort. The energy from this revitalization resonates in every area of the hotel. As you noted not only were the guestrooms completely remodeled,in addition the golf course, fitness center, pools, restaurants and meeting rooms have also been renewed to a new level of luxury. I’m delighted to read we turned your hopeful thoughts into a positive conclusion. We will be celebrating our 28th Anniversary this month. We may have looked 40, but not anymore! I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager