“Five star La Paloma, Tucson, AZ”

Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Ranked #16 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
“Five star La Paloma, Tucson, AZ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Jose Cebellos at front desk guided us with room configurations, went above and beyond to assist me with emailing and faxing important papers, warm and welcoming always, extended assist with child care and a gift pass, sent us welcome return basket and his presence exuded comfort, exquisite hospitality and ability to resolve any problem or question. Never in my 60+ years of travel have I ever experienced this top level of service and kindness. Jose Flores at front desk was also very welcoming and assisted us with directions, kids club schedules, information and guidance. Mr. Flores was exceptional. The bellhops were an amazing crew. Phyliss, whom I recalled from previous trip, helped us figure out how to handle luggage storage while awaiting our rooms to be readied on check in and how to navigate getting out swim suits etc from our luggage to wait by pool with 2 rambunctious kids. She always has a smile, is quick to retrieve our car and hand us bottles of water. She's truly an amazing employee. Brad took us all over resort at the conclusion of our first visit to look at room configurations in advance for our recent visit. He was so informative. Tommy became fast friends with us and our boys, transferring us and belongings to golf cart transport upon returning from dinner with one child usually asleep. Our oldest child became his side kick, riding shotgun in the golf cart (if he behaved). Together with Joe and Dexter, Tommy detected a leak from our rental car when we returned from dinner one night. They figured out with their expertise that it was steering wheel fluid and guided me through dealing with the rental car company for replacement. If they had not caught this, we could have been in great peril (children included). The bellhops were great sources of wonderful dinner recommendations. During the day, the boys with the babysitter would interview various staff for suggestions. They had a ball at your resort. Our recent trip to Tucson was a very difficult and trying one for us personally. We specifically chose La Paloma for our stay for their superb service, guidance and comfort. We desperately needed comfort, pampering and resolution while dealing during the day with stressful situation. La Paloma provided all of that and more. I will be forever grateful for their staff and support of me and my family. The fact that La Paloma is environmentally green was an added bonus. Love the golf carts. The landscape and resort layout was stunning in Southwestern style. The many(5) pools (one with swim up bar and another with waterslide for kids)and waterscapes exquisite. Restaurant, Azul, was both scenic and superb. Just saw in magazine listing it as one of top 10 fabulous restaurants in US with incredible view. Our babysitter had an amazing massage in their spa. If time permitted, we would have done same. La Paloma is an amazing resort that I highly recommend for anyone visiting the Tucson area.

Room Tip: Ask Jose at front desk for options that fulfill your needs.
Green Features: Beyond anything I've ever seen, including dog eco friendly practice!!
2 Thank CarlieB1019
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your gracious accolades of our associates. I’m sorry to read that this trip was during a stressful time. I’m delighted to know we provided you and your boys a home away from home. I do hope you will return soon to Tucson and spend time together filled with fun and great memories for years to come. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (772)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

This is a very large resort. It is now well marked and way to miss turn off main road to find entrance.
We stayed 3 nights as this was a beautiful. Scenic location on a hill overlooking Tucson city.
The hotel is close to some shopping centers, and to the canyon, but far from downtown Tucson and points further south, such as Pima, Titan Silo and caverns.
We liked the large room with small refrigerator, and large bathroom and private balcony
It was very quiet in Jan and much too chilly to use the outdoor pool.
The parking is far from some of the rooms. We were given a ride in a golf cart when we arrivd to help get our suitcases to our room.
This hotel is clean, quiet and has recently been updated.
All rooms have an outside entrance.

Room Tip: Ask for room closer to parking lot. It took almost 7 minutes to get to lot. There is another parking...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CanadaKids
Thank you for sharing your review. I hope you may return for a serene weekend this fall. We’ll have warm days, great for pool time and cool evenings, perfect for S’more’s by the AZuL fire pits. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I recently went here with my family for a short vacation. Being there during the week in the summer, it was almost empty. It was like having the place to ourselves. My sister, brother in law, niece and I all stayed together in a master suite. It was more than enough room for all of us and it was great to have 1.5 bathrooms. I ended up sleeping on the pull out couch and found even that was comfortable. I will say...the heavenly crib that was provided for my 6 month old niece was not heavenly. It wasn't horrible, but not as nice as ones I have seen at other hotels. The grounds are well kept and the rooms have been nicely renovated. We also rented a cabana while we were there. It was nice to have cover from the sun for the baby and a fridge to keep drinks in. The morning crew that was poolside was fantastic. The guys at the towel bar checked us in and set us up right away. We were provided with (a few extra)towels, sunscreen, chapstick and a fruit bowl. Our waiter, Wayne, was great! He came by often to check on us, but wasn't intrusive. Jeff Y, who helped me book the cabana, came by and introduced himself to us. It was really nice. The afternoon crew was disappointing. Our waiter walked by several times before actually stopping by to see if we need anything and then never came back. We actually had to walk over the to poolside bar to get our drinks. Not the end of the world. Just disappointing. Otherwise, the stay was wonderful. All of the staff was nice and professional. A few even remembered details about us and asked how things went (ex dinner at Bianco) Just a tip: if you are an SPG elite member and pick the free internet for your "welcome gift", know that when you go to sign in and it tries to charge you, go ahead and pick a tier...any tier. (they charge for more than 3 devices to connect) At the end of your stay, all of the charges are removed before your bill is created.

