“Perfect first B&B Experience!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amelia Payson House
Ranked #5 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Northern New Hampshire
“Perfect first B&B Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2006

My wife and I decided to finally see what Salem, MA was all about and wanted to stay in a nice place, within walking distance to everything. We found the Amelia Payson Guest House on this site, and with all of the excellent comments, we couldn't resist trying a Bed and Breakfast for the first time in all our travels. It turned out to be more than we expected. Right from our arrival, we were warmly greeted by Ada, given a map and overview of the town, shown our beautiful room and sent on our way to explore the area. This guest house is on a beautiful street and is within walking distance to EVERYTHING! There's a lot to do in this town, and it was great to park and not have to drive to be exposed to everything there is to see. Our room, at the top of a winding grand staircase, was very beautifully decorated with antiques and had a nice firm canopy bed. The room was extremely clean and instantly brought us back to the old days! The condition and attention to detail that's been given to this property had me in awe the whole time. The home's history is extensive and it was enjoyable to be able to read about it on a printout on our desk. The room's private bathroom was very large and nicely located around a corner from the bedroom. We enjoyed relaxing in the cozy room both nights after lots of walking.....no street noise, or noise from the other guest rooms. There is a nice sitting room just outside the second floor rooms and the hosts won me over by showing us a Senseo coffee machine, with tons of dark coffee pods right outside our room! Loved it! We relaxed and drank coffee in the evening and also used the machine to have a warm cup in the morning after waking up. Ada sold me on that machine! The sitting room also has a refrigerator, phone and plenty of stuff to read. Very convenient! Let's not forget to mention our excellent breakfast, which was served in 1st class style in a beautiful dining room both mornings by Ada and Don. Great coffee, juice, waffles, fruit, delicious egg bake and toast. We enjoyed great, homey, conversation with them and the other guests, and got lots of tips and tidbits of info about the area. We were also given the wonderful opportunity to visit the huge, huge, Peabody-Essex Museum for free, thanks to Ada and Don letting us use their passes to get in. Overall, a more than excellent stay. We left very relaxed and satisfied with our first stay at a B&B. We're so glad we chose this one for our first try. We will definitely go back to this beauty and these nice, nice people and are already making plans to stay in this home away from home, and take the ferry into Boston. Thanks Ada and Don!
Highly Recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Location, great owners/hosts, beautiful accomodations.
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything that wasn't enjoyable
  • Tips/Secrets — This Guest House should be kept secret!!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2006

Emily and I had a wonderful holiday here. VERY thoughtful hosts had everything at their fingertips, and everything was a short walk away. The room and amenities were top drawer:tasteful with a touch of old Salem. Enjoy!
Richard Hare,
Ossining NY

• Stayed September 2006
Pacific NW, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2006

I booked this BnB after a very quick look at the website because it was a last minute trip extension after staying in Boston. I got lucky: from start to finish, my experience was terrific.

The hostess offered to pick me up at the ferry, which was an unexpected and much appreciated bonus. She gave me city and tour tips, loaned me a pass to the museum, and served a lovely, plentiful breakfast that far surpassed the "continental" style advertised. She served fresh fruit, tea or coffee, juice, and yummy home-made main dishes that differed each day. The host and hostess were helpful, personable, kind, and great conversationalists who made each meal time a pleasure for everyone. It felt like a well-planned dinner party, though it was morning.

Equally pleasing was the charm of the place: nice antiques, good books to read, games to use, and little amenities like a guest fridge that made you feel at home. Better yet were the great bed and bedding, and all the little thoughtful touches, such as; satin hangers for my nice clothes and a rolling cart for all of my toiletries for next to the great, deep, antique bathtub which was in a bathroom of dream size proportions. You could do yoga in it if you wanted! Perhaps best of all was that the cleanliness of every square inch of the inn was unsurpassed.

The location was great too, easy walks to all the sights, but a few blocks from the noisy late night restaurants/bars. I'd go back in a heartbeat. It was very, very enjoyable to stay there.

• Liked — Overall charm, cleanliness, convenience and comfort.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Call well in advance for long weekends.
  • Stayed August 2006
7 Thank Solo-Sojourner
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2006

My boyfriend and I took a side trip to Salem and had not booked a room ahead of time. We were very pleased to find the Amelia Payson House. Ada and Donald were great hosts. Ada went out of her way for us, showing us a map of Salem and telling us where we could get a quick dinner. Her warm personality made us feel very welcome. After driving all day and not knowing if we'd even be able to stay in Salem, it was like walking into a relative's house.
The room was spacious and comfortable and the house itself is absolutely charming. The breakfast was good and more than we expected being that it is advertised as "continental."
We would definitely recommend the Amelia Payson House to friends and family.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank babygirl04
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2006

We booked 3 rooms at the Amelia Payson House for my family in July. All 3 rooms were extremely spacious and comfortable. Every comfort was provided. We loved the location. We could walk everywhere! The street is gorgeous - lined with old mid 1800's homes - opening up on the Commons.

Don and Ada were wonderful hosts. They made sure we had everything we needed. The beds are firm, but that is a plus -- I slept very well. I loved the old claw foot tubs (which also had shower attachments). Each room had quiet A/C that worked very well, as a heat wave was approaching. We especially enjoyed reading about the history of the house, which was provided in the bedroom.

A word about breakfast. I completely disagree with a previous negative comment. I'm a vegetarian and my family eats everything, and we all thought the breakfast was excellent and filling. There was something for everyone. Breakfast was an enjoyable event, and we thoroughly enjoyed hearing about Salem politics! I highly recommend the Amelia Payson House!

• Liked — Location, spacious rooms, cleanliness, attention to detail
  • Disliked — No dislikes whatsoever
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
1 Thank K_Crockett
Orange County, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2006

My fiance and I visited Salem for the first time to attend a friend's wedding and spent 2 nights at the Amelia Payson House with our wonderful hosts, Ada May and Donald. Coming from California on a red-eye flight, we were quite fatigued when we arrived. Ada and Don knew of our itinerary and welcomed us to Salem with open arms. They allowed us to check-in early and catch a cat nap before exploring the town.
Each morning of our stay, we were greeted with a beautifully set table and an enticing breakfast. The Robertsons also offered us the use of their passes to the Peabody Essex Museum (a must see!) and shuttled my fiance to the Phillips Library for the wedding due to rain.
Our room on the first floor was tastefully decorated and impeccably clean and comfortable. Even though it faced Winter Street, there was barely any traffic noise to disturb our sleep. If and when we return to Salem, we will definitely be staying at the Amelia Payson House with Ada and Don again!

• Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
2 Thank Yosemitegirl
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2006

As a discerning traveler who always strives for the most memorable vacations and getaways, I'm pleased to share my opinion of a bed and breakfast property where my husband and I have stayed on two occasions. The Amelia Payson Guest House is the perfect retreat for a romantic weekend. Our hosts, the Roberts, devote themselves to providing the best in a lodging experience. This guest house is charming, and fastidious attention is paid to its maintenance and cleanliness. Of all the places my husband and I have stayed over the years, the Amelia Payson Guest House garners our guarantee of a repeat stay in the future. If you appreciate a sumptuous breakfast, congenial hosts, a peaceful atmosphere and beautiful rooms that provide a comfortable sanctuary for rest and relaxation, I highly recommend the Amelia Payson Guest House and applaud the Roberts' attention to lodging detail.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#3 of 9 in Salem
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Amelia Payson House? Share your experiences!