“Weekend in Tucson”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Clearwater, FL
“Weekend in Tucson”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I stayed here for a weekend in early May, building A. My room and bathroom was large - loved the bathroom. It had great lighting, with separate tub and shower. The little refrigerator was noisy, but not enough to disrupt sleep. I had a balcony, but couldn't see much because of all the trees. The pool area was great until they closed the adult area for a private party. They set up extra chairs at the main pool AFTER the adult area was closed (no, not the same chairs). Better coordination would have been nice so there were not a bunch of people standing around with no seats. All the new seats were set up in the grass/shade under trees shedding little yellow flowers.

The service at the pool bar was excellent. The mister system kept it nice and cool. Service around the pool area is hit or miss - long waits for the return. We took the hotel shuttle to the mall for dinner. The shuttle was fast and friendly. They give a number to call when you're ready to be picked up. The only hotel restaurant meal was breakfast on Sunday. Ordered off the menu, not the buffet. Very tasty, great service. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Diathoney
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 27 June 2014
Thank you for choosing La Paloma for your getaway weekend in Tucson. I look forward to having you return to spend a relaxing stay enjoying our pools. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (780)
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We were here for the State Bar Convention. There have been numerous staff members with great customer service:
Vladimir has worked here for 17 years. He was my cart driver. He showed me the whole resort which helped orient me. He is a great resort ambassador. He deserves a raise!
We met Russell Michel. He is in charge of all of the restaurants. He has created great menus & hired wonderful chefs & staff. He made great menu suggestions. He has a real passion for excellence! Much better food than years ago.
At Azul restaurant , we had the best scallop dinner & best BBQ dinner we have ever had! My husband also liked the steak.
All restaurant staff were great. Especially Chef Jason and Zach.
I wasn't feeling well when we checked in. Jose sent me complimentary ginger ale! Very thoughtful & empathetic.
Note: bring suntan lotion & hats. Not enough shade at the pool.
Tuna melt was bland, the bread fairly hard, not enough cheese. Boring. This was the only item we had that wasn't fantastic!

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view. Patios & balconies are great. There is a nice walking path above the wat...
Green Features: Comfy bed. I loved that they had regular wastebaskets & recycling baskets. That is fantastic! The property is very conscious of environmental issues.
1 Thank Julie D
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
I’m delighted to read your great review. I thank you for sharing your accolades of our service and for taking the time to acknowledge everyone that provided you with a personal, instinctive stay for you during the convention. I hope we will see you back soon for a vacation to enjoy new, unique culinary delights created by our chefs. Eat well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed here as a convention was booked her. Were it not for the convention, I would not stay here and in the future will stay off property.

I will begin by mentioning that I tried to arrange for lunch to be delivered to one of the breakout rooms on Wednesday as I was working at the convention with a group of twelve people and we had a lunchtime planning session before our breakout. When I called on Monday, I was put throughout to a message that indicated the catering staff was in attaining but to leave a message and a call would be returned. Not hearing anything, I called back in the afternoon and left a message in another persons voicemail. On Tuesday, not hearing anything I called back and left a message for yet another person. Finally on Tuesday afternoon I spoke with someone and yes, it was taken care of.

I checked in with my wife, and we walked the property. The best thing is the property, as it is well taken care of a beautiful. Our room was nice, although begin on the back of the property it seemed a little noisy from the road. I would not stay in the F, G or H building if it can be avoided.

We met a business associate for dinner at the Azul restaurant on property. There were no specials, and while we all found something the selections were somewhat limited. Prices were to be expected for a resort.

The room itself was fine, but nothing special.

Before I continue, my conference consisted of approximately 200 or 300 people, and the place was far from booked. I never saw all of the table at the restaurant filled at the same time, and probably never over half filled at any one time.

The next day after my conference, we decided to stay in the room and have room service. However, when I called I was asked if I could hold a brief moment. That brief moment lasted over ten minutes. We simply wanted salads with chicken, and when I asked how long it would take I was told that they were quoting people over one and one-half hours! Really? I hung up and decided to go to the restaurant to get take out just as the cable went out! I called the front desk but the phone wrong and wrong unanswered.

We thought that perhaps it was a problem at the property but when we walked past the bar it was apparent that the cable there worked fine. We went to the front desk to make a complaint and they said that they were sorry and would look right into it. I mentioned the problem wight he phones and room service, and was told that they would make a note of it. Nothing in terms of customer care and certainly no offer.

We went to the restaurant again, and much like other properties the dishes offered in room service are not available in the restaurant! So as opposed to simple light meals we ate a full meal.

After dinner we went back to the front desk to check on the cable and were told that they had to re-boot the router and that it was property wide. Remember the bar? I was all told that a message was left for us by the manager on duty.