Room Tip: I recommend a higher floor and in the A, B or C bldgs. They are close to the main bldg and the pool...
Green Features: The hotel offered a $5/day food and beverage credit for every day you declined having your room cleaned. Just make sure you ask about it. You don't automatically get the vouchers, you have to ask for them on your own.
1 Thank carolinaRN2002
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for choosing La Paloma for your family vacation and sharing your review. We look forward to seeing everyone back together, relaxing in a Cabana by our pools. Play well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Huntington Beach, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

I had to think long and hard as to why I didn't rate this hotel 5 stars. There was no one compelling reason. Registration was polite, they agreed to put us in a golf course view room (which I think normally costs more). They even agreed to put us in the building where our friends were already checked in. But the room wouldn't be available "for awhile" which turned out to be two hours.

It should be noted that the two hours coincided with the regular 4 pm check-in time. I guess what I was thinking could have been offered was a room near our friends with a great view but which was ready for occupancy. So blame me for asking for special consideration.

The room was great, the end building overlooking one of the 9th hole greens, adjacent to the golf pro shop. Since we were playing golf in the morning, that was perfect. But I found the whole multiple buildings, two or three stories high, spread across the property to be annoying when it came to parking.

We could have opted to check our bags, self parked or valet parked in the large, general parking area in front of the hotel lobby and have the bell man bring them to our room later, tipping for the privilege. Or we could park as near our room as possible which, in our case, meant in the La Paloma Country Club tennis court parking area giving us a small hike up a hill to our room (but afforded us easy access to our golf clubs in the morning). They didn't explain the parking options. It was our friends who had been there before who clued us in to the tennis parking lot being available to us. Again, my fault for not asking or their fault for not explaining.

The rooms were spacious and well appointed as you would expect from a Westin. The bathrooms offered double sinks, a shower or a tub, and good lighting behind a pocket door. The tub was narrow making me believe not a lot of folks made use of it.

This being the middle of the summer when good rates could be had, we were not surprised when our friends said reception told them about 300 folks had checked out on this Sunday, only 80 new guests were checking in. Part of the delay in getting our room was attributable to Westin's late check-out policy on Sundays; 3:00 pm.

And part of the reason the hotel was so full for the weekend of a hot summers day is because they have an extensive pool area complete with cabanas and a water slide. As crowded as the pool was on Sunday when we arrived, there was still plenty of chairs albeit away from the various pools.

So here is another sore point. Guests are required to check in poolside to get a wrist band and a towel. They check you off a list of the guests. Non-guests in theory are not allowed. On this Sunday there either were guests who did not check in, or they were non-guests. In some cases I suspect they were friends of guests who decided to enjoy the pool. And there were a lot of them.

More importantly, there is a pool designated as "adults only." One large non-guest family (ten family members of various ages) decided this was their pool. So even the youngest member with his diaper was being carried around the pool by a teenager, the young mother nearby oblivious to rules of this pool. To make matters worse, there was no policing of the policy (from what I could see) for either the adults only pool or the restriction of guests only.

The large, sprawling complex is well maintained. If you are from out of the area you will enjoy the various desert plants that are located throughout the hotel property. The Starbucks in the lobby was convenient. We enjoyed a novel dinner at Poppy Kitchen one night. I would think this is a great property for conventions. At the end of the day, however, I just felt that some basic 4 star qualities were missing. Hence the comment, they "coulda been a contenda."

Room Tip: Golf course for serenity and sunset.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking time and sharing your thoughts. We appreciate the feedback and I look forward to having you stay with us in the near future. We will work very hard to earn all 5 stars next time! Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
AZ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

This is the 2nd year we have stayed here. Great place to relax. Pools are the main attraction. Played golf at the golf course. It is in excellent shape, the staff are all pleasant and very helpful. One person that is really 1st class was Sarah, one of the bartenders at the Azul lounge. She was very attentive to her patrons and very knowledgeable. Enjoyed the time that she was bartender.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah and I thank you for sharing. We look forward to having you back to play another round of golf, followed by a cool beverage in our AZuL lounge. Play well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

fantastic views fantastic courteous staff especially at the poolside bar!! Quiet and relaxing easy to get anywhere. Highly recommend for a weekend getaway or a weeklong vacation and seeing the surroundings tourist stops.

Room Tip: ask for a golf course view
Green Features: gives bonus westin points for not having linens changed daily.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you and I hope to see you back for a longer tranquil stay. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Sierra Vista, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We were here for an industry wine tasting. Great rooms, great service (from Erin at the bar at least), great room with a view. This would have been a great stay minus one event. We were in the hot tub with about 6 other people. We didnt know them, we were simply enjoying their company. It was about 815PM. A manager came out to tell us to keep it down because there are rooms above the waterfall. Really? Seriously? It was 815PM. No one in the pool was under 30 yrs old. Disappointed in management.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback about your stay. I am pleased to know that you enjoyed the resorts rooms and service. It is regrettable that the interaction with our associate while enjoying the hot tub left a negative impression on your experience. Our associates are frequently asked to intervene with sound from public spaces by guests in rooms nearby, who may prefer quiet enjoyment of their accommodation due to small children or other factors. I hope you will understand that this isolated incident is not a reflection of how much we value your business and appreciate your loyalty to Westin Hotels and Resorts. Please return soon to enjoy more of the many things you noted as great on this past stay. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager