“Average”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Stamford, Connecticut
“Average”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

Nice authentic Caribbean ambiance. My comment is based in several drinks and dishes we sampled... Overall I was disappointed as the food and drinks were both average nothing spectacular. I have had better Jamaican dishes in NYC. The staff was extremely pleasant, courteous and friendly. The best meal on the menu was the oxtail. Braised ribeye, jerk chicken were just average. Would definitely give it another try.

Connecticut
“"Average"”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

After much persuading, I visited Ripe a 2nd time (after vowing not to go back again). This time, I went with a couple who simply love it. Although my experience the 2nd time was a little better than the first time, it wasn't good enough for me to say i'll be back.

I guess i am just expecting more from a Jamaican Restaurant. The menu is "extremely" limited. With only 5 choices for dinner, and none of the choices are Brown Stew Chicken, which i've come to expect from any Jamaican spot i've gone to as a staple. I decided on the Jerk Chicken, that included brown rice and peas and a salad. The chicken was good, but not the best. I also had a rum punch, which was also just "ok", but a little on the weak side. We ordered the banana boat as a starter, which was actually VERY very good... it was a banana cooked and stuffed with codfish... definitely recommend trying that if you go.

Although I don't think i would go back, I would say that there seems to be a lot of regulars and this place definitely has familiar type of atmosphere, meaning that everyone knows everyone else... which makes it very friendly.

Overall, it's a no go for me, but don't let that stop you from trying it....

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank PAJ-G
North Pole, Alaska, United States
“Lovely Experience”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

I rate this place very good because after a few visits the dinner menu gets old.....great atmosphere.....good food lovely staff....good music. Codfish spring rolls is absolutely delicious and a nice little bar scene. If you're looking for a nice evening with friends or a new date just to be comfy and get to know each other this as a nice atmosphere. You will not be disappointed with the food or the service.

The outdoor seating is good but that's only available in the summertime.

• Visited October 2013
New York City, New York
“The experience, the food, THE DRINKS.”
Reviewed 2 June 2013

If you're looking for authentic, this is it. From the outside it looks like a local dive- no big signs, no large address, no valet. Its impossible to tell that its even a restaurant that serves food. When you walk in, you find a dark bar with a few high chairs. Nothing special. The restaurant in the back is not large and seating is intimate, but when your first drink and appetizers come, you know you've found something very special. There is garden seating as well. I could spoil the surprises by telling readers about the food, but I need readers to go on their own. Let me close by saying this: last summer 2012, rolling blackouts knocked out power to Ripe. We walked in and were told that the bar was still operation, and the grill had jerk chicken on it. Enough said. By the time the lights came back on, we could care less and ended up staying for at least 3 hours. (I've been a few times more since of course lol)

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank MsAdinah
“Ripe oh ripe”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I had the fry fish on December 8th and while it's seasoned very well it needed to be scaled properly, found scales on it wasn't happy. Additionally the rice and peas while passable needed some more coconut milk along w/ more scotch bonnet flavor. My friend in the party had the jerk rib eye, again while seasoned the choice of meat wasn't the best as it was very fatty. I had the bedroom bully, word of advise only have 1 if you're a light weight, 2 if you're bold anything above that you asking for it. The plantain boat was good as usual but Ripe is skimping on the caviar on top. Overall dinner @ ripe wasn't bad but they are slipping.

• Visited December 2012