“Business Trip”

Hyatt Place Tucson Airport
Ranked #42 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 27 January 2007

Stayed here for 3 nights on business. We have a corporate rate since our office is in Tucson, so I was able to get a $99 rate for Monday-Wednesday.

Checked in and was put into room 220. Everything seemed ok, but noticed the toilet was running. Upon inspection, there was hot water in the toilet tank. They just finished remodeling all the rooms to convert to Hyatt Place, but some of the plumbing appears to be a little crossed. Called the front desk and they quickly reassigned me to Room 208 down the hall. Manager brought up the new key, no problems.

Rooms are very nice. Same basic AmeriSuites layout with the Hyatt Place upgrade. Very comfortable beds with down comforters. New granite counters, shower was very nice. Shower curtain has the curved shower curtain rod to give more room. New couch, leather ottoman, refrigerator and safe in the room. Also a nice desk and free high speed wireless internet. Highlight is the 42 HD plasma TV. Swivels so you can watch it from the bed or the couch area. HBO free plus a variety of other HD and regular channels.

I did notice that the bathroom faucet in Rm 208 was loose, although it worked fine. Also noticed a small leak from the toilet in the bathroom. I'm guessing the plumbing contractor wasn't the highest quality, so make sure you check out the plumbing when you check in right away.

Breakfast is ok, mostly carbs. Not a lot of fruit, but they do have make your own waffles (cups of batter you put into a waffle iron), sausage patties and pre-made cheese omelettes, bagels, cereal, muffins, etc. Breakfast can get busy, so get there early.

Exercise room looked good, didn't have time to stop in.

I didn't have any problems with security while I was there, although I had a rental car with no valuables in it.

I'm guessing the rates will go up when they officially rename the property to Hyatt Place, but it's a great deal at $99. Lightyears better than the old AmeriSuites.

Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank Chocochef

Reviewed 14 January 2007

The hotel and room was nice, everything else sucked!!

When we arrived at the hotel we thought how nice it looked and were impressed by how nic ethe room was. Very nice TV, and very nice beds.

We only stayed 1 night, but that was enough. When we woke for the complimentary breakfast the next morning I went downstairs to eat promptly at 7:00 am when brakfast was served. The had pre-made omlets but there were cold. The also had sausage patties but they were cold. The rest of the breakfast items were ok. (bagels, muffins, cereal)

Then as we went to depart, we walked out to our 2001 Dodge Durango only ro find that our car door locks were busted to pieces!! I immediately walked back into the hotel to tell the desk clerk and her reply was (oh this happens all the time around here) I said Oh my god!! And you could have not told me this when I went to check in? She said there are signs posted saying that they were not responsible for anything stolen off of their property. I immediately asked for the Manager and after a few minutes he came out. I told him what had happened and he said he apologizes, but they do have signs posted. We walked outside so that he could see our truck.

He said he drove around when he came in this morning to look for glass from broken car windows. I could not beleive my ears! So I guess this is the norm for this hotel for this kind of thing to happen. I told him this is supposed to be a Hyatt hotel and you can't afford cameras or security with a problem like this! So the good deal we thought we were getting turned out to cost us $1000.00 for a 1 night stay!!!

So please whatever you do, I would definately try and avoid this hotel!!

Gary Washburn
Glendale, AZ

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank ThePayrollGuy
Reviewed 11 November 2006

The minute we arrived at the AmeriSuites in Tucson, we felt welcome and comfortable. Outstanding service, fabulous amenities, and a quiet location make this an enjoyable place to stay! The hotel appears newer than the others around it. Upon entering, front desk staff made us feel welcome. There was hot coffee and tea available the evening we arrived, along with cold tea, cookies, and fresh oranges and apples. There was hard candy at the front desk, and a variety of complimentary newspapers available, including USA Today. When checking in, guests are advised that if smoking occurs in a non-smoking room, there will be a cleaning $200 fee. I think this directive is fantastic for people like my family and I who become ill when exposed to smoke!

Staff advised that there is a complimentary shuttle that will take guests to and from the hotel within a five mile range. In addition, there are restaurants within that five mile radius that include: Olive Garden, Burger King, Chili’s, Denny’s, Cattletown Steakhouse, Chopstix, etc., as well as restaurants located within nearby hotels.

AmeriSuites had a sign posted that said they were in the process of changing the hotel to a “Hyatt Place” Hotel. We happened to be assigned Room #123 – I appreciated this, as I requested a room on a lower floor due to my aged parent. Our hotel was located next to the small conference rooms. No problem with noise or traffic. Our room had just been remodeled earlier in the week. It was absolutely beautiful, modern, clean, and comfortable.

There is a sectional sofa bed with leather covered ottoman. The area was well lit. My husband and I slept on the sofa bed and found that it was OK – a sofabed is a sofabed, whether it is brand new or not. The hotel also has a granite covered wet bar with a coffee maker and small refrigerator. The area above the sink has its own light. Under the sink, there is a key controlled safet deposit box. At the small writing desk, there is a nice sized lamp and a cordless telephone. I was able to access the free wireless Internet easily with my computer from within my room and throughout the hotel. Initially, I could not access the Internet, and front desk staff allowed me to speak with the Hyatt IT Help Desk so I could resolve the problem (the problem was with my computer and not the hotel).

The highlight of our room is a well placed 42” plasma TV. The room is very large with the sectional sofa on one side and a five feet wide ceiling to floor wall with three small shoji screens that divide the beds from the sofa area. Our room had two double beds with modern headboards, lighting, bed coverings, and throw pillows. There is a corded telephone between both beds. Under the plasma TV is a very nice, modern, stainless steel with plastic lid ice bucket with four glasses. There is a comment card with stationary and local visitor information.

The closet is roomy with an iron and ironing board. The sink is located next to the closet. Next to the sink is additional counter space and three drawers, which is nice for toiletries and personal items. There is a 1875 watt hair dryer and a Bible in the drawers. Lighting over the sink is well placed. Separated by door is the commode and shower/tub with shower curtain extender so the curtain does not stick to you when showering. Our view from the room was of the adjacent hotel.

The Fitness Center is open 24 hours and is key operated. There is a TV in the fitness room, along with two treadmills, one elliptical machine, and one stationary bike – all Life Fitness brands. In addition, there is an ab station, a workout bench, and an incline workout bench with free weights. The swimming pool is on the south end of the complex. There are ample chaise lounges, and the pool is heated only by the Arizona sun. Access to the pool area is by room key, as are the side doors to the hotel. Pets are no longer accepted.

The Bountiful Breakfast Buffet is served from Monday – Friday, 6 a.m. to 9 a.m., and Saturday and Sunday from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. Items served include egg and cheese omletes, sausage, bagels, English muffins, toast, an assortment of muffins, dry cereal, hard boiled eggs, a make-your-own waffles area, cottage cheese, fruit, juice, and milk.

The hotel is very close to the Tucson International Airport. However, we did not hear any airplane noise.

The highlight of the hotel is the fact that staff is so friendly and helpful. Staff really care and are professional and knowledgeable. They bend over backwards to be kind and welcoming, and call you by your last name. The amenities are just fantastic and very much worth the price (good value).

This is my first time in Tucson. I would have to say that a person would need to have a rental car if you plan to venture past the five mile zone of the hotel and not relying on the shuttle. There are few restaurants within walking distance. It took us approximately 20 minutes on surface streets to travel to an area off of Speedway Boulevard and Swan. Also, in some areas, the City of Tucson there are no streetlights, so it can get dark at times (there are streetlights on Tucson Boulevard, the street in which the hotel is on). This is just a side note and has nothing to do with the hotel.

The hotel itself is absolutely fantastic! The amenities are terrific, and a great value for the price. I highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
4  Thank VegasBling
Reviewed 15 October 2006

We were put here by Southwest Airlines when they oversold our flight. I was expecting a motel, but was pleasantly surprised. The lobby was clean, transportation very convenient, but more than anything else, the rooms were great! I'm not sure if the whole hotel has been remodeled, but our room was beautiful with great modern decor, comfortable sitting area, kitchenette, and even a 40 inch plasma tv! There is also FREE wireless internet in the rooms. I couldn't have been happier. Downside is the pool wasn't heated, and there are no restaurants on site, but they provide complimentary shuttles to any restaurant within 5 miles! I recommend this hotel!!!!

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank PaliGirl
Reviewed 14 September 2006

I booked this hotel through my frequent flyer for a four night stay.
I decided an airport hotel would be helpful for my early morning return flight, and it was only eighteen minutes away from my son.

I paid $68/night for a nice, newly renovated room with breakfast.
Since I was the first guest in the room since renovation, there were a few details I pointed out to them that needed fixing and management was very cordial.

The front desk was personable and helpful. There was really no bothersome airplane noise.

The first two guest floors were still under construction, which made the elevators messy, but there were no noise problems.

It was a really great value stay.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled solo
4  Thank odonart
Reviewed 24 April 2006

We just returned from a 4 night stay at the Amerisuites Tucson Airport. Upon entering the lobby I was pleasantly surprised. The lobby was very elegant and not at all what I usually experience at airport hotels. We had arrived in town well before check in and the staff was able to accomodate us and get us into our room which was great. Our room was not as great. Not sure what was going on with the AC, but our room was a swamp! No matter what we did with the AC controls to try to improve things, the room remained damp for our entire 4 night stay. Our non-smoking room had a sofa sleeper with cigarette burns on it. Everything was dingy and damp. As we looked around the hotel more we discovered we were staying at a "theme" hotel! The theme here was "out of order". Ice machines on several floors(including ours), the soap dispenser in the laundry, the treadmill in the fitness center, the water fountain in the lobby, and the ATM machine all had out of order signs on them. Near the end of our visit, my son jokingly put an out of order sign on our suite door. Breakfast was hit or miss. The first day there were bagels, but not cream cheese. Apples were the only fruit offered. The next day, all of the omelets were gone with several hours of breakfast yet to go. Every single day the sausage was cold. And juice had to be gotten early because near the end of breakfast, you basically only got orange colored water out of the juice machine. The only really positive to the place was the pool. It was wonderfully warm, like bath water. And usually really quiet. Midway through the week, we switched to the Embassy Suites on Broadway. It really made the rest of the week more enjoyable.

• Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank kissmygrits27
Reviewed 22 January 2006

The hotel seems to be in pretty good condition, however some of the amenities are showing signs of wear. The peep hole cover was falling off my door, and I could also hear people in the rooms across the hall.

Cleanliness was ok but not a top priority at this hotel. All in all I think it was an ok place to stay and I would stay again in the future.

• Stayed: December 2005, travelled on business