“Charming, Unforgetable Abode in Salem”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Amelia Payson House
Ranked #5 of 9 Salem B&B and Inns
Mississauga, Canada
“Charming, Unforgetable Abode in Salem”
Reviewed 17 June 2007

My friend and I recently stayed at the Amelia Payson House and although it was only for one night, we were throughly spoiled and impressed by what this bed and breakfast had to offer. First, we LOVED our room - it was spacious, tidy, and very clean. The decor also seemed to follow the tone set by the house structurally inside and out.
We were exhausted when we got there (10 hour drive from Mississauga to Salem), and Donald was kind enough to lug my heavy suitcase up the flight of stairs (thanks!). t was so cozy, considering the weather outside was anything but. Our poor timing found in cold weather followed by rainy (thanks to Hurricane Barry).
I have absolutely no complaints about breakfast - my friend got enjoy cereal while I indulged myself with the plentiful cornicopia of fresh fruit avialable to me. I'm a sensitive eater in the mornings so this was an added bonus. The hot tea served to us just what we needed to start the day. Not only did we get to enjoy the company of our hosts at the table, but we were able to converse with two lovely ladies also staying at the house. Overall, we were sorry to go and would highly recommend this to any who are considering staying in Salem. Both my friend and I agreed that there's something much warmer and more personal about a bed and breakfast than a hotel. I take a B&B any day.
Also, since everything was so close, we were able to leave our car parked behind the house and freely walk around the town. What a great experience!

Kathy & Kathy

• Liked — The amazing reception we recived and the comfort of our accomodations
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank FrugalK24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Chicago
Reviewed 21 May 2007

By far the best B&B I have been lucky enough to experience! Everything was perfect! The rooms were beautiful and roomy (lots more space and fun than my 4-star hotel in Boston)! Breakfast was fantastic and treats, tea & coffee were always available. But the best quality of the stay were the patrons. Ada & Donald make you feel like real guests in their home. Do not miss the chance to stay at such an incredibly beautiful home! Amelia Payson House was the icing on the cake for our trip to Salem.

• Liked — The Patrons (Ada & Donald)
  • Disliked — Nothing! Everything was Great!
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Southern California
Reviewed 12 April 2007

When you ring the bell and the wonderful Ada greets you, you know you are in for something special. The beautiful, large guest rooms are impeccably clean and nicely appointed with sizable bathrooms. The beds are comfortable. The house is within walking distance to everything you may want to see in Salem.
Breakfast was served in a common dining area and was great. Fresh fruit, freshly baked muffins, stuffed french toast...and frest juice and coffee a'plenty served by Donald.
If you have stayed at bed and breakfasts before or are a first timer, you must give Amanda Payson House a try. From the charming hosts to the comfort of the house to the great breakfast, you can't go wrong!! We can't wait to return!!

• Liked — The Hosts, the atmosphere, VERY clean and comfortable.
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank darkenfra
99.5, Owner at Amelia Payson House, responded to this review, 16 April 2007
One plus about reading reviews on this site is knowing that our guests have arrived home safely. We appreciate that you had a good time in Salem and that we could play a part as ambassadors of hospitality for Salem.
Ada May & Donald Roberts
Lancashire UK
Reviewed 22 February 2007

Found the Amelia Payson House by chance.
Wonderful house, briliant hosts.
Do not miss it.

• Stayed May 2005, travelled as a couple
Northern New Hampshire
Reviewed 12 November 2006

My wife and I decided to finally see what Salem, MA was all about and wanted to stay in a nice place, within walking distance to everything. We found the Amelia Payson Guest House on this site, and with all of the excellent comments, we couldn't resist trying a Bed and Breakfast for the first time in all our travels. It turned out to be more than we expected. Right from our arrival, we were warmly greeted by Ada, given a map and overview of the town, shown our beautiful room and sent on our way to explore the area. This guest house is on a beautiful street and is within walking distance to EVERYTHING! There's a lot to do in this town, and it was great to park and not have to drive to be exposed to everything there is to see. Our room, at the top of a winding grand staircase, was very beautifully decorated with antiques and had a nice firm canopy bed. The room was extremely clean and instantly brought us back to the old days! The condition and attention to detail that's been given to this property had me in awe the whole time. The home's history is extensive and it was enjoyable to be able to read about it on a printout on our desk. The room's private bathroom was very large and nicely located around a corner from the bedroom. We enjoyed relaxing in the cozy room both nights after lots of walking.....no street noise, or noise from the other guest rooms. There is a nice sitting room just outside the second floor rooms and the hosts won me over by showing us a Senseo coffee machine, with tons of dark coffee pods right outside our room! Loved it! We relaxed and drank coffee in the evening and also used the machine to have a warm cup in the morning after waking up. Ada sold me on that machine! The sitting room also has a refrigerator, phone and plenty of stuff to read. Very convenient! Let's not forget to mention our excellent breakfast, which was served in 1st class style in a beautiful dining room both mornings by Ada and Don. Great coffee, juice, waffles, fruit, delicious egg bake and toast. We enjoyed great, homey, conversation with them and the other guests, and got lots of tips and tidbits of info about the area. We were also given the wonderful opportunity to visit the huge, huge, Peabody-Essex Museum for free, thanks to Ada and Don letting us use their passes to get in. Overall, a more than excellent stay. We left very relaxed and satisfied with our first stay at a B&B. We're so glad we chose this one for our first try. We will definitely go back to this beauty and these nice, nice people and are already making plans to stay in this home away from home, and take the ferry into Boston. Thanks Ada and Don!
Highly Recommended!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Liked — Location, great owners/hosts, beautiful accomodations.
  • Disliked — Can't think of anything that wasn't enjoyable
  • Tips/Secrets — This Guest House should be kept secret!!
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 7 October 2006

Emily and I had a wonderful holiday here. VERY thoughtful hosts had everything at their fingertips, and everything was a short walk away. The room and amenities were top drawer:tasteful with a touch of old Salem. Enjoy!
Richard Hare,
Ossining NY

• Stayed September 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pacific NW, USA
Reviewed 30 September 2006

I booked this BnB after a very quick look at the website because it was a last minute trip extension after staying in Boston. I got lucky: from start to finish, my experience was terrific.

The hostess offered to pick me up at the ferry, which was an unexpected and much appreciated bonus. She gave me city and tour tips, loaned me a pass to the museum, and served a lovely, plentiful breakfast that far surpassed the "continental" style advertised. She served fresh fruit, tea or coffee, juice, and yummy home-made main dishes that differed each day. The host and hostess were helpful, personable, kind, and great conversationalists who made each meal time a pleasure for everyone. It felt like a well-planned dinner party, though it was morning.

Equally pleasing was the charm of the place: nice antiques, good books to read, games to use, and little amenities like a guest fridge that made you feel at home. Better yet were the great bed and bedding, and all the little thoughtful touches, such as; satin hangers for my nice clothes and a rolling cart for all of my toiletries for next to the great, deep, antique bathtub which was in a bathroom of dream size proportions. You could do yoga in it if you wanted! Perhaps best of all was that the cleanliness of every square inch of the inn was unsurpassed.

The location was great too, easy walks to all the sights, but a few blocks from the noisy late night restaurants/bars. I'd go back in a heartbeat. It was very, very enjoyable to stay there.

• Liked — Overall charm, cleanliness, convenience and comfort.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Tips/Secrets — Call well in advance for long weekends.
  • Stayed August 2006
7 Thank Solo-Sojourner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salem
Salem Waterfront Hotel & Suites
#3 of 9 in Salem
The Merchant
The Merchant
#2 of 9 in Salem

Been to Amelia Payson House? Share your experiences!