“History the Chamber of Commerce Way”

Salem Heritage Trail Tour
Ranked #25 of 30 Tours in Salem
Salem, Massachusetts
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“History the Chamber of Commerce Way”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

I found it distracting to move three centuries from historic to local businesses presentation. For me it was confusing as I felt like I was drifting in and out of advertisements for local businesses.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank John A

Boston, Massachusetts
322 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 450 helpful votes
“Do a little research online; do the tour on your own”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

The Salem historical tour is well laid out, and like the Boston Freedom Trail, they used red paint to outline the path for tourists to take. There is a big difference between this tour in Boston – Boston is ONLY focused on the historical points and the Salem Tour seems to also be interested in leading tourists by businesses and restaurants that really aren’t historical in nature. Luckily, we veered off the tour to enjoy some of the beautiful old homes in Salem.

I didn't see much benefit in taking the trolley as everything (except Winter Island) is in easy walking distance.

Visited May 2012
4 Thank surfinginflorida
San Antonio, Texas
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“We could have gotten more history from a guide book”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

First of all, I have to admit we were not there at the best time to be moving around in a crowd....we were there two weekends before Halloween, a fall festival was going on and the downtown area was packed. Our guide, who was supposed to be a highwayman, seemed more interested in honing his stand-up act than giving serious history information. Granted, much of downtown Salem has changed through the years, so there is a lot of "so-and-so used to be here." The tour was supposed to be two hours; it lasted about an hour and 15 minutes. We didn't pay much for it, but we didn't get much in return. There were about 100 people in our group, and unless you were standing by the guide, you couldn't hear a thing he was saying. The tour company is based on Boston-- we took their heritage walking tour in Boston last year and it was much better. Maybe it might work when not so many people in town.

Visited October 2011
New York
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Well It Was Not My Favorite”
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I enjoyed the tour but i didnt really get the point of this!

Plano, TX
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“I adored it!”
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Growing up, and hearing of the tragedy of the Salem WitchTrials.. I had always wanted to visit the haunted town. My husband suprised me with the vacation and off we went. This was my first time being further north than oklahoma and I absolutely adored the hospitality and charm of Salem. The walking tour was very informative but wear comfy shoes! I now have a 7 year plan to move from Texas to Salem. I loved the place THAT much!

1 Thank singbluebird