“Yummy crepes for all tastes”
Review of Gulu-Gulu Cafe

Gulu-Gulu Cafe
Ranked #8 of 237 Restaurants in Salem
Price range: US$0 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Czech
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed 5 August 2014

You can choose from a wide range of savory and/or sweet crepes or build your own. Pleasant, informal outdoor or indoor dining. The servers are good.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We used to live in Salem and make frequent visits back because Salem is a really nice place to visit. We noticed a new-to-us cafe on Essex and made not as we wandered town. Eventually we came back around and decided to get a table inside and give it a try. That was a smart move.

The options for crepes are extensive, there are breakfast crepes, lunch crepes, dessert crepes. As well, there are standard fair: sandwiches , wraps, etc.

There is an excellent array of beers, including many, many Belgian beers (a personal favorite of mine).

The waitstaff were very attentive, the atmosphere was light and friendly. There was fun, very witchy-kitschy artwork on the ways, and there are a bunch of boardgames to play. There is a stage and I've read that they have shows and it looks like they might have projected entertainment at times, too. All in all very funky and positive. The decoration of the place is very sweet, very Salem as I remember it from years back and bring to bare the kind of, "if we just paint this old furniture it will be new and different" sensibility.

The cost of lunch for the two of us, with tip was $33.
We had 2 sodas and beer and two sandwiches, and those meals came with some chips and a small, lovely salad with just a little dressing. It was so good it had me re-evaluating my preference for too much dressing!

We'll be going back for certain.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

My husband and I have been in transition for the past few months without a kitchen to really call our own. So,needless to say we have eaten out a lot in the past months as my many reviews have shown. As we are just about to end this 4 month holiday we happened to be in Salem yesterday and happened upon the Gulu Gulu Cafe! I can only say amazing from our over stuffed panini with the most amazing bread to our warm banana bread with a strawberry beer. The flavors,the service the food Yum Yum Yum!

GuluGuluCafe, General Manager at Gulu-Gulu Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Hello Gina!

So glad to hear we're doing right by you! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Arrived starving on Sunday afternoon & got a bar stool and a gigantic, delicious panini sandwich with chips & salad. Just rode my bike 40 miles and was starving and this did the trick --- bread was grand and stuffed with good things in a portion that satisfied me. Price surprisingly under $10. To top it off, the staff here work as a team to make sure you feel welcome and are happy there. Let's keep this place going strong!

Hello Judy!

So glad to hear we're doing right by you! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

Stopped in on a Saturday night bc there was a band playing. The place was kind of empty. We sat in a corner near the stage. The chairs were wobbly and a little dirty. The jazz band was not really that great, they really just seemed to be making noise. After waiting a while to be recognized the friendly waitress came over and handed us a really lengthy drink menu, if you can't find something you like there's a problem. I had an espresso and my fiancé had an Irish coffee. The espresso was good but he thought the coffee was a little too strong. That was the only thing we had bc the staff was not very attentative and there was some creepy folk in there so we just wanted out. Their beer menu will def bring us back but maybe in the daytime

Dear Melissa,

Thank you for your candid review and for trying us out! We're definitely a relaxed place that welcomes all walks of life, but relaxed does not mean inattentive, and welcoming does not mean we want people making others uncomfortable. I do hope you'll give us another try. Our live music is very eclectic -- we like the fact that you never know what you'll get on any given night -- so whether people like the music or not is pretty hit or miss. I see you wrote your review on July 13. Is this the day of your visit? I love to get feedback, both positive and negative. It really helps us grow and improve.

Should you feel up to giving us another try, if you like, ask if I'm here. I'd love to meet you.