When we got back to room I listened with interest as the MOD explained that the problem was property wide and that they would get to it as soon as was possible, but that we could still watch "Lodgenet" and rent a movie. REALLY?! How about offering us a movie or better yet, getting your act together with service.

There is obviously a problem with service and despite the training that they were going through Monday and Tuesday, they have a lot to learn. I would caution anyone from staying here and paying over $200 a night (which includes the taxes and a "resort fee" to pay for a gym you may not use or stale coffee in your room that other places give you). There are many other, better properties in the area to choose from and I would suggest that you do so for now. If you have a conference here, commute!

Room Tip: If you have to, stay in the E building or close tot he main building as the others are on a busy str...
Green Features: I like the idea. I am concerned that in practice it is truly not so environmentally friendly!
2 Thank MRMED8R
Thank you for having been our guest at The Westin La Paloma. The difficulty that you had in booking your conference lunch should not have occurred even while our conference and catering management teams were involved in training on a new computer system to better manage our business. I am delighted that your arrangements were handled. Thank you for your feedback on the variety of the dinner menu. It is certainly possible for our kitchen to prepare the room service items for the dining room and I regret that your request was not accommodated, and that no proactive and empathetic offer was made to assist you by the lounge staff. Training for exactly this kind of interaction is planned for the coming weeks. The cable outage we encountered affected the entire East ridge of the resort. The cable system in the lounge is completely separate. Certainly a complimentary movie was in order, and an apology for the poor phone service you encountered. As difficult as this is to accept, the experience you describe is not what our guests typically encounter and it would be a pleasure to have you as our guest in the future and to provide a more rejuvenating and relaxing stay. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Everyone was very helpful but I'd like to single out 2 associates who deserve recognition.
Shawn in catering went above and beyond in helping with my food needs during the Arizona State Bar Convention.
Joe in parking helped me with temporary handicap parking. Allowed me to park by the entrance for 30 minutes. Really appreciated it in the 106 heat.

1 Thank Julie H
Thank you for sharing your great praises of Shawn and Joe. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we all hope to see you again very soon. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed at Westin La Paloma last week for my friend's wedding where all of her out of town guest where recommended to stay. The resort itself and the scenery of this location is amazing! I was very impressed with the pools, especially the "adults only" area which was actually reinforced! While staying at the resort I also had the opportunity to eat at two of the restaurants, Poppy Kitchen and Azul. The meals I had at both of these restaurants was fantastic. The only negative comments I have about my experience is that being a guest for a wedding, that had rooms blocked off in advanced, I was disappointed my room was not located near other guests. I was actually a bridesmaid for this wedding and all of my friends (other bridesmaids and bride) were scattered across the resort. This wouldn't be a huge deal if the resort was set up like most "hotels" but the rooms at the La Paloma are VERY spread out. It actually took me 15 min to walk from my room to the Brides room. I was also a little turned off by the wrist bands that they ask you to wear at the pool to "prove" that you are a guest. I understand why they try reinforcing this but at the same time I really didn't want a tan line on my wrist before my friends wedding! I also found it a little tacky.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jennifer N
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay for the wedding. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and I thank you for sharing. I look forward to having you back to La Paloma for more pool time during the day, followed by a special evening dining at AZuL and Poppy Kitchen with your friends and family. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Phoenix, AZ, United States
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

There is no denying that the resort is beautiful - tucked up against the mountain and with plenty of large windows and great views. The pool area is also massive and well-designed for families and adults alike and the golf privileges and a great on-site workout facility are also big pluses. That said, the Westin La Paloma misses the mark on two rather important points. First, the beds were awful. I travel enough to know that every hotel beds will not be as comfortable as my own, but I've been put up last minute in hotels near airports after having a flight cancelled with significantly better beds than these. Second, the food options in the pool area (the most enjoyable place to hang out on the entire property) left a lot be desired. I don't mind when good food is a tad overpriced nor when mediocre food is reasonably priced, but the limited selection of subpar food for an establishment of this quality at premium prices was a big disappointment. All in all, it is a great property - it's just not as great from top to bottom as they'd like to have you believe.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for having been our guest at The Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa. I regret that the Westin Heavenly Bed experience did not meet your expectations and preferences. Certainly it has been a great success with a majority of our guests, yet each guest is an individual when it comes to their perfect sleep. Our culinary team strives to offer a selection of items that will be approachable, healthy, and locally inspired. We will continue to strive to offer better variety and options that suit a wider range of tastes. I sincerely hope that you can return to La Paloma for the features that you enjoyed, and that we will exceed your expectations as we continue to improve on our service and products.Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Our stay at Westin La Paloma was amazing! Absolutely beautiful scenery with outstanding service! Our server Angelica was really friendly & great to be around. Couldn't ask for better service! Will definitely return again very soon

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RAiN003
Thank you. I’m delighted to read how much you enjoyed your stay at La Paloma. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager