“Fine Destination Resort, albeit with Mediocre Service”

Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa
Ranked #18 of 128 Hotels in Tucson
GreenLeadersBronze level
Tucson, AZ
“Fine Destination Resort, albeit with Mediocre Service”
Reviewed 31 August 2014

The La Paloma recently underwent a massive and much-needed renovation. The rooms are great, with upscale amenities (excellent bed, large HDTV, high quality bathroom fixtures). Although only minor upgrades were made in the pool complex, it is still in our view by far the best in Tucson, with both salt and fresh water pools, kiddie pool, whirlpool, water slide and a series of smaller, more intimate pools as well. Unfortunately, the staff leaves much to be desired. Maid service is spotty with, for example, no effort to replace shampoo and conditioner. You will work hard to get a smile from the front desk; they seem unusually taciturn. The pool attendants were much more interested in selling us a beverage than in helping us move lounge chairs from sun to shade. The telephone reservations office at the hotel, where we made our reservation, was annoying. They failed to tell us about a promotion that would have saved us some money and advised us that the restaurant had stopped offering a well-regarding Sunday brunch buffet. (They were wrong.) The one exception was the belman/parking staff that greet guests at the front door; they were very friendly and efficient. If you want a nice summer weekend in a fine resort, and if you want great pool facilities, this is the best place in Tucson. However, check the hotel's (not Westin's) website for specials that you won't find on the internet booking sites and the hotel's telephone reservations agent won't both to reveal to you even if you ask for their best price.

Room Tip: It's worth asking for a room with a mountain view.
Green Features: They don't seem to do much out of the ordinary.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Thank you for your loyalty to La Paloma. We appreciate your feedback and I am disappointed that we did not provide the friendly service that you received form our bellman throughout your stay. We look forward to having you return soon and I’m sure we will provide you with an outstanding visit with warm, efficient service. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (780)
Reviewed 31 August 2014

Walked in to a bloody hot room with half the outlets not working. Dialed 0 and the phone was answered IMMEDIATELY. They had a gentleman (name of Joe) over to our room in 5 minutes and he had the problems all resolved (exactly to our liking I might add) in less than 10 minutes, The man was so professional and knowledgeable, I wanted to hire him for my company. Alas I did not get him. But if you have an issue I hope you get Joe.

BTW the rest of the weekend was exceptional as well and we will be back.

Thanks Joe!

Room Tip: They have several options available when you book online using their site. I recommend that as you w...
Green Features: We got 1000 award points for skipping a day of house keeping. Sweet!
1 Thank Woody P
Joe and I thank you for sharing. We look forward to welcoming you back. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

Okay so the service is great and it's a really nice place but man do they like to charge you for everything they possibly can!!! I mean I knew that I was paying for a nice room and bed but $13.95 for WIFI a DAY!!!!! Come on. You can only have a maximum of 3 devices on the WIFI without paying unless you want another, then it's another $5.00 a day, PER DEVICE. Also paid $57.00 for 2 chicken baskets and stale nachos. Quiet exspensive.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 11 September 2014
Thank you for your feedback about the service you received while staying at The Westin La Paloma Resort & Spa, and for sharing your concerns about pricing. Our guest rooms offer 3 tiers of internet service, starting at $9.95 for up to 3 devices. This first tier of service is complimentary with payment of the resort service charge, which includes several other services and benefits. Additional bandwidth is offered for an additional fee. Many of our venues include the server’s gratuity in the total for the convenience of our guests while still offering guests an opportunity to modify the amount of gratuity provided. This sometimes creates a perception that the menus are priced higher. Our team works hard to provide value to our guests and competitive pricing in comparison to other Tucson resorts. I hope that the features and service you enjoyed will bring you back again and very soon! Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 30 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Westin La Paloma and had a great stay. The views are beautiful and the grounds are very well maintained. During our last night we sat outside the drive, just past the bell stand and in front of the water fountain, and the evening view was amazing. It was nice to sit and enjoy seeing all the city lights below. The pool area was huge and has a waterslide, hot spas, a cold spa with waterfalls, an adult only pool, and a swim up bar. Our visit was at the end of August so we had the whole place to ourselves! There were plenty of chairs and umbrellas and was not crowded at all which was a plus for us.

The staff really made our stay the best! From the moment we checked in till our day of departure, all staff interactions we had were fantastic. Everyone was very friendly and eager to assist. We were celebrating our anniversary and Denise from the Front Desk sent us an amenity on behalf of the staff. Very thoughtful! The bell staff was great and I believe Joe helped us get our bags to our room. He gave us a great overview of the property and was able to give us walking directions from our room to all the different parts of the resort. Sarah at the Azul Lounge was so friendly and gave us great suggestions for off property dining. We got to chat with her a little bit during our dinner in the lounge and she is just a wonderful individual!

The room we stayed in was spacious and the bathroom was very nice. They have the Heavenly Shower head which I could just stand under all day long. It is just so relaxing. I love the Heavenly beds and pillows as well. They make for a very restful sleep. The one and only downer we had was on the last night and it wasn't the resort's fault. I believe a family had checked into the room above us and it sounded like the kids were running and jumping loudly. It started in the early evening then again the next morning, to the point it woke me up. Once again, not the resort's fault and it wasn’t something they could control. I think I'll just request a higher floor during my next stay. I really cannot wait to come back! I had such a great stay and once again the staff was incredible! Thanks again for making our stay the absolute best!

1 Thank Lonsum55
You are most welcome and Happy Anniversary! We all thank you for sharing your praises of our associates and Resort. I hope you will be back to enjoy another wonderful and peaceful time at La Paloma. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed 28 August 2014

OMG! I didn't want to leave this place. The customer service is top notch. The rooms and pool are awesome. I went to the Red Door Spa and had a great massage. My husband went golfing and loved the course. Everyone was so accommodating. We received free parking. So relaxing. Worth every penny, and I will be back.

1 Thank chrissy022_2014
We wish you didn’t have to leave! Please give us a call, as we have great packages featuring golf and Spa. I hope you and your husband will return this fall for another relaxing weekend getaway. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Jose Cebellos at front desk guided us with room configurations, went above and beyond to assist me with emailing and faxing important papers, warm and welcoming always, extended assist with child care and a gift pass, sent us welcome return basket and his presence exuded comfort, exquisite hospitality and ability to resolve any problem or question. Never in my 60+ years of travel have I ever experienced this top level of service and kindness. Jose Flores at front desk was also very welcoming and assisted us with directions, kids club schedules, information and guidance. Mr. Flores was exceptional. The bellhops were an amazing crew. Phyliss, whom I recalled from previous trip, helped us figure out how to handle luggage storage while awaiting our rooms to be readied on check in and how to navigate getting out swim suits etc from our luggage to wait by pool with 2 rambunctious kids. She always has a smile, is quick to retrieve our car and hand us bottles of water. She's truly an amazing employee. Brad took us all over resort at the conclusion of our first visit to look at room configurations in advance for our recent visit. He was so informative. Tommy became fast friends with us and our boys, transferring us and belongings to golf cart transport upon returning from dinner with one child usually asleep. Our oldest child became his side kick, riding shotgun in the golf cart (if he behaved). Together with Joe and Dexter, Tommy detected a leak from our rental car when we returned from dinner one night. They figured out with their expertise that it was steering wheel fluid and guided me through dealing with the rental car company for replacement. If they had not caught this, we could have been in great peril (children included). The bellhops were great sources of wonderful dinner recommendations. During the day, the boys with the babysitter would interview various staff for suggestions. They had a ball at your resort. Our recent trip to Tucson was a very difficult and trying one for us personally. We specifically chose La Paloma for our stay for their superb service, guidance and comfort. We desperately needed comfort, pampering and resolution while dealing during the day with stressful situation. La Paloma provided all of that and more. I will be forever grateful for their staff and support of me and my family. The fact that La Paloma is environmentally green was an added bonus. Love the golf carts. The landscape and resort layout was stunning in Southwestern style. The many(5) pools (one with swim up bar and another with waterslide for kids)and waterscapes exquisite. Restaurant, Azul, was both scenic and superb. Just saw in magazine listing it as one of top 10 fabulous restaurants in US with incredible view. Our babysitter had an amazing massage in their spa. If time permitted, we would have done same. La Paloma is an amazing resort that I highly recommend for anyone visiting the Tucson area.

Room Tip: Ask Jose at front desk for options that fulfill your needs.
Green Features: Beyond anything I've ever seen, including dog eco friendly practice!!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank CarlieB1019
Glenn_Sampert, General Manager at Westin La Paloma Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you for sharing your gracious accolades of our associates. I’m sorry to read that this trip was during a stressful time. I’m delighted to know we provided you and your boys a home away from home. I do hope you will return soon to Tucson and spend time together filled with fun and great memories for years to come. Be well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 27 August 2014

This is a very large resort. It is now well marked and way to miss turn off main road to find entrance.
We stayed 3 nights as this was a beautiful. Scenic location on a hill overlooking Tucson city.
The hotel is close to some shopping centers, and to the canyon, but far from downtown Tucson and points further south, such as Pima, Titan Silo and caverns.
We liked the large room with small refrigerator, and large bathroom and private balcony
It was very quiet in Jan and much too chilly to use the outdoor pool.
The parking is far from some of the rooms. We were given a ride in a golf cart when we arrivd to help get our suitcases to our room.
This hotel is clean, quiet and has recently been updated.
All rooms have an outside entrance.

Room Tip: Ask for room closer to parking lot. It took almost 7 minutes to get to lot. There is another parking...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CanadaKids
Thank you for sharing your review. I hope you may return for a serene weekend this fall. We’ll have warm days, great for pool time and cool evenings, perfect for S’more’s by the AZuL fire pits. Stay well, Glenn Sampert, General Manager