“A quaint little place with great hosts”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amelia Payson House
Ranked #3 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 September 2006

My boyfriend and I took a side trip to Salem and had not booked a room ahead of time. We were very pleased to find the Amelia Payson House. Ada and Donald were great hosts. Ada went out of her way for us, showing us a map of Salem and telling us where we could get a quick dinner. Her warm personality made us feel very welcome. After driving all day and not knowing if we'd even be able to stay in Salem, it was like walking into a relative's house.
The room was spacious and comfortable and the house itself is absolutely charming. The breakfast was good and more than we expected being that it is advertised as "continental."
We would definitely recommend the Amelia Payson House to friends and family.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank babygirl04

Reviewed 16 August 2006

We booked 3 rooms at the Amelia Payson House for my family in July. All 3 rooms were extremely spacious and comfortable. Every comfort was provided. We loved the location. We could walk everywhere! The street is gorgeous - lined with old mid 1800's homes - opening up on the Commons.

Don and Ada were wonderful hosts. They made sure we had everything we needed. The beds are firm, but that is a plus -- I slept very well. I loved the old claw foot tubs (which also had shower attachments). Each room had quiet A/C that worked very well, as a heat wave was approaching. We especially enjoyed reading about the history of the house, which was provided in the bedroom.

A word about breakfast. I completely disagree with a previous negative comment. I'm a vegetarian and my family eats everything, and we all thought the breakfast was excellent and filling. There was something for everyone. Breakfast was an enjoyable event, and we thoroughly enjoyed hearing about Salem politics! I highly recommend the Amelia Payson House!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank K_Crockett
Reviewed 6 August 2006

My fiance and I visited Salem for the first time to attend a friend's wedding and spent 2 nights at the Amelia Payson House with our wonderful hosts, Ada May and Donald. Coming from California on a red-eye flight, we were quite fatigued when we arrived. Ada and Don knew of our itinerary and welcomed us to Salem with open arms. They allowed us to check-in early and catch a cat nap before exploring the town.
Each morning of our stay, we were greeted with a beautifully set table and an enticing breakfast. The Robertsons also offered us the use of their passes to the Peabody Essex Museum (a must see!) and shuttled my fiance to the Phillips Library for the wedding due to rain.
Our room on the first floor was tastefully decorated and impeccably clean and comfortable. Even though it faced Winter Street, there was barely any traffic noise to disturb our sleep. If and when we return to Salem, we will definitely be staying at the Amelia Payson House with Ada and Don again!

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank Yosemitegirl
Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 June 2006

As a discerning traveler who always strives for the most memorable vacations and getaways, I'm pleased to share my opinion of a bed and breakfast property where my husband and I have stayed on two occasions. The Amelia Payson Guest House is the perfect retreat for a romantic weekend. Our hosts, the Roberts, devote themselves to providing the best in a lodging experience. This guest house is charming, and fastidious attention is paid to its maintenance and cleanliness. Of all the places my husband and I have stayed over the years, the Amelia Payson Guest House garners our guarantee of a repeat stay in the future. If you appreciate a sumptuous breakfast, congenial hosts, a peaceful atmosphere and beautiful rooms that provide a comfortable sanctuary for rest and relaxation, I highly recommend the Amelia Payson Guest House and applaud the Roberts' attention to lodging detail.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New Orleans
Reviewed 18 May 2006

Three years ago my wife and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary with a trip to New England. Our experience at the Amelia Payson House was so wonderful we have returned several times. The home is beautiful, the rooms immaculate, the location perfect. The best thing about the house however are the hosts. Ada and Don always make us feel at home. We would never stay anywhere else when we are in the Boston area.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Grafton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 18 April 2006

My sister( visiting from England-the place where bed and breakfasts are generally desirable) and I, stayed only one night at the Amelia P. Unfortunately that was the only night with a vacancy. We loved it there
and the breakfast was wonderful. So much variety too.
and I thought I was picky! You can't please everybody
and some people are impossible to please. How sad! We spent the other night at a motel. Same price, no charm, and a true US/continental breakfast of coffee and donuts. Hope the present owners are here in 2 years. That's when my sister plans a return visit.
Sheila from Grafton

• Stayed: October 2005
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 April 2006

We were extremely disappointed by our experience in Salem where hotel accommodations are hard to come by.
Our bed and breakfast room was very nice, tastefully decorated. Everything was impeccably clean.
The bathroom was a bit of a problem. We do not care for old-fashioned bathtub where you have to climb in and climb out and have no room for your shampoo and conditioner or lotion.
Showering surrounded by plastic with your shampoo =lotion on the floor of the tub is a challenge and lacks charm.
The big disappointment was breakfast, we were served some kind of eggy concoction that we forced ourselves to eat so as not to offend our host. It was terrible and we both like eggs.
Coffee was served in a fancy china pot but ended up being tepid after the first cup.
I was dreadfully hungry and finally asked for a piece of toast which I got. A lonely one,plain.
I longed for english muffins with jam and may be even plain cereals.
We left right after and bought ourselves a second breakfast in town but resented having paid 150 dollars or so for the place.

• Stayed: September 2005
1  Thank laberlugane
Management response:Responded 17 April 2006

Ouch………. After 22 years, comments like this are hard to swallow. My apologies to this person for any inconvenience they experienced. Where we can’t do much to change the bathroom arrangement; this room does have a clawfoot tub, and they do tend to be more delicate with less space for toiletries. But, most people find this bathroom enjoyable because it is oversized in every other aspect. We call it the ballroom bathroom, as it is larger than an 8’x 10’room. And, there is no plastic. It has a fabric liner and a lace shower curtain.
I’m also sorry that they did not enjoy the “egg bake.” We serve this all the time and most people ask for the recipe. It is served with fresh fruit and toast or scones. With out a doubt, if we had known that they did not want, or like it, we certainly would have brought out the cereal and anything else we could to please them. We advertise a “continental breakfast”, as our lodging license permits, but we always like to expand on the menu when a good recipe comes along. My husband and I enjoyed this recipe so much at a Tucson, Arizona B&B, we adopted it for our B&B. If anyone would like the recipe, we would be glad to e-mail to you. It’s great for brunches……………

I acknowledge this person’s disappointment. With this insight, we are reminded that it is our mission to make the B&B experience flawless.

Ada & Donald Roberts, Proprietors

Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Hawthorne Hotel
SpringHill Suites Boston Peabody
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Amelia Payson House? Share your experiences!