“One of Salem's high points”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amelia Payson House
Ranked #5 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“One of Salem's high points”
Reviewed 18 April 2006

My sister( visiting from England-the place where bed and breakfasts are generally desirable) and I, stayed only one night at the Amelia P. Unfortunately that was the only night with a vacancy. We loved it there
and the breakfast was wonderful. So much variety too.
and I thought I was picky! You can't please everybody
and some people are impossible to please. How sad! We spent the other night at a motel. Same price, no charm, and a true US/continental breakfast of coffee and donuts. Hope the present owners are here in 2 years. That's when my sister plans a return visit.
Sheila from Grafton

• Stayed October 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
vermont
Reviewed 15 April 2006

We were extremely disappointed by our experience in Salem where hotel accommodations are hard to come by.
Our bed and breakfast room was very nice, tastefully decorated. Everything was impeccably clean.
The bathroom was a bit of a problem. We do not care for old-fashioned bathtub where you have to climb in and climb out and have no room for your shampoo and conditioner or lotion.
Showering surrounded by plastic with your shampoo =lotion on the floor of the tub is a challenge and lacks charm.
The big disappointment was breakfast, we were served some kind of eggy concoction that we forced ourselves to eat so as not to offend our host. It was terrible and we both like eggs.
Coffee was served in a fancy china pot but ended up being tepid after the first cup.
I was dreadfully hungry and finally asked for a piece of toast which I got. A lonely one,plain.
I longed for english muffins with jam and may be even plain cereals.
We left right after and bought ourselves a second breakfast in town but resented having paid 150 dollars or so for the place.

• Stayed September 2005
1 Thank laberlugane
, Owner/Proprietor at Amelia Payson House, responded to this review, 17 April 2006
Ouch………. After 22 years, comments like this are hard to swallow. My apologies to this person for any inconvenience they experienced. Where we can’t do much to change the bathroom arrangement; this room does have a clawfoot tub, and they do tend to be more delicate with less space for toiletries. But, most people find this bathroom enjoyable because it is oversized in every other aspect. We call it the ballroom bathroom, as it is larger than an 8’x 10’room. And, there is no plastic. It has a fabric liner and a lace shower curtain.
I’m also sorry that they did not enjoy the “egg bake.” We serve this all the time and most people ask for the recipe. It is served with fresh fruit and toast or scones. With out a doubt, if we had known that they did not want, or like it, we certainly would have brought out the cereal and anything else we could to please them. We advertise a “continental breakfast”, as our lodging license permits, but we always like to expand on the menu when a good recipe comes along. My husband and I enjoyed this recipe so much at a Tucson, Arizona B&B, we adopted it for our B&B. If anyone would like the recipe, we would be glad to e-mail to you. It’s great for brunches……………

I acknowledge this person’s disappointment. With this insight, we are reminded that it is our mission to make the B&B experience flawless.

Ada & Donald Roberts, Proprietors

Reviewed 28 March 2006

My husband and I stayed at this very charming B&B while on business. It was my first B&B experience. The hosts made you feel right at home. We highly recommend it!

• Stayed October 2005, travelled on business
Illinois
Reviewed 29 September 2005

My friend and I just returned from our stay in Salem and have only GREAT things to say about this B and B! The home itself was lovely and our host and hostess lovelier still. Don and Ada became "our parents away from home" and were very knowledgeable about the area, giving us plenty of helpful information and hints in touring the "witch city" and surrounding towns. And, yes, there is A LOT more to Salem than "the witches". I would recommend a stay here very highly. The rooms are comfortable, the people friendly...the breakfast muffins, scones and "special" waffles absolutely delicious! I look forward to my next visit!

• Stayed September 2005
PA
Reviewed 12 August 2005

If you want the quiet, quaint surroundings of a country inn, the Amelia Payson guest house is it! The proprietors are VERY friendly and helpful. The rooms are spacious & clean. Just a wonderful place to stay. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

• Stayed May 2001
1 Thank julie101670
Reviewed 9 May 2005

I have nothing except nice things to say about the Amelia Payson House and it's proprietors. My room was extremely clean and comfortable and the proprietors were friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about Salem. I have never stayed in accomodations as excellent as the Amelia Payson House and when my husband and I return to Salem, we will definitely stay there again. On a scale of one to ten, the Amelia Payson House would get a 15! Thanks so much for an excellent vacation!!!

Reviewed 26 July 2004

Stayed at Amelia Payson house in 2002 (just happened to come across this site) and loved it. Don and Ada are outstanding innkeepers and FABULOUS bakers. I think they have ruined for all time for muffins. They are helpful, wonderful people. They made my first trip to Salem even that much more enjoyable!!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#3 of 9 in Salem
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Amelia Payson House? Share your experiences!