“"Pristine elegance"”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amelia Payson House
Ranked #4 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Pelham, Massachusetts
“"Pristine elegance"”
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed in Salem at the Amanda Payson House in mid-May and could not have been more satisfied. The historic house was pristine, located near the Commom walking distance from everything. The breakfasts were delicious and the hosts had thought of every detail to make their guests comfortable. We stayed in a very quiet room in the back of the house with a great mattress, parked our car in their off street designated spots and ate twice at Bella Verona while visiting the spectacular Peabody Essex Museum. We will certainly return to Amanda Payson to stay whenever we are in Salem, MA.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SusanPavel
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this review, 4 June 2013
Thank you Susan and Pavel for posting your kind remarks on TripAdvisor. It’s always good to hear of successful visits to Salem and that our B&B contributed to the overall great time. And, I’m never surprised to hear that folks enjoy multiple dinners at the Bella Verona; where folks have commented to us that it was their “best meal in life”. Thanks again……Ada May & Don

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Sheffield, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I was so happy to have found this B&B. The house itself is lovely, and I enjoyed a large and comfy room in the front of the house. There was a small communal sitting room with coffee and tea and snacks and a fridge if you wanted to store something of your own. The breakfast each morning was delicious with fresh fruit, scone, eggs, cereal and yogurt and endless coffee and tea. The hosts, Ada and Donald are two of the nicest people you would ever want to meet and very attuned to their guests needs. I'm planning to visit again next spring.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Frances R
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this review, 15 May 2013
Thanks Frances for posting your comments on TripAdvisor….We are so glad you had a pleasant stay during our opening weekend. It’s always nice to have an unscathed opening, even after 29 years. Salem was certainly abuzz that weekend and the Poetry Festival was the highlight of so many activities. A great spring fling for sure……….Again, thank you for taking the time to post a review and for your kind compliments of our Bed & Breakfast…..
Warmly,
Ada May & Donald
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We were passing through Salem doing a tour of New England and decided to do a stopover but we hadn't booked anywhere. I'd researched a couple of options and this was one that took my liking and didn't disappoint. We were greeted warmly by Donald (the owner) and as luck would have it they had a room for the night. Check-in process fuss-free and quick with Donald explaining how to access the properties off street parking and giving local information we might find useful. Our room was delightful, tastefully decorated with nice linens and towels. There was a TV in the room with satellite channels and free wi-if access which we had no problems accessing. The bathroom was clean with nice toiletries and good size towels. Sleep quality was good, nice comfy bed but stand-out thing of the stay was the breakfast we enjoyed at Ada's friendly and very well stocked table. Breakfast is much like an extended family affair. One large farmhouse style table which all guests use and are joined by their hosts. It was simply one of the nicest breakfasts I've had! Lovely homemade scones, great preserves, loads of fresh fruit and good conversation with the other guests.

Would definitely recommend this B&B, lovely!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sunny636
Boksburg, South Africa
Reviewed 23 January 2013

On our recent trip to the US we stayed in 8 different locations but the one that will always stay in my heart is Amelia Payson House. It's beautifully kept by the nicest couple you could ever wish to meet. Breakfast every morning was a delight with excellent fresh food, great conversation filled with humour and, if required, our whole day mapped out for us. Ada and Don have a great wealth of knowledge regarding the history of Salem and tell it in a very interesting way. I can't compare it to any other B&B in Salem and never will be able to as it would definitely be the only place I would ever stay again should I return.
Location - Brilliant
Cleanliness - Cleanest place I have ever seen
Rooms - ours was huge
Many thanks Ada and Don. You made our visit memorable.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anniemay259
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 November 2012

This is a great place to stay while in Salem. Location is great and Ada and Donald are lovely. The B and B was very clean and comfortable. Each morning Ada prepared a delicious breakfast with scones, waffles, fresh fruit, granola, cereal, tea and coffee.
Anything you need to know about Salem, they can tell you!
I would highly recommend Amelia Payson House to anyone.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank krisindaw
Fairhope, Alabama
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I have been to Salem every year for the last 7 years. And this year my best friend and I stayed at Amelia Payson House. First time staying there but not my last!!!! I loved the house and the owners. Ida and Don are wonderful host. The rooms are very open and large with your own bathroom and to say that it is clean is an understatement. Ida keeps the rooms so clean and fresh made beds everyday. She makes a bed military style. I swear there isn't one wringle in her sheets (that are nice and clean everyday). And the bathroom..... you could eat off the floor it is so immaculate. I loved,loved,loved my stay with them. I had forgotten my running shoes and Ida offered hers to me if I could wear them. Now that is something you don't get everyday or at impersonal hotels/motels. I HIGHLY,HIGHLY recommend this B&B!!! And it is only 2 blocks from everything Salem has going on in October. If you get the chance to stay here...TAKE IT!!! You will be glad you did.

Room Tip: Our room had 1 queen and 1 twin. It would be perfect for friends vacay or weekend trip. Our room als...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Salem67
California
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This Bed and Breakfast was Excellent! We are BB's people and this BB was the cleanest I've been in. Their hospiatlity was wonderful, our flight was a horrible one and we arrived at 8AM they let us stay in the livingroom to rest until our room was ready how thoughtful is that! Highly reccommend this Bed and Breakfast.

Room Tip: If you want a CLEAN room and don't mind a continetal style breakfast then stay here you wont be...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Boston-Peabody
Coach House Inn
Coach House Inn
#7 of 9 in Salem

Been to Amelia Payson House? Share your experiences!