“Great B&B and quite yet close to action location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amelia Payson House
Ranked #5 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Santa Cruz, California
“Great B&B and quite yet close to action location”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Off the main noisy path but so close you can walk to the common in 1 minute and downtown in 3-7 minutes. Nice, helpful, delightful couple who run it. Well appointed, immaculate rooms with lots of nice touches like bottled water kept in fridge in sitting room by the guest rooms along with great coffee maker and single cup brews from Peets to more exotic fare. Good, simple breakfast and overall a great stay.

Do remember its a B&B so no elevator or bell boy to carry luggage, feels like home in so many ways! Lovely. Thanks

Room Tip: Keep blinds closed at night for darkness, all rooms nice. Mine had a queen plus a single so if I'...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank sayyestolife
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for sharing your helpful comments on Trip Advisor. So glad we could make your stay comfortable, convenient and above all, clean. They always say, “it’s the simple things that make the stay” and if you hit those marks, you’re well on your way to making guests feel welcome and satisfied. We try not to forget these little things, even after 30 years. Thanks again….
Ada May & Don

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Clinton Township, Michigan
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I called to book for two nights and told him we were driving from michigan so we would be in late the 1st night he said we can't check in after 9pm. I couldn't guarantee that so I told him how about I just book the second night and he said it would be better to just check in to a hotel in town. I asked if he was turning away my business,he laughed and said "well I wouldn't say that" but that's exactly what he was saying. EXTREMELY UNPROFESSIONAL . Only checked 1 box because I had to to leave feedback.

Stayed July 2013
7 Thank TBBright
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
We will not apologize for not taking your reservation when you wanted to arrive very late at night. My husband was surely more realistic about a drive straight through from Michigan to Massachusetts and how long that would actually take. And besides, who says we have to receive guests at all hours of the night because that it what you wish to do……While you thought his suggestions were unprofessional, I think you were selfish to think we had endure your plan. His suggestion to call a hotel was because they have a staff that usually covers a desk for those late hours. A small Bed & Breakfast is a staff of two and cannot be everything to everyone. I was present during this conversation as Donald calmly tried to make suggestions when you hung up on him when you realized you were not going to get your way. He was trying to suggest that it might be best for you stay in the same place for both nights as moving between two properties is usually more inconvenient for the guest. I think we made the right decision. A head in a bed is not our mission. After 30 years, our longevity and love of this business has continued because we know our limitations and allow us to better serve our guests……
Ada May Roberts
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My husband and I (along with 2 friends from England) enjoyed 2 nights at the Amelia Payson House in Salem last week (6/18/14-6/19/14) and had a wonderful time. We had just spent 4 nights at another B&B in Boston, which was a subpar experience compared to the Amelia Payson House (but that is another story for another time).

Long story short, we were immediately impressed at the hospitality afforded us upon our arrival at Amelia Payson. Ada and Donald are exceptionally personable and make you feel welcomed as soon as your feet hit the door. They know how to run a B&B as evidenced by the visit we had.

I am one of those "neat freaks" who is OCD beyond logic...so I cannot tell you how thrilled I was when I saw the cleanliness of our room. I mean, even my picky OCD eye could not locate anything at all that needed to be cleaned. It is clear that Ada and Donald take pride in how they maintain their rooms, as our room was spotless and had everything we needed (including some chocolates, which they thankfully replenished for us each day).

Breakfast each morning was a delight, as we were able to have some really nice conversations with Ada and Donald. Let me just say that Ada is a hoot...so take the time to sit and chat with her because she will certainly spark your interest with her vast knowledge. Both Ada and Donald have a wonderful sense of humor, which was really nice to see.

Lastly I must mention that after checking out of Amelia Payson that our taxi (that Ada called to order for us) never showed up. We were hoping to get to the train station early enough to catch a certain train. After waiting outside to no avail for about 15 minutes, all the sudden a van pulls up beside it and low and behold it is Ada!! She had enough of our waiting and decided to drive us to the train station in her own vehicle. Seriously, she is amazing and saved us so much time (and even money).

In closing, I will most certainly return back to Amelia Payson House and highly recommend it to anyone who wants to stay at a centrally located, clean, extremely well-managed B&B. It is that good.

Room Tip: We stayed in 202 (I think that was the room). It was pink and cute with all the necessities that on...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AFinchMom
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank you for your kind comments and review of your stay at our B&B. So glad that we met your 5 star expectations; especially after a “not so great” experience at another B&B. As for the taxi….I couldn’t believe they didn’t come after singing their praises and having called them many times before. I would have taken you down originally myself if I thought my van would hold four adults and the luggage. Now I know my van is “the van that could”. And certainly, there’s nothing better than Ada May’s wild ride to the train station….....
Meriden, Connecticut
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Recently went to Salem to visit with our son & his family. The facility that we usually stay at was totally booked so we searched the web and come upon the Amelia Payson House. The inn is centrally located and it offers off the street parking which is a real benefit. It's very clean and well appointed and very comfortable. The inn keepers were welcoming and very friendly (greated us at the door). The grounds were lovely and the room was bright, airy and very comfortable - the breakfasts were wonderful. Can't say enough about the Inn. Would definitely stay again. Larry & Denise

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Denise B
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed at the Amelia Payson House in Salem last summer and would recommend it highly if you're planning a trip to Salem. Ada and Donald were great hosts - friendly and helpful. Without their advice we'd have missed an excellent exhibit at the Essex-Peabody Museum, a fine meal at local restaurants and the easiest way to get to Boston for the day. The location is perfect - walking distance to all of the downtown Salem attractions and a fairly easy walk to the train if you want to ride into Boston. There's off-street parking in the back, which made it easy to forget the car while we were there.

We stayed in a room on the second floor that was very spacious and pleasantly decorated. It faced the front and was very quiet. The inn is spotless - the number one requirement as far as I'm concerned. There's an area with tea/coffee/water and a small fridg with milk etc. - very welcome at the end of a day of walking around or for an evening cup of tea.

Breakfast is a definite highlight - tasty and filling, prepared in-house by the owners. I was the only tea-drinker at the table yet they graciously made me a nice pot of tea every morning. I'm not usually a fan of sitting around the table at breakfast talking with total strangers. However, Ada and Donald have a way of making everyone feel comfortable and before I knew it, I was chatting along with the rest and actually enjoying the breakfast conversation.

All in all this is a great place to stay in Salem - we plan to go back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stargazer2374
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Thank you for posting your experience of Salem and our B&B on TripAdvisor. It’s always rewarding to know we have helped to make a stay the best that it can be.
We are also happy to hear that you found our accommodations quiet, clean, and having all the comforts of home. I will agree, that our location is a prime one; close to everything, a short stroll to and from all the busy downtown activities.
Both Don and I have always said that breakfast has always been the highlight of being in the B&B business; an opportunity to get to know our guests and communicate any last minute events that may be going on in Salem.
Again, thank you for taking the time to review our B&B and we will hold you to your word of returning. ;-)
Ada May & Don
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I'm a native of the area and returned with a friend to show her the sights of the North Shore. This B&B was a superb choice for several reasons. First, the building itself is beautiful from a historic perspective. The owners, who have been in the B&B business for decades, have maintained it beautifully. The dining room is historically charming, and the breakfasts included an array of self-service items like freshly baked scones/muffins, fresh fruit, and yogurt. Second, Ada and Don are seasoned professionals. I was stunned to learn how long they have run this inn. Since they are so experienced, they have worked out all the kinks and offer guests every possible amenity from free coffee and tea all day long, to books and games, a small fridge and microwave, etc. Finally, the location is top-notch. It is directly off a main route heading from Beverly, through Salem, and on to Peabody or Danvers. The inn is also located off the Salem Common so you are in the heart of the historic district and very near the Peabody Essex Museum, House of the Seven Gables, the Witch Museum and Pickering Wharf.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank SheilaB5
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This bed and breakfast was a perfect choice for our stay in Salem. The room was quaint and comfortable. Breakfast was delicious and served beautifully in the dinning room complete with china and friendly conversation. There is a small sitting area located at the top of the landing where snacks, coffee and tea are available anytime. Since we are early risers who enjoy a cup of coffee first thing in the morning this was perfect. We took the 8 pm ghost tour which was a lot of fun. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#4 of 9 in Salem
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Amelia Payson House? Share your experiences!